The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Nice, could you make a video of their performance? (Yes I know a video isn't always that representative but still... :))

In a few days, we'll be assembling the electronics bits and pieces and closing up the boxes. We plan to have removable bottom panels, so hopefully that won't affect the sound.

I had one of the Qubinators playing outside all day today. The bottom panel was temporarily attached, but the side dish window was fully open, so of course, the sound was not optimal.

Having said that, I was very impressed with how loud thing was playing. There was no way I could play at full volume on my iPhone (don't want to disrupt the neighbourhood). For a small cube, it really is amazing. What stood out most was the amount of bass. Hats off to Saturnus. I can only imagine what the bigger brothers can do (i.e. Boominator MINI, Boominator, etc.).

No problem. As soon as we 'button them up', I'll film some footage of the Qubinators and try to demonstrate how loud and great they sound.

Cheers,
Pete

I will also have a Qubinator ready in a couple of days, it would be fun to compare the sound quality (even though through video). How much wool have you stuffed in?

Good question. Haven't stuffed them yet. Was also wondering how much to use. According to what's suggested on the Sketchup page, 'Stuff cabinet tightly with dampening wool'.

I have some leftover polyester insulation batts, so I think I will use that for stuffing. How about you?

Good question. Haven't stuffed them yet. Was also wondering how much to use. According to what's suggested on the Sketchup page, 'Stuff cabinet tightly with dampening wool'.

I have some leftover polyester insulation batts, so I think I will use that for stuffing. How about you?

I also found some cheap wool leftover in the basement that in going to use. Im think I will throw so I feel that it is to much and test it. If it sounds to 'damped' if will just pick out some. Im thinking of sealing the box completly so I have tp get it right. It would suck to feel 'damn, I would like to stick in some more'. Please let me now how much you use, maybe a picture before closing it. :)

I also found some cheap wool leftover in the basement that in going to use. Im think I will throw so I feel that it is to much and test it. If it sounds to 'damped' if will just pick out some. Im thinking of sealing the box completly so I have tp get it right. It would suck to feel 'damn, I would like to stick in some more'. Please let me now how much you use, maybe a picture before closing it. :)

I'll definitely take photos. BTW, what are you using for the battery? We were originally going to use CCTV battery packs, but ended up getting some 12V 2AH SLA batteries. They fit nicely.

On the dish, we've got a socket for connecting the solar panel (which then internally connects to the solar charge controller). We also have a 12V cigarette socket which doubles up as an input socket for charging the battery (i.e. a standard SLA charger can be plugged in, to keep the battery topped up using mains power), as well as an output socket for charging your phone, MP3 player, etc.

Hi

This is an amazing thread. Congratulations to Saturnus.

I have had a bit of a read through, and a good look at the wiki.

I have two questions:

I am leaning towards using the PHT-407N tweeters with the HP-10W woofers, but I cannot find a passive crossover schematic for this combination. I gather that no crossover is required if using the Motorola KSN1001A???

Is there any advantage or dissadvantage to separating the speakers? eg left bipole cabinet, amp unit cabinet, plus right bipole cabinet, (whilst retaining all the cabinet dimensions)?

Last edited:
I'll definitely take photos. BTW, what are you using for the battery? We were originally going to use CCTV battery packs, but ended up getting some 12V 2AH SLA batteries. They fit nicely.

On the dish, we've got a socket for connecting the solar panel (which then internally connects to the solar charge controller). We also have a 12V cigarette socket which doubles up as an input socket for charging the battery (i.e. a standard SLA charger can be plugged in, to keep the battery topped up using mains power), as well as an output socket for charging your phone, MP3 player, etc.

Nice with some photos!

I will use the CCTTV 9800mah (real capacity is around 4800mah so that will give 24h playtime on a maxed volume). I attach it at the recessed dish from Adam Hall through a DC connection. I love to have it outside the box so you easy can change it and have multiple batterys. Have ypu recalculated the inner volyme to fit the battery or have you chosen to see away from the changed inner volume?

I was also thinking of installing a output to charge the phone/MP3 from but I think I will skip it this time.

How are you going to fix the outer finish? I want a clossy black finish but dot know the best way to get this, any tips?

Boominator busking tool

Hi

I have just returned from a festival that I organise for my birthday..... "Pridstock" www.pridstock.com

Some fantastic nights with da Boominator....

Me and a friend used it for busking on saturday afternoon. I hooked it up to a Behringer Xenyx 1002b Behringer: XENYX 1002B
and we played Saxophone and an Akai EWI EWI4000s
and me on my my trusty Musicman Stingray bass guitar......

sounded great, went down a treat....

I let some beatboxers loose on it, they loved it......

Now da Boominator becomes a buskers tool, fantastic...

*BJ*

Attachments

• busking boominator.jpg
    busking boominator.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 386
My next question is:

If I cannot get the HP-10W woofers, and decide to go for the Eminence basslite S2010, do I need to change the filter, or cabinet volume, or port dimensions?

Yes the filter is different, I think this is the right one for that (top speakers are woofers, the ones below are the PHT's)

Cabinet size and porting exactly the same but there may be some fiddling to get the woofer magnets to touch and glue together (just pack out any gaps with ply or hardboard and glue as usual with chemical metal)

*BJ*

Attachments

• boominator filter.jpg
    boominator filter.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 375