The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

@ rubennn,
Could you elaborate on the problems related to sound quality and phase problems? How is it experienced and how bad is it?

It's kind of obvious isn't it? You have stereo channels playing opposite ways, so basically there'll be no point with good stereo effect (in an outdoors environment). It's one of the fundamental drawbacks of the half-boominator discount solution.

Indeed that does seem very obvious when you put it like that. I'm new to thinking about even the simplest of physics of sound though so please bear with me.
I was hoping that the problem you mention could be solved (partly at least) by simply placing the Boominator at the right angle but I guess that's not the case.
The main reason why I was interested in the half-Boominator solution was portability. But since you're making a good point I guess I'll reconsider my first impulse which was to sacrifice sound quality for portability.

If you're a perfectionist, go build the full boominator. It sounds incredible even with shitty piezos like the KSN-1005A replica versions. It's worth all the darn money to say the least.

However, if you like to drag the boombox around a lot you might want to consider building the half boominator - that said, you will have more poor sound quality.

One thing to keep in mind though. Most people don't care about sound quality when they're drunk and at a party as long as the music is not utter crap like the boomboxes you buy from an electronics/hifi retailer. I think my half boominator delivered just fine at this year's festival... But... I'm going full next year. Mainly to have more output.

Like I said. It depends on what you like and prioritize. Overall I personally think that the half boominator doesn't come near the perfect full boominator.

And now I don't think I will elaborate more on that front :)

Hi I'm going to try and build a stand alone system/ boominator style and would like to know what the best battery to use would be?

I would be using the Lepai LP-2020A+ amp and considering using a 12V 7Ah SLA battery - not sure about speakers as of yet but considering using the 6x9 speakers I have from an old car and maybe adding some piezo tweeters. I would like to know roughly how long I can expect this possible set up last before the battery dies?

Also saturnus said he used "2 standard 12 Volts 7 Ah SLA paralleled and stacked on top eachother" - how would you charge these, Would you have to separate them and charge them one by one? What charger did you use?

I was considering using a cheap charger and putting it within the "box" with everything else and make a connection on the side of the box to plug the power cable in or maybe put that in as well and make a door to take it out when required. - has anyone done anything like this?

Don't know if it's an easy choice. It's confounded by the fact that you can't actually buy the bubble horn piezos.

Well, i got this from one of sellers on ebay:
They are currently on backorder from our supplier, we are hopeing to recieve another shipment of them within the next few weeks.

Thanks,
Craig

So i'm hoping for the best :D

On a second note, i found this solar panel:
KeryChip WEBSHOP - solceller, solcelleanlæg, tilbehør

I've got word from kerychip that the frame should be removeable, which hopefully should make it a proper size for the lid.

But is it usable?

That panel is not removable. I've got it in the basement.

At least I don't think it's removable. I can't seem to find a way to pull the frame from the panel because it seems like the frame (hard plastic) is glued to the glass. Be my guest to try me! ;P

How about that..

This is the exact quote from the email from them :eek:
Ja det er muligt at få rammen af men så bortfalder garantien og solcellen bliver ikke så godt isoleret og vil hurtig gå i stykker, mest hvis den stå udenfor

I've noticed the solarpanel kostecki wrote about and saw this:

Tilsluttes direkte til batteriet - minimum 40Ah/12V.
Til mindre batterier skal man have laderegulator for at undgår overopladning

(in english: connects directly to the batteri - minimum 40Ah/12V.
For smaller batteries, you will need a charging regulator to avoid overcharging the batteri)

Is the charging regulator really necessary?

(I myself will be using two 7,2Ah batteries in a parallel connection.)