The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

The only eq i have in hand is the one from my Iphone. (i know it is lousy). That actually seems to "solve" the problem. What i am a bit worried/confused about is that i don't recall that i have encountered this problem before. I remember that the box could easilly play so loud that i could not hear what people would say 1meter away from me, thats certainly not the case now. I would think that the hp10w would easily manage whatever comming out from a ta2020 amp?

I really need to read through this thread again, but if anyone feels like helping, I have a couple of questions.

After looking at how I'm going to use this, it will be much better for me to build a Halfinator. (so I already have a couple of extra ten inchers!)

1) With the GW-1058's, from what I recall tell they are slightly shorter than the HP10W's. Is there any reason I couldn't change the dimensions so that I don't have to stack extra material between the speaker and the brace? Like make it a little narrower but a little wider or taller and keep the same internal volume?

2) The speakers are still wired in stereo on halfinator, right? Or will I need to convert (sorry for layman's terms) the sound to mono?

On another note I finished the Amp6 Basic last night, so we'll see how well I did after I get a chance to test it!

From what I've read here, it makes no sence to go mono in a halfinator (I am planning on making one too), since it will give you approximately the same power in mono as in stereo. Besides, the TA2020 is more efficient at 8 ohm than at 4 ohm, so there is no reason to go mono. ;-) I guess it doesn't bother that much when a song plays a tune only on one side for a few seconds... :)

The magnet to magnet configuration would make the set-up a little more efficient. (1 or 2 SPL 1w/1m in the Boominator?) Btw, in the original Boominator the magnets were directly glued to eachother, but since that was more complex to build it has changed to simply gluing the woofers magnet to magnet with the wood between them, so you only need 1 wooden plate in the middle without the 2 extra plates for strength.

Hi! I have Indeed, Arjen helder and Sure amps. 12v 12ah motorcycle battery and two different speakers. Can someone tell why bass distorts so much? It doesn't matter how loud i play it distorts still about under 100 hz. When put mp3 player eq few steps down at about 80hz it stops but all mp3 players don't have eq and i think those amps should play flat eq? Is it that i need more volts than 12v or what is it. Do i have to buy amp6 amplifier to get good sound ?

Saturnus (or other knowledgeable builder)

I am looking over the plans you have for the Halfinator on Sketchup and have a couple of questions.

1) It appears that you have four piezo sized holes. Are two of these supposed to reflect bass reflex holes? Is it advisable to use two in the size that you drew up, or can I do one larger hole in the size/location of the original boominator?

2) You say it was designed with the electronics compartment on the top and woofer on the bottom. Is there any reason I couldn't set it sideways as in this drawing?:
Half boominator by rubennn - 3D Warehouse

I feel it has two advantages. There is more room for solar panels plus a place to set a music player on the longer "top", as well as using the side hole as a handle similar to the original boominator. Hope this makes sense!

Gotta love the Boominator!!

Just got back from the Body&Soul festival here in Ireland where we ran our own music venue.
We had the Boominator cranked for the setup and breakdown and everyone that saw it (DJs, sound engineers, production managers....) was blown away.
You could hear the Feckin thing pretty much across the whole festival site...amazing!
Thanks again Saturnus!!

Toolinator

Hi all,

Eager to start building the Boominator Mini. Will start in about 2 weeks time.

In the meantime, I put together a toolbox-based audio system (code named the Toolinator) for a friend who loves camping. Actually, about 6 months ago our families went on a camping trip, and prior to that he asked me if I had any ideas on how to get days worth of music out in the wilderness using solar power, etc. Of course, thanks to al the info in this thread (and Saturnus' posts in general), I had a good idea on what could be done. Ended up taking the Lepai amp, a 12V SLA battery, a new 20W solar panel, and a whole bunch of hookup wires and jumper cables. All thrown into a box, but it did the job well, and everyone was impressed on the quality and efficiency of such a set up.

Anyway, since then, I've been thinking about putting together a compact 'box' to contain all the components and make it easy for people to use (compared to a whole messy mish-mash of parts and wires in a box).

So, ended up buying a cheapo $3 little plastic toolbox. I just managed to squeeze all the components in there (SLA battery, Lepai amp, solar charger regulator, ground loop isolator), and ended up with just enough space to tuck the wires in.

On the front of the toolbox is the main on/off switch, as well as a momentary switch that lights up the digital voltmeter. On the back are the speaker terminals, cigarette lighter socket (for charging your phone, iPod, etc.), as well as a power input socket (where you either plug in the solar panel, or the laptop power supply). On the side there is a 3.5mm stereo input jack.

Although this is for a friend, I really wanted to use it a proof-of-concept to pave the way for my own Boominator build. Worked out great. Charges nicely via solar panel, and also via the laptop power supply. I think my friend will find the voltmeter quite useful (he wasn't a fan of using the DMM when I showed him a while back). Speaker terminals allow him to connect small speakers while at home/work, and then bigger speakers for parties/camping.

BTW, the ground loop isolator totally eliminated the pulsating noise that was being produced when my iPhone was connected to the 3.5mm stereo jack, and also charging at the same time via the cigarette lighter socket.

Anyway, photos are attached. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for sharing all the ideas. Hopefully soon there will be photos of a real Boominator...

Also, I've put the photos into an album...

Toolinator Photos by pkozul | Photobucket

Cheers,
Pete

P1060638_zpsf0e94e93.jpg

P1060632_zpse43f0cfa.jpg

P1060629_zps0996cee1.jpg

P1060631_zps6aa11e63.jpg

P1060637_zpseb83f44b.jpg

Lepai... BAD choice, BAD BAD choice!!!

the Lepai brand amplifier are the worst garbage that money can get!!

I totally agree. This was one of the earlier versions. To get half decent sound out of it, I bypassed the tone control circuit, replaced input caps, etc.

For my Boominator, it will be one of the better TA2020 offerings (just don't let my friend know he is getting the el cheapo Lepai)...

I tried that too and was greeted with a unbearable hiss, so i gave up and scrapped it and used it as a passive volume control for a while.

I'm gonna give the TA2020 a second chance though by trying out a SMSL SA-36A, i've heard only good about it, but if i dont like it either you will see me basing Tripath as a whole as well, just like im already bashing pre filter feedback selfosc(hysteresis and delta sigma) class d.