The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Turns out the Tek7 is not the same as Trans7. (The guy in the shop told me they where identical).

Have just read on their english site that Tek7 has a stronger bond than Trans7.

I say Trans 7 is plenty good, i used it a few years ago fixing a handle on a homemade knife/chisel and its still holding strong. I use them at work as a carpenter here in the Norwegian mountains all the time.

Its a little bit softer than Tec 7 when set but not much. Both are exceptional we use it all the time at work, and i use it on my boominators to.

Regarding the fixing of the drivers on the mini v2 i recommend using short screws to hold it in place and go around filling the gap and srewholes on the back with Trans7 afterwards.

I am just about to finish my Mini v2 build and dam this v2 is small and tricky
build. I will post some pics from the building process once i finish it off ;)

Goo

Last edited:
Fitted top and screwdown test.

Bass could do with a little boost, I think I may need to check air escaping around the woofer as it may not be completely sealed.

Overall it still has that same awesome crystal clear sound as the full Boominator.

I would say overall if you did a blind test with halfinator/boominator I think it is only the 'feeling' of symentry that would win the Boominator. Other than that, 10 out of 10 for a halfinator.

Wiring is done as stereo 1 woofer/piezo for each channel out.

I also need to trim the top, sand and varnish the lot, then fit the electrics.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Parts

Hi!

I'm trying to build a boominator myself but i can't manage to find all the parts i need!

I've got the plywood and speakers + speaker covers and batteries fixed from swedish retailers. Ordering it from Hifi ? Högtalare ? Verkstad - Hifi Kit Electronic - HIFI KIT since they have the same price as ljudia.se but they also got speaker grills!

However, i can't manage to find places that sells:
MGR CH-100 piezo tweeters.
Amp6 kit, is it easy to assemble it yourself with the basic kit from 41Hz.com ?
Solar panels, only find big ones.
Qbox 1.1, not even sure what this is :confused:
The switch mode recharger for the solar panels.

Anyone got an updated list of where i can buy this, anywhere from within the EU is prefered since tax rules in sweden add on 25-30% on everything that comes from ex US.. :mad:
Appreciate all help i can get :)

I would say overall if you did a blind test with halfinator/boominator I think it is only the 'feeling' of symentry that would win the Boominator. Other than that, 10 out of 10 for a halfinator.

Nice job stevodude! Interesting observation regarding the halfinator, many next project will be one or two for some friends that travel and play live music..hmmm

12v Amplifier choices in US...

Hello,

A while back Saturnus mentioned this amp for purchase stateside. Question ~ What improvement might I see with going to a different amp? It is understood by all that the Lepai is of poor and varying quality... but it has been working so well for my 3-4 ohm projects on SLA batteries. (but I always want more!) And what are people currently using in the states? I am doing projects with kids, so I love the simplicity of the Lepai. And frankly, having the tone control to boost bass at lower volumes is really great!

This is decent alternative to the amp6 T-Amp Tripath TA2021 2x20 Class-T Audio Amplifier Board 320-602

Many thanks!

Tor

Hello,

A while back Saturnus mentioned this amp for purchase stateside. Question ~ What improvement might I see with going to a different amp? It is understood by all that the Lepai is of poor and varying quality... but it has been working so well for my 3-4 ohm projects on SLA batteries. (but I always want more!) And what are people currently using in the states? I am doing projects with kids, so I love the simplicity of the Lepai. And frankly, having the tone control to boost bass at lower volumes is really great!

This is decent alternative to the amp6 T-Amp Tripath TA2021 2x20 Class-T Audio Amplifier Board 320-602

Many thanks!

Tor

I recently used a ta2020 board from china and its pretty good, dead quiet good sound and cheap! 12 $ free shipping from china! search for : DC 9V~15V TA2020-020 T Class Digital Amplifier board 13W+13W/20W+ 20W its maybe not what you are looking for but its a nice little board with small red Wima input caps.

Goo

Last edited:
Boominator mini v2

Yeahae Yippi i just assembled a mini v2 for my brother, and of course Saturnus birthday. Wooow nice sounding and ******* loud!

I put it together with 9mm shitty pine ply i had lying around (not recommended) and adjusted the dimensions to ceep the speaker compartment and overall measurements as close as possible to the original design. Seems to work all well though :)

The Sure 4.0 bluetooth module gives a lot of extra gain, but also a noticeable noise floor (its dead quiet with cable). I did not lower the gain on the maxamp which maybe preferable when used with the Sure 4.0 bluetooth module. But since i also fitted a 3.5mm input for use with mobile headphone jack i needed the gain on the maxamp set on hi. Next time i will install a switch to lower the maxamp gain when bluetooth is connected.

However its a truly remarkable little machine and the noise floor from bluetooth is not noticeable outside when in use. I finished late last night and did some flickering on the leftover Tec 7 in the sun today before final clear painting. We had a beautyful sunny day and it was playing for more or less 6 hours. The voltmeter went from 13.1v this morning to 13.2 v when i got home, Perfect!

The electronics was a challenge, its not much space but i pulled it together:) I used an adjustable DC/DC step down converter set to 14,6v as solar and charge regulator. Lifepo4 and a small PCM module. I used two 3watt 9v 333 mah solar panels. They only work well in direct sun but thats ok they fit and work great:)

So thanks Saturnus i am getting addicted to these builds! The mini is amazing but a little tricky and time-consuming to assemble, so yes maybe not for anyones first build;) I am very happy to successfully pulled this build together!!!

More pics and comments from the building process here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/108864066@N07/

Attachments

• Boominator mini v2.jpg
    Boominator mini v2.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 373
  • Boominator mini v2 electronics.jpg
    Boominator mini v2 electronics.jpg
    655.1 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:
Woah, nice! That's an amazing little electronics compartment :D!

Are you able to post a picture with the mini in front of a normal Boominator?

--

Took my nearly finished Boominator to a large open field yesterday. Wow.. Just wow.. I'm truly amazed by the sound quality and sound levels now. It really shines in a open field, sound quality also just is so much better than indoors.
Also, if you just finished your Boominator and turn the volume up for the first time and think.. Hm, pretty loud but I expected more, take it to an open field, take a walk (say 100m) and have a mate turn the music on. You'll be amazed. It still has a nice kick even at longer ranges, and even decent bass when a bit closer to the Boominator. Enough to not feel the need for a separate subwoofer.

Good work Saturnus :).

For example:
The guy carrying the Boominator here was 80 meters away:
IMG_6926Medium_zps295c8e1e.jpg

But at full volume it felt like I was standing next the Boominator

IMG_6953Medium_zpsd9e66e64.jpg

Last edited:
Did you make the battery compartment smaller on purpose just to make it a little less wide ?

On the mini v2 no, i just needed to fit the cables on the side of the batteries and ceep the speaker compartment the right internal size. 9mm ply and all, i think i have 32 mm for the batteries and 2,7 for the electronics above. Overall outside measurements is still 15x15x45.

Great job guys.

Yeah. The Boominator really shines in an open field, a beach or a park. That's what it is ultimately designed for.

Love the haphazardly built MINI. It looks really cool. And the sound is certainly not MINI by any means.

Love pics and vids of people enjoying themselves outside. That's my reward. So keep them coming either here or on facebook.

Last edited: