The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

aabo,
I have the amp6b, the Helder HiFi MKI Tripath TA2020 25w amp PCB with remote control + Bluetooth (not and the Helder HiFi TA2024-MKII-15W. All of these have gotten great reviews. But to my personal experience, the amp6b is noticeably louder. I am using my iPhone 4s playing mp3 compressed at 320 connected via dock connector to a FiiO E07K Andes DAC/Amp. All three have great sound (as good as you can get with the ksn piezos and the GW-1058). It definitely has to do with the components used with the TA2020 in the amp6b that gives it that extra loudness (components that affect gain maybe?). I'm sure someone else could elaborate better than what am writing.

I know Saturnus uses Wima caps on his amp6, and it's been noted on other (long and exhausting) threads that Wimas are much louder than even those "audiophile" capacitors costing 10-50x more without loosing detail. Keep in mind that this is for outdoor use, and one should not expect the wide sound stage, depth and air around each instrument playing in the music, that you would expect from indoor speakers that are also separated my several meters and can be "toed-in" to give you a sweet spot of sound.

So from personal experience, the amp 6b is the best choice for unmodded t-amps under $75USD.

Also, as Saturnus has mentioned before, if you end up ordering an amp6b, make sure you let 41hz know that you will be using this for a Boominator, and they will include the appropriate caps for you. Now you can't get that from any other vendor!

Since I'm here, has anyone had any distorsion problems with the amp6b when placed inside the center compartment. All this time that I had been testing the electronics, I always had the amp (which is inside the closed hammond cast aluminum case) outside of the center cab for easy access to the jack attached to the solar charge controller, which was inside the center compartment. Now that I am ready to close up the top, I placed the amp inside the center compartment and I now get distortion. To give you a better idea, I use the volume control on my Fiio E07K, and when the amp is outside of the center compartment, I can raise the volume all that way to 60 (max) and there is a little distortion. When the amp is inside the compartment, I can only raise the volume to 42 as the distortion is very bad that I don't want to turn it up any louder.
Can someone help? Thanks.

Saturnus seems to think so....
See posts 3329, 3330 and 3335, that's why I chose them, cheap and easy to get in the UK....

BJ

Yup. They'll work fine. It would probably be my own second choice. First choice being the newer CIS cells. It's nice to see that technology is catching up. 6 years ago when this thread was started CI(G)S cells was aerospace technology and so cutting edge it was still on restricted trade lists. Now you can actually buy them fairly cheap.

Since I'm here, has anyone had any distorsion problems with the amp6b when placed inside the center compartment. All this time that I had been testing the electronics, I always had the amp (which is inside the closed hammond cast aluminum case) outside of the center cab for easy access to the jack attached to the solar charge controller, which was inside the center compartment. Now that I am ready to close up the top, I placed the amp inside the center compartment and I now get distortion. To give you a better idea, I use the volume control on my Fiio E07K, and when the amp is outside of the center compartment, I can raise the volume all that way to 60 (max) and there is a little distortion. When the amp is inside the compartment, I can only raise the volume to 42 as the distortion is very bad that I don't want to turn it up any louder.
Can someone help? Thanks.

Probably a loose wire somewhere that gets worse by the added bending.

I'm planing on painting my boominator matte black ( "Mattsvart" in swedish ) and im woundering if this is gonna be a problem since the colour absorbes heat? If it's playing in the summer sun for a whole day, doesnt it get extremly hot in the electronical department since the batteries are there aswell??

If the heat will become a problem, how do i solve it? Havent started the build yet.

I naturally assume you have turned off the awful tone controls on the Lepai. Those should never be used. I also assume you have tried one side at a time to see if the problem is the same in both sides. I also assume you have already tried each HP10W separately to see if one of them might be faulty from the factory (it happens).

Tone control is off.

Each side has been tested one by one. They act the same. I tested the HP10W's one by one before assembly and all are working.

I cheched all the wiring again and I can't find any mistakes there, so i don't believe that's the problem.

Right now I'm blaming the Lepai. It starts distorting at ~55% volume. That's not good enough. Unfortunately I didn't receive my new amp yet, so I didn't test with another amp.

Tone control is off.

Each side has been tested one by one. They act the same. I tested the HP10W's one by one before assembly and all are working.

I cheched all the wiring again and I can't find any mistakes there, so i don't believe that's the problem.

Right now I'm blaming the Lepai. It starts distorting at ~55% volume. That's not good enough. Unfortunately I didn't receive my new amp yet, so I didn't test with another amp.

If you are using an Lepai amp, and you have problems, then I would start there.
I haven't tried the Lepai myself, but I have read so many threads on different forums, where people are complaining about them.

Hi! I have been a long time follower of this project and finally got the chance to try it out this year! Just got a couple questions that I hope someone can help me with.

I barley manage to get my hands on the last 2 Hp-10W woofers left on Hifikit (sorry Pumpitup) and since i just could get 2 I'm curious if I could build a vented Qubinator and ever so slightly modify it to fit 2 or 4 Piezos? I'm aware of the fact that the Qubinator was intended to be built with the HP-10T but I'm planning on building the real thing next year with the additional set of HP-10Ws.
I have no clue at all how to calculate a vented box, how long/wide it the vent should be e.t.c, If I did beset those skills I wouldn't freeload of any of you, Sorry.

Lastly I guess i hardly matters which of the QLM-1005 and MPT-001 i choose since they can't be compared to the one originally intended? (Post #3407)

Can somebody describe how the bass from a correct functioning Boominator should sound/feel like? Maybe name a song that help describe it.

I have bass from mine, but it's not giving the "oompf" that I think it should give, and it's not as defined as I would like.

"oompf oompf oompf uuumhf - oompf oompf oompf uuumhf"

Here's a song that describes how a boominator should sound.
Brooklyn Bounce - Bass, Beats & Melody - YouTube

There is a test you could do.
If you place a girl across your boominator and turn up the volume, she should start smiling, and be quite hard to get off again, at least until she's finished...

Can somebody describe how the bass from a correct functioning Boominator should sound/feel like? Maybe name a song that help describe it.

I have bass from mine, but it's not giving the "oompf" that I think it should give, and it's not as defined as I would like.

Mine sounds great and I haven't completely sealed the box, got batteries or an amp yet...... I have my boominator connected to my hifi amp (a 1950's Rogers 12w valve amp). It's been good to tweak my crossovers with an amp I know the sound of.....

"oompf oompf oompf uuumhf - oompf oompf oompf uuumhf"

Here's a song that describes how a boominator should sound.
Brooklyn Bounce - Bass, Beats & Melody - YouTube

There is a test you could do.
If you place a girl across your boominator and turn up the volume, she should start smiling, and be quite hard to get off again, at least until she's finished...

Hahaha totally forgot the existance of this song! Haven't heard it for years. Brings back some memories :D

But more seriously, the kick should be pretty low and felt pretty much right?

Mine sounds great and I haven't completely sealed the box, got batteries or an amp yet...... I have my boominator connected to my hifi amp (a 1950's Rogers 12w valve amp). It's been good to tweak my crossovers with an amp I know the sound of.....

I thought mine sounded good also when I was testing, before I put on the lid and sealed it. Just putting the lid loose on top changed the sound a lot and I thought to myself "wow this is gonna be good".

But now I'm left with an empty feeling.

I'd wait to draw any conclusions until you tried with another amp (try for example with the amp from your stereo).

Could perhaps also be a wire that got squished when closing the lid maybe?

Of course if you live in the Copenhagen area, one of the many Boominator builders here (or myself) could meet up in a park and pass verdict pretty much immediately on whether it's your build, or your ears, that's at fault :D

Last edited:
I am waiting to draw the final conclusion untill I get the new amp. I hope this will do the trick. Or maybe my expectations were just to high. We'll see.

The wiring is made so that that wouldn't happen.

Unfortunately I live in Jylland. Good idea though. I never heard other Boominators so would be nice to have something to compare with, and to hear others opinion.