The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Some pictures of my first work

Could you tell me if i have to do more work on the tweeters?
Manu

Attachments

• tweet.jpg
    tweet.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 493
  • amp6.jpg
    amp6.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 480
  • amp6_bot.jpg
    amp6_bot.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 465
Okay, i wanted to read it before doing a mistake ;)

For the caps, yes i know :p , i am waiting for the wima's ones and i got some problems with C2, it fell down and i walked on it :eek: ... Don't work too late :D
My first DIY amp, i did not realized there were some CMS component, but okay by now, i found the good technic for this kind of component.

Thank you for remarks.

Manu

I'm at roughly the same stage as you nusma. Build pics coming soon.

Yesterday I was testing out my hardware with the amp6. All the speakers are working fine but im having trouble with the amp. The left channel only produces a very tiny volume. The right channel is loud and clear. After reading some posts on 41Hz, I have come to the conclusion that the tripath chip is fine and the other electrical components are very hard to damage. So there is simply a bad solder somewhere. I bought the amp pre assembled so I cant even blame in on my soldering skills.... I cant see any bad connections so my next move is to reheat all of the connections... Anyone have any better ideas?

I also tried to buy this...
Wholesale Product Snapshot Product name is NEW!!! FREE SHIPPING -10W CIS solar panel, 10watt 12v amorphous solar module, 10w 12v pv panels, thin film @
After 27 days and several unanswered messages they sent my money back.... Still dont even know if they bothered to post it. Has anyone received one of these from this site? Any other suggestions for solar panels?

Attachments

• 20131011_155749.jpg
    20131011_155749.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 437
  • 20131011_155807.jpg
    20131011_155807.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 358
  • 20131011_164257.jpg
    20131011_164257.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 124
  • 20131011_164430.jpg
    20131011_164430.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 20131011_164442.jpg
    20131011_164442.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 99
I'm not understanding how you can get output for it at all when the jumpers are not inserted correctly. Both jumpers should be in, and orientated the same way as the pin header, ie. turned 90 degrees from what it is in your pictures.

If there's still problems I'd advise going over the inductor solders as a few of them look a little suspect. Not bad but not perfect either.

I have finally finished my halfinator. Had a camping trip planned and that's what ended up getting me in build mode. Finished it a day before we left and was very happy with the result. I didn't take any more pictures of the build, but did snap a couple of the camp spot. Everything worked perfectly, so thanks for the help everyone!

The box got decently loud... at full volume there was slight distortion, but this was way too loud for what I will generally use it for. But the sound quality was amazing. It played in the background through the nights and gave really good music without impeding on conversation. I wandered off into the desert a few times and the sound carried incredibly! Some old school Pink Floyd while looking at the stars was just what I was looking for.

I put two lighter sockets in so that I can charge the battery and a device at the same time. I bought a separate solar panel because I will also be using this in the garage and don't need it most of the time, plus the solar panel can then be used to charge a car battery or something as well if I need it to. I also have a wall charger for when I'm next to 120v outlets. Both are safe for the LiFeP04 battery that I used.

The size is great for my use. I understand that the Boominator gets much louder and will have better quality sound from each side of the box sharing channels, but this experiment tuned out well!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I receive the last parts for my amp6 and the resistors for the tweeters. But i have been reading more (and more) of this thread, and i have doubt for the ones i choose. Are these resistors okay for the tweeters:
RESIS.METAL 3 W PR03 47 OHMS - Elecdif.com
Thes are metal film resistors, not carbon composition... Does it matter?

Thanks for your advices,
I will finish thje amp tonight and hope to make a first try!

Manu

Hi!

I've been working on a boominator of my own and it's almost finished. Just gotta paint it etc.

Because i wanted to save some money i first went for the Lepai amp (Black LP-2020A+ Lepai Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Car Amplifier & Power Supply | eBay) but i found that it distorted well before it reaches the max volume, the bass in particular. I have also tried with one of these: Class T Amp 25Wx2 Amplifier Tripath TA2021 SMSL S | eBay and one of these:

Assembled TA2020Class T Power amplifier board 25W+25W | eBay

I have the same distortion problem on these two amps.

Does the problem occur because of cheap amps and can it be fixed by purchasing the amp-6?

or

Could there be something wrong with my speakers?

or

Is the power simply insufficient?

Hi!

I've been working on a boominator of my own and it's almost finished. Just gotta paint it etc.

Because i wanted to save some money i first went for the Lepai amp (Black LP-2020A+ Lepai Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Car Amplifier & Power Supply | eBay) but i found that it distorted well before it reaches the max volume, the bass in particular. I have also tried with one of these: Class T Amp 25Wx2 Amplifier Tripath TA2021 SMSL S | eBay and one of these:

Assembled TA2020Class T Power amplifier board 25W+25W | eBay

I have the same distortion problem on these two amps.

Does the problem occur because of cheap amps and can it be fixed by purchasing the amp-6?

or

Could there be something wrong with my speakers?

or

Is the power simply insufficient?

Most likely cause is that the power supply is insufficient. The amp draws slightly above 5A peak at maximum volume so you need to make sure the battery or power supply can supply that.

And if it's a battery, make sure it's in proper working condition, ie. haven't been man-handled by repeated very deep cycles without immediate recharging by a dedicated charger for recharging deep cycle batteries.

Also the cables must be thick enough and the connectors of sufficient quality to handle the current. If length from power source is less than 1m/3' then 1.5mm2/16awg is ok longer than 1m/3' then they should be 2.5mm2/14awg.

Having checked all those boxes and it still distorts on bass heavy music then you can look into changing input capacitors on the amp so that the amp simply doesn't waste power trying to play deeper bass than the Boominator can play.

And lastly, also realize that in a perfect world you want your amp to start clipping/distorting at roughly 90% of max level from the source because it means you are using all the available power the amp can give with a little headroom for tracks that are recorded at a lower level. Simply don't turn up the volume higher than to where it starts distorting (it's quite loud already) although I know that can be difficult because the sound quality is so good that it is deceiving you to want more and more :D

Some people also take the final plunge and use a 24V amp instead to get that 5-6dB extra even if that means it'll use 4-5x more power in the process.

Last edited:
Boominator mini with el guitar input?

First thanks everybody on this forum, and especially Saturnus for the boominator design.

I am making a boominator mini for my son using 4x 6.5 inch 8 ohm woofers from a couple of Fence Audio duo 30 floor standers and 4 x 2.25 inch 8 ohm Square dome tweeters.

I have a couple of questions.

1 Can i use the crossover from my floor standers see pics (they had 1x4 ohm tweeter and 2x8 ohm woofers each)?

2 Can i mount a 1/4 inch female input in paralell with the 1/8 inch input and feed the amp with the signal from both inputs without a switch. (my son like to play along the music with his el guitar)

3 I used materials i had at hand so baffles are 15mm but internal dims are same 182mm wide and high, mid wall are 22mm thick to fitt my woofers. Do i compromise the design to much with my speakers and changes?

I am planning to drive it with a modded indeed t- amp see pics, or a new TPA3116D board from china(in the mail).

Again thanks. here is some pics

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/7ol3a05k88zf5pn/5txjHiKHi_

Last edited: