The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Saturnus,
you recommended a 1/10" 470nF WIMA as the replacement input capacitor. You also said it would eliminate the pops when I turn on the system.

What exactly is the function of the input cap and what does it change?
Does it have to be WIMA brand? (only found in groups of 20)

Since I don't yet have the replacement cap or switches installed, I have just been using the jumpers.. Will all the power on pops damage the drivers? (I don't turn it on/off with a signal or take out/put in signal cords when on, most aren't loud.)

The soft hiss coming from the drivers is normal right?

Ok one more- What is your procedure for turning the box on? Do you do battery, amp active, unmute, then play signal? So 2 or 3 switches?

..Going to attempt to dig the internet for help..

I think this would be a nice battery for a boombox using AMP11-LV but shipping cost is $123!!! Do you know where to find ~equal batteries (and a charger) in Europe (preferably in Finland)?

I generally do not recommend using obsolete li-ion technologies for boomboxes. Use modern li-alloy technologies like LiFePO4 batteries instead. Shipping is so expensive because obsolete li-ion technologies like the ones used in our mobile phones and laptops are environmental and safety hazards in larger capacity sizes needed for boomboxes. Modern li-alloy batteries do not have these problems and therefore shipping costs are many times lower.

For example, 12V 7ah lithium iron battery /lifepo4 scooter battery-in Storage Batteries from Electrical Equipment & Supplies on Aliexpress.com

Last edited:
I think this would be a nice battery for a boombox using AMP11-LV but shipping cost is $123!!! Do you know where to find ~equal batteries (and a charger) in Europe (preferably in Finland)?

FWIW, shipping a priority mail flat rate USPS box, (which can contain that battery and allows more than that weight) USA to Finland costs U$ 60.
International Price Calculator

FWIW, shipping a priority mail flat rate USPS box, (which can contain that battery and allows more than that weight) USA to Finland costs U$ 60.
International Price Calculator

Sorry. No. Not unless you want a charge for mail fraud.

Li-ion battery packs are restricted materials and is no longer allowed to be shipped internationally by any means to any end user unless they are contained in the equipment they are supposed to power, or the battery pack is UN38.3 approved and certified as guided by UN3480 regulation.

This highly strengthening of the original regulation took effect on January 1st 2013. Please note that it is considered mail fraud to try and circumvent these transport regulations.

The LiFePO4 battery pack linked above (and similar packs) are UN38.3 certified.

Last edited:
Sorry. No. Not unless you want a charge for mail fraud.

Li-ion battery packs are restricted materials and is no longer allowed to be shipped internationally by any means to any end user unless they are contained in the equipment they are supposed to power, or the battery pack is UN38.3 approved and certified as guided by UN3480 regulation.

This regulation took effect on January 1st 2013. Please note that it is considered mail fraud to try and circumvent these transport regulations.

The LiFePO4 battery pack linked above (and similar packs) are UN38.3 certified.

Just to clarify, as I didn’t look into this much myself. Does this include lifepo4?

Just to clarify, as I didn’t look into this much myself. Does this include lifepo4?

Technically yes. But LiFePO4 battery packs can be and generally are UN38.3 certified. Traditional li-ion battery packs as we known them cannot be UN38.3 certified at all.

Note that a paper copy of the certification must always be included when shipped. That's both internationally and nationally (in every country in the world).

Last edited:

This regulation took effect on January 1st 2013.

Ok, thanks, nice to know.
This very fresh regulation is news to me.
:)

Ok, thanks, nice to know.
This very fresh regulation is news to me.
:)

Frankly, it came as a shock to me too and several people over at speakerplans.com as well. One guy ordered a li-ion pack before Christmas and they went through with no problems. Another guy order between Christmas and New Years and got a note from the reseller (after having been sent several mails and waited for a long time) that due to new regulations they could not shipped, and he got his money back. All the more reason to switch to modern li-alloy batteries instead. They are superior for the purpose anyways.

I don't know who saw my post here but I bought some LifePO4 cells from 123rc, and made a 15ah (15000mah) 13.2v battery pack for $128 including shipping. I got it two weeks ago and I am still on the first charge, right around 45 hours with moderate volume. Don't know why anyone would want to go Li-Ion when their life cycle is 600-1000 and LifePo4 is 1200-2000.

I don't know who saw my post here but I bought some LifePO4 cells from 123rc, and made a 15ah (15000mah) 13.2v battery pack for $128 including shipping. I got it two weeks ago and I am still on the first charge, right around 45 hours with moderate volume. Don't know why anyone would want to go Li-Ion when their life cycle is 600-1000 and LifePo4 is 1200-2000.

That's a very low estimate cycle life. Usually lifepo4s can do 3000-5000 cycles before 15% degradation of capacity.

That's a very low estimate cycle life. Usually lifepo4s can do 3000-5000 cycles before 15% degradation of capacity.

Perhaps he has gathered his facts from the RC world. In that high C application the lifecycle is considerable shorter. Even as little as 500 cycles. In the low 1 to 2 C application, certainly 2000 cycles should be bare minimum.

Last edited:

Can you link us to the exact cells you brought?

boomintor build

I'm thinking of putting together a bluetooth boominator;

I've got the following parts;

T-amp (ta-2024 2x 15w)
wharfdale diamond speakers ( damaged tweeters that I pulled out)
9800mAH 12v Li-on battery (rechargable)
------

needed;
bluetooth module receiver
------

optional;
tweeters
2 way cross over / or dsp active crossover

Somehow I need to patch the holes in my speakers, and mount them together side by side.

I'd like to add new tweeters & a 2 way crossover. ( I was advise that it's really hard to just use the existing cross over with just any tweeters - and didn't get any support about getting replacement tweeters.)

I'd then finish it with some carbon fiber weave wrap, add a handle, build a new speaker grill. I should be good to go.

I'm thinking of putting together a bluetooth boominator.

You do know that a Boominator is not just some random speakers and amps put together, right?

It the name I came up with for my very specific boombox design described in this thread.

Granted. I know that due to the success of my design, the name is now almost synonymous with any large portable speaker above and beyond the standard ghettoblaster but since this thread exclusively discuss my original design, I'd prefer you start a different thread with your questions.

Last edited: