The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

If the internal volume remains the same (to 0.x liter) then I don't see that much difference.

I would not sink the mounting gasket though. It may seem strange but it actually performs better with the tiny compression of the cut-out being seemingly too small and then rounding (or chamfer) of the edges around the cut-out.

Naturally, you are welcome to test it yourself.

I'm keeping the internal volume the same (0.0x difference). The compression effect you mention, is this something you experimented with using actual woofers or is this an 'in theory' observation?

By the way, here is a render for you :) When we finish building the micro's, there will be photo's of course!
kP4uNnZ.jpg

Started cutting the holes today!
First time with a Jigsaw, a bit tricky to start but got the hang of it quickly.
Sanding is gonna be a long slog, oh well its a labor of love.
This 9 layer ply is a dream to work with. I am loving this project.
First Pics of my build.....

These are the solar im planning on using, they are 2w and i plan to use one either side....

So the two panels will give me only 4w, would i need a solar charge controller???? Any advice on this is welcome.
All the best Gav

Started cutting the holes today!
First time with a Jigsaw, a bit tricky to start but got the hang of it quickly.
Sanding is gonna be a long slog, oh well its a labor of love.
This 9 layer ply is a dream to work with. I am loving this project.
First Pics of my build.....
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

These are the solar im planning on using, they are 2w and i plan to use one either side....

So the two panels will give me only 4w, would i need a solar charge controller???? Any advice on this is welcome.
All the best Gav

You shouldn't need a solar charge controller if you are using 2x 7.4ah sla's

Hello. I've been reading this for a while and want to say thanks for all of the information and inspiration.

A few weeks ago I decided to have a go at building a boominator with some of the ply I had lying around, some piezo tweeters (qtx) a colleague had. I ordered the boominator kit from blue aran with 407n tweeters for future use.

I am currently using a muse 2020 amp and running it all off a 75Ah leisure battery. I also use the battery to power some 10W flood lights, hence the large battery. And move the system on a trolley.

Instagram
Instagram
http://instagram.com/p/ohJB9zD_n2/

I haven't bonded the woofers to the centre brace as I am planning on re-using them in a neater, less rushed build.

I am planning on using the hp10w with 407n. I am after recommendations for amplifiers, filters etc. I have read through pages of the topic and the wiki but can't find a concise recommendation.

I am considering using 18mm ply, cnc cut. The reason for the extra thickness is due to using the boominator at bmx tracks and skateparks it has already been crashed into and damaged (minor chips and a small dent). Will the thickness have any detrimental effect other than weight?

Last edited:
My post seems to have just disappeared.

I want to say thanks for the inspiration and information in this topic.

I have just completed a quick boominator build using bits of ply and switches left over from other projects. I used hp10w, 407n and a muse amp.

I am powering it with a 75Ah leisure battery from a caravan. The reason for such a large battery is I also power several led flood lights. Due to the weight I move the boominator on a trolley.

Instagram

Instagram

Instagram

Instagram

I have checked the wiki and can't find details on the currently recommend amps and filters. I am an engineer by trade, I understand simple electronics but the audio specific and detailed area lose me.

I am currently working on a neater an tougher build using the 407n tweeters and 18mm ply. The reason for the extra thickness is for added strength, the boominator has already been crashed into at a local bmx track. Will this have a detrimental effect other than weight?

There's no need to make it from 18mm plywood. Just make it from filmed birch plywood as originally suggested. It's a professional material designed for heavy abuse (it's used for truck bed lining and concrete pouring for example). The whole structure also becomes a lot more resilient once everything is glued together as intended. If you're still worried then use corners and fittings as you know them from professional speakers.

Last edited: