The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Oh damn, didn't realise that! Another alternative is the 12-500lf, which is slightly looser at Qts=0.51, sens 96-97db, Vas=66. But it does have a lovely BASS response, with a Vd of 0.3 :D.

The 12-200LT also looks very good, Vas=78, but has a whizzer so usable up to 10kHz!!

Bearing in mind the whole thing is going to be a little larger anyway, the Vas should hopefully scale .. Looks like I'm going to spend this afternoon simming :)

Not sure about Europe, but Fane are very popular here in the UK, so shouldn't be too hard :D

Hi,

It is a cloudy cold snowy Sunday here in the UK so I though I would do a bit of a simulation for your drivers (in winISD Pro its not perfect but it is free). I have assume 55 liters volume as someone mentioned this in an earlier post and that you will be using 4 drivers in the box. It looks like the role off for both a closed and vented box might be a bit early but you will have lots of sensitivity. The graph assumes 2.3V on each driver (i.e 4W) so if its right you should have a 108dB for 4W which seems good to me.

I have created the driver from the data you referenced; so if you want to try a different volume it won't take long to rerun it.

The vented box assumes a port tuned to 100Hz any lower and you don't gain anything more; it also assumes 4 x 8 cm diameter by 5cm long ports, as I used the more accurate transmission line model you can also see some port resonance higher up the response. If you use smaller ports you rapidly run into port velocity problems which will cause chuffing and excessive port resonance peaking.

winISD provides lots of other graphs and having had a quick look at these I can recommend if you go for the vented design that you use some electrical filtering below port resonance as the excursion will get out of hand pretty quickly without. The 1W input was already causing 2mm excursion out of the available 4.5mm.

See graph below Red is the closed cabinet and black the vented(I hope):-

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 527
Hi there!
first of all much respect to everyone participating in the thread, it's one the web's many wonders!!

Ive been reading this post alot lately, and im going to build a boombox, as soon as i can get the registration on 41hz.com working so i can buy a amp6basic!

The thing is is im on a low budget so i'm going for the Half-boominator, also because i dont want a boombox at the size of the boominator.

So should i build it with two HP10W magnet-to-magnet with a tweeter on each side, and then just an electronics compartment on top? thats how i figure it in my head, would it work?

and another thing, the HP10W i've read are out of production and i cant seem to find any for sale :s anyone got some recent news about wheter they are available or not?

best regards
Andreas

So should i build it with two HP10W magnet-to-magnet with a tweeter on each side, and then just an electronics compartment on top? thats how i figure it in my head, would it work?

That how (most of) those that have built the half version have done it. You should just be aware you shouldn't have holes in the centerbracing, and you should have a port in each side if you do it like that. I keep promising myself do make a drawing of it but I never seem to get around to it.

and another thing, the HP10W i've read are out of production and i cant seem to find any for sale :s anyone got some recent news about wheter they are available or not?

They're not in regular production but they are ordered regularly by the main European and Australian importers, so they shouldn't be hard to find in stock at this time of the year. Get within 2 months of the festival season and they're out of stock everywhere in the world.

The have them in stock here P.audio HP-10W - Ljudia - Multimedia Hemelektronik Karaoke PA anläggning DJ utrustning Ljus utrustning (they now also ship to Denmark, btw)

Also in Germany they have it in stock https://www.intertechnik.de/Shop/Loudspeakers/P-Audio/H-Series/_71503_H18-HP10W_1768,en,4354,52326 (also ships to Denmark and the UK, btw)

In Australia Cannonsound offers a special discount for Boominator builders. Mail them and ask. http://www.cannonsound.com.au/p/577293/paudio-hp-10w-10-inch-100-watt-low-frequency.html

EDIT: Remember to "like" the Boominator on facebook to be kept up to date with developments and news about driver availability etc. www.facebook.com/theboominator

Last edited:
Wow fantastic, thank you Saturnus.

No holes in the centerbracing? ok, but other than that just go with the same measurments as one side of the boominator? ofc with a port for each speaker as you say, right?

Another thing just came to my mind, how do i connect the speakers to the amp?
one woofer and one tweeter to each channel?

thanks again for such a fast reply!

Correct on both points.

Also. Since there have been reported lots of issues the Lepai amp, I can no longer in good conscience recommend it as a cost saving (non-diy) alternative to the AMP6. Instead I recommend this eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

At $8.50 including freight anywhere in the world the price is unbeatable as a low cost alternative. Not in a case but a Hammond 1590N case (of any kind) fits perfectly. Doesn't have to be an alucase either if you're only loading it with 8 ohms so a HA1591CFLBK case also do nice in that case.

Last edited:
Yea okay, thats cheap!!
But i cannnot see where i am supposed to attach the jack or wires for the input?
and will schematics and such come with this assembled amp?

one fast off-topic question, how would an amp like that perform with 2x15W do if i connected 2 small hifi living room speakers? for use indoor too of course..

best regards

First i would like to say that its a very awesome party machine you managed to smack together Saturnus, and its very cool you are willing to answers peoples questions even though its 5 years since you made this thread.

Well I'm going to roskilde this year and my brother and I would very much like to replicate your project. So far we managed to get together some parts.
4x SPA-25PA
4x Horn
2x TheseDunno what they are called in english :)

My question is which resistance i need for the horns, and is there an alternative to the Amp6B - it is quite expensive.

Altso i found thisLCD display/volume controller, will it have any influense on the sound quality?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
First i would like to say that its a very awesome party machine you managed to smack together Saturnus, and its very cool you are willing to answers peoples questions even though its 5 years since you made this thread.

Well I'm going to roskilde this year and my brother and I would very much like to replicate your project. So far we managed to get together some parts.
4x SPA-25PA
4x Horn
2x TheseDunno what they are called in english :)

My question is which resistance i need for the horns, and is there an alternative to the Amp6B - it is quite expensive.

Altso i found thisLCD display/volume controller, will it have any influense on the sound quality?

Thanks in advance :)

Have you already bought those drivers? Because they are not suitable replacements for the intended ones.