The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Hi guys

Me and my friends built a Boomniator 3 weeks ago, called the Boominator.

But we ran into some problems. Here, after 3 weeks, we noticed a change in sound of one of the P.Audio HP10Ws while playing at normal volume. We then investigated this problem further, and we concluded that one of our drivers was broken.

As we investigated the problem, it showed to be a manufacturing fault. So we contacted Intertechnik and their techs to get a refund.

All i all, we need a new HP10W - So wer're really hoping that one of you guys has a HP10W driver liying arround somewhere, that we could buy.

We're pretty desperate in getting one before Roskilde Festival which is in 20 days ..

Please contact us if you're willing to sell a HP10W, then we can sort out the price and ofcourse shipping cost. - Btw. we live in Denmark :)

Here a pictures of our 3/4 Boominator :-(

Oix4RMr.jpg

Bad carma.

Hi.
after reciving battery and charger i Connected charger and a shortsircut noise appeared among some smoke. I disconnected in a hurry. I found out that charger had wrong polarity from producer. I tested carger whitout BMS and it seems ok. Connected battery directly to AmP and worked ok.
If i Connect thru BMS i can messure 24V, but it will not take charg and AMP wont play. I open BMS and found burnt and one cracked diode.
Can i use battery whitout BMS just to play Music and not charge?

Attachments

• Bms.jpg
    Bms.jpg
    642.3 KB · Views: 338
Almost finished building the Qubinator! Only thing left to do is gluing the top part of the box to the rest of the cube, and then of course some painting :)
At first sound wasn't as loud as I had hoped for but I changed some settings in my phone and it now plays pretty loud! However it sounds a bit "tinny"... Think I got it fairly decent after some equalizer settings, but it's still a bit tinny. Anyone experienced the same thing?

hejbabi

Almost finished building the Qubinator! Only thing left to do is gluing the top part of the box to the rest of the cube, and then of course some painting :)
At first sound wasn't as loud as I had hoped for but I changed some settings in my phone and it now plays pretty loud! However it sounds a bit "tinny"... Think I got it fairly decent after some equalizer settings, but it's still a bit tinny. Anyone experienced the same thing?

hejbabi

Put the top on. That'll solve it ;)

Hi.
after reciving battery and charger i Connected charger and a shortsircut noise appeared among some smoke. I disconnected in a hurry. I found out that charger had wrong polarity from producer. I tested carger whitout BMS and it seems ok. Connected battery directly to AmP and worked ok.
If i Connect thru BMS i can messure 24V, but it will not take charg and AMP wont play. I open BMS and found burnt and one cracked diode.
Can i use battery whitout BMS just to play Music and not charge?

Well, it's not dangerous li-ion but lifepo4s, and I assume you have a claim to get them replaced as it's clearly a manufacturer fault, so I'd say go ahead and use them without BMS as long as you're careful while charging and check that the voltage don't get too low.

It's pretty hard to punish lifepo4s into being permanently damaged but overcharging and overdischarging is certainly something that'll do it.

Ok, I don't think there's gain in the dock to jack connector so I will have to buy the headphone amp. Since I got an iPod Classic, I'm going to buy the E1. When connected to a stereo system, the sound of an iPod through a dock connector does sound alot better than the headphone output + it doesn't require any batteries, simple and good! ;-)

Hello Everyone

A few months ago some friends and i bought the Amp9-basic kit (rev 1.2). We build it, and put it in a aluminum case (much like v-bro, but with a bit more space in the box - we're not as good i guess :D )

We used the amp on may 17th with our old Boominator. Everything worked totally great. Exactly two weeks later we wanted some music again. Same setup with the Boominator, batteries, cables and everything. This time there's NO sound coming from the amp9.

Amp has been stored inside and we did try different sources and amps. Everything works great - when the amp9 isn't involved.

When connected to power, the green LED (D2 - Awake) in on.

So... what do we do? :confused:

Building AMP6

Oh dear.... I feel right out of my depth..... Faced with lots of tiny things and I don't know what they are, how do I know what the polarities are, I can't even read the values......
I'm going to need some help.....
I don't think that 41hz did include the boominator mods... Here is the best photo I can manage of the input and feedback resistors, I don't know which is which?

BJ

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 333
Oh dear.... I feel right out of my depth..... Faced with lots of tiny things and I don't know what they are, how do I know what the polarities are, I can't even read the values......
I'm going to need some help.....
I don't think that 41hz did include the boominator mods... Here is the best photo I can manage of the input and feedback resistors, I don't know which is which?

BJ

Can't help you with that quality of picture.

google resistor color coding.

Well, it's not dangerous li-ion but lifepo4s, and I assume you have a claim to get them replaced as it's clearly a manufacturer fault, so I'd say go ahead and use them without BMS as long as you're careful while charging and check that the voltage don't get too low.

It's pretty hard to punish lifepo4s into being permanently damaged but overcharging and overdischarging is certainly something that'll do it.
Thank you for that. I have a claim for a New BMS, but it's not easy sins seller is worse in Einglish than me and didn't se the fault whit charger and claim that it was all good due to one of his engineers :( I think i have wrote 20 post's to seller;(
Cross my fingers.

Hi to all Boominatorians!! What a great design and very informative thread that is! Kudos to Saturnus for it!!! Was reading for a long time. Now its time to build.
So i started from Amp6Basic. It was my first ever diy pcb kit and it works!!!
now im a bit puzzled about the power management for lifepo4 cells and how to make it all work together with solar panel that i already got.
the plan is to use 4 of these Headway LifePo4 38120S 10AH
with pcm for 4S
1*LiFe 12.8V 4S Battery Protection Circuit Module PCM01 | eBay
Will i need anything else to make it work with my solar panel????
10W 12V solar panel (2m cable) for camper /caravan /boat 10 watt trickle charger | eBay
did anyone had any experiences with the diy lifepo4 battery packs? would be nice to know before i see the sparks flying from my project :)
Would appreciate any coments! Cheers!

Finished my boominator build this week and af course it's awesome;)
Altough I have one problem. When turning up the volume to max i get some distorsion. Quite sure that when I tested the box for the first time I could play max volume with no distorsion. I've changed the input caps to the recomended value and the solderings are good!