The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

WesleyK, Hi
What parts are you using in that pic you posted for your signature Boominator.
Take it as red you using Maxamps but whats the rest?
Looks proper smart by the way.
Cheers.

- A 5S2P battery pack, 18.5V 6400mAh with BMS and integrated balancer, charger and buck boost converter, high efficiency.
- 100W small form factor 24V power supply, again high efficiency
- MiniDSP
- 2* MaxAmp
- Raspberry Pi Model A modded for lower power consumption and a HiFiBerry dac
- 2 internal USB ports for a WiFi dongle + internal usb stick for storage
- 2 external USB ports for external storage and charging devices
- Piezo switch with RGB leds to turn the whole system on and off, RGB leds to indicate the different statuses.
- 3.5mm jack input
- IEC inlet

That's about it :D

---

4da6b5f8-4bcf-4810-871c-fac98f1a5a26_zps67ba95e0.jpg

Getting there :)

---

@Stevo, if you really can't find anyone that stocks them, shoot me a message, maybe we can work something out.

Last edited:
Yeah. That's pretty far from what you should get. About 116-117db peak with a 12V amp and 121-122dB peak with a 24V amp is what you should get.

The crossover is correct. What sort of distortion are you getting? Are you sure you have connected everything with correct polarity. Some people have connected one woofer with reverse polarity because they thought the woofers worked in tandem where they actually work against each other.

Last edited:
You can adjust the series resistor on the tweeter (it will also affect the woofer slightly due to impedance dependency of passive filters). Some prefer a higher value of 6-8 ohm, and some the lower of 4-6ohm. It's a taste issue. However, it should not affect the woofer performance to a point where there would be distortion. Maybe a wire is loose and touching the cone somehow?

No It's not the Maxamp that's a great piece of kit!
It was never super loud with the old Ta2020 and I used to use a Fiio to boost the input signal.
If anything the Maxamp is an improvement.
It just doesn't seem that great after the tweeter upgrade, I was expecting a big improvement.
It sounds almost as if the woofers are playing too high.
I'll try a few different input sources and report back.

That would be weird considering they are now (gently) filtered above 2100hz whereas with the piezos they played happily up to about 3800hz.

Or you mean too high in volume compared to the tweeters?

Also I have to correct myself from earlier.

You can adjust the series resistor on the tweeter (it will also affect the woofer slightly due to impedance dependency of passive filters). Some prefer a higher value of 6-8 ohm, and some the lower of 4-6ohm. It's a taste issue.

That is incorrect.

It's making the resistor between 2 ohm and 4 ohm, not between 4 ohm and 8 ohm you can adjust the level to match the woofers and taste. Sorry about the confusion. (The 4-8 ohm is with a halfinator using pht407n tweeters).

Last edited:
Is it possible it's related to not using twisted pair cables? It shouldn't have an effect but it might as the cable runs are nearing the 1 meter mark.

Let's put that on a back burner though until everything else is checked as it's a fairly unlikely possibility.

Yep to pass the EMC requirements they state to used twisted cables with a max length of ~1M. If using longer cables, a LC filter is required instead.
But, judging on the average cable management skills(which is non existent in most cases) of my customers, I don't think it causes any problems in this case.

No It's not the Maxamp that's a great piece of kit!
It was never super loud with the old Ta2020 and I used to use a Fiio to boost the input signal.
If anything the Maxamp is an improvement.
It just doesn't seem that great after the tweeter upgrade, I was expecting a big improvement.
I'll try a few different input sources and report back.

Thats great to hear, but won't solve your problem of course.

With the Fiio, you should "unmod" the MaxAmp for the best quality. Standard the MaxAmp will be deliverd with a increased gain, great for use with a iPod or iPhone. But since you're using a Fiio, you won't need the extra gain. "unmodding" is easy. Find the 2 pairs gold colored solder pads/jumpers, between the input and the amplifier chip, and apply solder to them, until they are shorted.

Last edited:
Ok, so I've been trying a few things out.
iPod touch 85-90db no real distortion but doesn't sound that loud.
Macbook 90-95db before distortion about 80% volume
iPhone 4s not sure of db but sounds like it falls in-between the two. again about 80% volume before distortion.
I have to add though, my spl meter may not be that accurate, it's a JL audio app.
I'm not using the Fiio and was hoping to ditch it.
I saw those jumpers Wesley but I don't plan on using them.
I think I just need to get on with the full DSP and 2X Maxamp setup I'd imagine that would get me the quality and adjustably I'd like??!!

What's the story with using 'twisted cables' you lost me there.

Here's a pic of the Amp wiring, it's a mess as I was just trying out the new Amp.
It needs to be tidied up and mounted yet.