The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Fill on the grooves on the backside of the horn first then make thick circular rings of silicone roughly 1cm apart also on the back part of the horn. Check that the driver bit hasn't come loose. If it has glue it into place. Cover the back of the driver bit with an even coat of silicone.

Must be non-acidic silicone, other than that no requirements.

Also try with a larger resistor value like 80-100 ohms instead. Don't worry, it will not lower the output.

But the siliconing of piezos, I always recommend doing that. They always improve a lot in sound when that is done. And I also will also note that I always take apart the driver section and glue it back into place. More often than not the serious vibrations it is subjected to inside the cabinet will shake apart a low cost piezo only assembled with 2 small screws.

Thx.

Will try this today, and see how it works out.

Edit:
Is the wattage of the resistor of any importance, and if so, what is recommended?

Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
hehe you know your Gibson smolder ;)

I had an experience with ebay and a PVR, supposedly they sent it and it was returned as undeliverable, then they supposedly sent it again and again undeliverable, I asked for the courier information so I could query the courier company over it and they offered my my money back, I took it.

I think that was probably a somewhat different situation, in that I got the goods for a price lower than what the vendor wanted to sell (such is the nature of auctions), but know the feeling of frustration!

Enjoy Thailand!!

Tony.

ps. strictly speaking you shouldn't quote official mod posts either ;)

Im looking to change the input capacitors on my AMP6. Instead of the 3.3uF that creates a cutoff frequency of 2.2Hz im looking to use a 0.1 uF which should give a cutoff of around 72Hz which I think will fit my need better.

My box uses 4 x Monacor SP 60/8 in a, around, 16L closed cabinet. The cabinet is in the process of being redesigned as a vented cabinet with a tuning frequency of 65Hz, but more on that later :)

The box is to be used outdoor so I guess that everyhing below 100Hz is wasted. Will this capacitor work? 20pcs SIEMENS EPCOS Capacitor 0.1uF/100V FILMCAP | eBay

Im not looking for absolute Hi-Fi.

Im looking to change the input capacitors on my AMP6. Instead of the 3.3uF that creates a cutoff frequency of 2.2Hz im looking to use a 0.1 uF which should give a cutoff of around 72Hz which I think will fit my need better.

Please note that roll-off starts at precisely double the crossover frequency. With the Boominator 0.22uF should be minimum (roll-off starting at 65Hz).

In principle none with the GW1058 though you should note it does not have as natural roll-off as the HP10W there the choice of piezo will be more important, or least more obvious, as the overlap between the woofer and the piezo will not be as wide in frequency range. This will be most noticeable directly in front of the drivers.

No idea with SPA10PA really, as I haven't tested that but going by the frequency response graph, you can't use piezos with that as it doesn't go high enough in frequency to effectively meet (one of the otherwise recommended) piezos. Also they have a nasty peak at the top of their frequency range which needs to be dampened which again points towards a regular horn tweeter with a regular crossover to be used which will lower power efficiency (quite a lot).

Last edited:
Please note that roll-off starts at precisely double the crossover frequency. With the Boominator 0.22uF should be minimum (roll-off starting at 65Hz).

Ok. Since I'm looking to get the same frequncy response as the original boominator it will make sense to use the same value for the capacitor.

4 Nichicon 50V 0.22UF Fine-Gold FG for Audio Capacitor | eBay

They should be interchangeable with ones originally supplied with the amp6 I guess.

Now that i have requested for money refund from PLUS-Elektronik is there anywhere i can get these drivers ? Anyone got any lately ? It's frustrating to sit with all the components and just wait for the drivers. :(

I agree with you, except that in my case I still need a working amp6basic. Had trouble desoldering the faulty chip on the amp and fear it's damaged, and the service isn't the best at 41hz either...

Just have to say a BIG thnx to Saturnus, ty for sharing your design. And thnx to all the other posters. I have finished my boomminator, only thing left is the painting :) Didnt use the original setup since it wasnt available, but the sound is amazing :D Compared to the JVC Boomblaster it sounds WAAAY better and have better bass. Im gonna toss my JVC Boomblaster out the window :D Gonna build me onother one next year, just building it was more than half the fun. Again ty Sat and all the posters, this was just what i was looking for :D

Btw i used IMG Stageline SPA-10PA and MGR CH-5 A with the Lepai LP-2020A+ :)

Last edited:
Think my Lepai has broken down. Just finished building everything and was going to try everything one last time before I put the last top part of plywood on. No sound is coming out, but the amps blue lights are glowing. Tried with the hp-10w only, and still no sound. Then tried with a couple of random speakers lying around, and no sound there either with the Lepai. I've used the amp one time before this, when I tested all the speakers lying freely on the table, and it was working back then. What do you guys think has happened? Get a new amp?