The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Hi Everyone!
I am about to order one of these to kit but i have a couple questions :)
Boominator 410 - Ljudia - Multimedia Hemelektronik Karaoke PA anläggning DJ utrustning Ljus utrustning
OR
Boominator 412 - Ljudia - Multimedia Hemelektronik Karaoke PA anläggning DJ utrustning Ljus utrustning

1. I cant find any spec on the amplifier in the kit(Sinustec ST-A 100.2) Does anyone here have any experience with it?
2. I found allot of amplifier boards class D on ebay etc.., one of the is 2x100W @ 4 Ohm TK2050 Class-D Audio Amplifier Board. Is this to recomend or should I rather use the amp6?
3. Can I find the exakt measurement for every part in the saturnus boominator build? I looked at the sketcup design in viewer but I couldn't find the seize of every part.
4. The 12" model has a higher sensitivity, but will it use more battery than the 10"?

With regards
Daniel

Please note that the Ljudia Boominator packs are not real Boominator packs, and although many of the parts are the recommended ones for a real build. Some are not. If buying the pack means you can get the things you actually need cheaper then do it. Otherwise I recommend not buying it.

The 412 pack is not a Boominator. I strongly discourage buying that.

1. Trash amp. You need to throw it away and buy one of the recommend amps.
2. Home - Maxamp 12V Versterker right now looks like the best amp to use. Amp6 is 2nd best option. Any other TA2020 or TA2021 based amp except the Lepai TA2020 after. You can also use a TPA3116 based amp but only for 12V, don't try to use it 2x12V batteries in series.
3. Use the tape measure tool in sketchup. My drawing is 100% accurate.
4. The 12" model is garbage. Do not build it.

Last edited:
Maybe I should explain why I still recommend TA2020/TA2021 amps, or the maxim based amp in maxAMP over the TPA3116. The reason is simple. The latter mentioned chip has internal feedback loop. That means you cannot use the feedback loop for higher order filters and/or equalization. If you do not care about this then by all means you can use a TPA3116/TPA3118 based amp. It's a fantastic chip but you cannot use it with 2x12V batteries in series as it will trigger the internal overvoltage protection.

Please note that the Ljudia Boominator packs are not real Boominator packs, and although many of the parts are the recommended ones for a real build. Some are not.

If buying the pack means you can get the things you actually need cheaper then do it. Otherwise I recommend not buying it.

The 412 pack is not a Boominator. I strongly discourage buying that.

1. Trash amp. You need to throw it away and buy one of the recommend amps.
2. Home - Maxamp 12V Versterker right now looks like the best amp to use. Amp6 is 2nd best option.
3. Use the tape measure tool in sketchup. My drawing is 100% accurate.
4. The 12" model is garbage. Do not build it.

Thank you Saturnus for the quick response :)
I have the last three days done nothing more than to read about this magical portable stereo :) The 10" kit is actually cheaper than bying the parts individually.

1. As we speak they changed the amplifier in the kit to this:

SoundMagus PK350.4 - Ljudia - Multimedia Hemelektronik Karaoke PA anläggning DJ utrustning Ljus utrustning

Still crappy and needs to throw away?

3. Can I find the tape measure tool in sketchup viewer?

Thanks again, I appreciate your answers :)

//Daniel

The new amp is at least class D. However, it's a car audio amp so I doubt it'll have anywhere near the same efficiency as the recommended ones. It'll probably use something like 6-8 times more power than the small class D amps that are recommended. It's also physically so big that there's no way it will fit inside. On the other hand it has a higher power output. The recommended maximum power for the Boominator is 60Wrms per speaker pair. The built-in XO unfortunately does not make it useful for active tweeters (in the form of p.audio PHT407N) but you can bi-amp and use passive XO. Or use the 2 otherwise unused channels for a sub (in the form of a Cubo15).

The tape measure tool is always present on the tool line. It looks like a tape measure. If you still can't find it, use the help in sketchup.

Okey, sounds like the maxamp is the best alternative after all. But they doesnt seem to deliever to sweden and I cant find it anywhere else. Any suggestions?

Thanks Brummiejon! I will take a look at it when I come home from work. :)

I read somewhere that someone measured the boominator with amp6 to 7-800 mAh. Is this correct? I am thinking about how many hours i would be able to play with a 12 aH battery and maybe a solar panel (10w).

Thanks in advance
Daniel

It's 360mA (at max volume before clipping). A 12Ah battery with a 10W solar panel should last an entire summer (about 5-6 months) without recharge with normal usage (8h off, 8h low volume, and 8h max volume per day + 1 smartphone recharge per day) and making sure the Boominator is in the Sun most of the daylight hours.

Email maxamp. I'm sure they'll find a way to sell it and send it to you :)

Last edited:
Boominator Newbie onboard

Good Morning Everyone.

I'm a full time IT guy, and self proclaimed at home DJ, and tech junkie. That said, when i ran across the golden unicorn called the Boominator, I knew that this was a project that I would have to take on.

I think Im going to start off light by trying out the qubinator build, and I'm sure I will have 'A LOT' of question.

please be gentle....

Thanks All,

DJ1

Last edited:
Speakers came in last week, tweeters should arrive somewhere this week:
null_zpsaa3a3dbb.jpg

Design is also coming along nicely, almost finished :)
tweakerspreview_zps72693742.jpg

If possible. Stick to having the tweeters in the middle of the baffle as in the original drawing. It's calculated and measured to be the optimum position from a frequency response, diffraction and sound quality perspective. By putting the tweeter in the corner you will see a wobble in frequency response caused by an accented diffraction which in turn will have a (slight) negative impact on sound quality. For a piezo this is less critical as it kicks in at around 4KHz but due to the very high sound quality with the pht407n and that it produces sound from 2KHz and up it would be a shame not to get the most out of it.

Last edited:
Hi Saturnus,

Thanks for your feedback. I wasnt sure if it would matter seeing the mixed setups the people here have. It makes sense now you have explained it though. I will adjust my designs as I'm going for maximum sound quality. As you mention yourself it would be a shame not to put the tweeters to their full potential.

By the way, I've read that the boominator is meant to be used on a flat surface. What about some rubber feets? The ones in my design are 20mm high, would that affect the sound quality?

Last edited:
No. Not adversely anyways. You have to lift it about 20cm above ground before you can hear an effect of it not coupling to ground. Try it yourself when you're finished. It's a very fine line about 20cm off ground where the sound suddenly change character.

Last edited:
The electronic compartment in the middle can be made both narrower and wider without issues (provided that the speaker compartments stay exactly the same naturally). Although I do recommend a minimum width of 26mm and a maximum of 216mm.

Note however that the increased length makes it a lot harder to carry alone. Any reason you can't stack 2 standard 7Ah batteries on top of eachother as intended?

Last edited:
Because, when I looked at the sketchup drawing yesterday the height was 287 mm and one 7.2 Ah battery is 151. So they won`t fit if I stack they on top of each-other?
I have looked at three different batteries and everyone of them has this dimension:
151 x 65 x 99mm

Or am I missing something here? :)

151 is the width. Not the height.

99+99=198mm height. Easily fits ;)

Because, when I looked at the sketchup drawing yesterday the height was 287 mm and one 7.2 Ah battery is 151. So they won`t fit if I stack they on top of each-other?
I have looked at three different batteries and everyone of them has this dimension:
151 x 65 x 99mm

Or am I missing something here? :)

I fit 4 7.2A SLA in mine+ dsp and amp9
Stacked someting like this:

Attachments

• Batt.png
    Batt.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 572