The Best Sounding DUAL opamps

Updates Of LME49860NA

Just replaced the lm4562 with a lme 49860. Initial listening comes with a tighter and deep bass. The rest all seem similar. Will burn in the chip and hear how it goes. Will the forum updated.

Hi All,

After almost a month of burning in.. of the LME49860 , i personally like the sound of LME49860 more than LME4562 /LME49720. Measurement wise no oscillation and the output wave form is clean . IMO sound "smoother" and without loosing any details or clarity.

So which Op-amp next? OPA627s or Muses02 both of these are very expensive will these op-amp make substantial differences? Any advise will be much appreciated.

hi

muses02 is a BJT - opa 627 is a Difet
muses 02 is colored op amp --- 627 colorless opamp.
for after dac u need a color ... i favorate opa2604 & muses8920
muses 8920 is a Jfet ... for after D/A input impedance is very important . if u have dual voltage and can use DIP pac . go muses01 for this point (I/V stage after DA).

for all point (buffer & filter & all ) opa627 is Unbeatable.

thanks. afshin

And of course, OPA627 is a single while MUSES02 is a dual. (Which might seem obvious but some people seem to miss it anyway.)

MUSES02 is just a fancified NJM4580 though, with very little actual performance difference, so if I were curious I'd just stick with the lowly $0.50 version...

OPA627 is a very good part by all accounts. Its bootstrapped cascode input stage (a rare sight) keeps common-mode distortion and input impedance distortion low, and it's a rather good load driver as well (at 7 mA for a single, it's not a power miser either). There are very few types that address all the common types of distortion equally well - AD797 comes to mind, and that one's kind of a diva (though admittedly brilliant). All this while giving decently low voltage noise and the extremely low current noise levels and better RF immunity of a FET input part.
However, the LME49860 isn't such a bad deal really. It actually does better in load driving and high-frequency common-mode distortion. Its input impedance distortion, while higher, still is decently low absolutely speaking, current noise is on the highish side though. If your surrounding impedances are low / matched, you may as well stick with that one. The '627 would be ahead if you had to deal with very high source impedances, maybe in some measurement application. Maybe in a very low-distortion MM phonopre as well (even if that is pointless given the high inherent distortion levels of vinyl).

No, you adjusted to the "new" sound then your opinion changed.

I've heard all the op-amps mentioned here and their performance/sound will depend upon the application and the surrounding circuitry.

Still these op-amp "rolling" threads are fun to read, though.

Yes, I believe you are right. They just sound subtly different with the surrounding circuitry. Not generic as I hoped them to be. After much listening, I still prefer my old favourites the OPA2228 when voltage rail is not an issue. The OPA1612 is useful when the voltage rail is only 5v because of the smaller dropout voltage.

Which opamp is known for a neutral/natural sound with good soundstage and airiness? I want to build a custom AMP and right now ordering some parts. Opamps also go into the shopping list.

I was thinking of LM4562NA or OPA1642. I think I may not need buffer at outputs. The amp is gong to drive insensitive and hungry things like AKG, HiFiMan and sensitive things like IEMs, multi armature BA's, etc. Pretty wide range of usage. So I need to have a high output drive and a very low output impedance as well

Which opamp is known for a neutral/natural sound with good soundstage and airiness? I want to build a custom AMP and right now ordering some parts. Opamps also go into the shopping list.

I was thinking of LM4562NA or OPA1642. I think I may not need buffer at outputs. The amp is gong to drive insensitive and hungry things like AKG, HiFiMan and sensitive things like IEMs, multi armature BA's, etc. Pretty wide range of usage. So I need to have a high output drive and a very low output impedance as well

My favourite for airiness and neutral sound is still the OPA2228. If you need to run lower voltages, then use OPA1612.

However, you can try OPA2822 for driving headphones. I quite like them. You can check out the datasheet.

My favourite for airiness and neutral sound is still the OPA2228. If you need to run lower voltages, then use OPA1612.

However, you can try OPA2822 for driving headphones. I quite like them. You can check out the datasheet.
I was reading quite a lot of good things on OPA1612+LME49600 combination. I think this can be a good setup. Bipolars generally are reported to have cleaner sound.

I will definitely use a buffer, because I want a direct coupled output with no capacitor so that I can get a very deep bass.

I will surely look at OPA2228/2823, my other option was OPA1642. I read that OPA1642 has one of the best soundstages

Sent from my HTC Desire 820 dual sim using Tapatalk

Hi All,

Please advise what would be the best bet for a modern replacement of the NJM353 in my 12-15 years old vintage 4X60W Class A Zero Feedback car amplifier?

Tried dual OPA627AU on adaptor but the sound is of reduced volume, of loss details and PCB is warmer than before ... and the noob in me did not realized the input current of 7mA X 2 or 14mA for the each of 4 dual adaptor as compared to 3.6mA each for the NJM353. Not sure if "oscillation" is happening due to the increased bandwidth in older PCB design or the input current drawn is just too much for the PSUs to handle and I am not knowledgeable enuff to mod PSUs or other parts.

I have also received the LME49720HA but with 10mA and not good for repeated desoldering, I hope for other recommendations in addition to the OPA2107 at input current of 4.5mA which seems to be most compatible for the final try or can I push it a little to 6-7mA requirement of the AD8620 since the slower and warmer nature of these Class A amplifiers may be helped by reported "faster' AD op amps.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Richard
Singapore

Possibly oscillations because of the adapters. The feedback network should be as close to the pins as possible.

I would try OPA1642, LM4562, OPA2228 or OPA1612.

I was reading quite a lot of good things on OPA1612+LME49600 combination. I think this can be a good setup. Bipolars generally are reported to have cleaner sound.

I will definitely use a buffer, because I want a direct coupled output with no capacitor so that I can get a very deep bass.

I will surely look at OPA2228/2823, my other option was OPA1642. I read that OPA1642 has one of the best soundstages

Personally I prefer LM4562, OPA2228 and OPA1612 over OPA1642 because of the input noise that makes it sound less pristine.

You can also try OPA1612 as buffer with OPA2822 for the headphone driver. The higher current drive of the OPA2822 would be beneficial. This combination will sound slightly more clinical than the OPA2228/OPA2822 combination.

Some players uses the LMH6643 as headphones driver but I think doesn't sound as tight as the OPA2822.

Yeah, LM4562 is a good alternative, I think it can directly drive headphones without need of a buffer. ~42mA drive should be enough, I will have to look at its output impedance characteristics.

Does the OPA2228 sound much better than OPA1612 in the same circuit? And how does it compare to LM4562? Since it is going to be a custom AMP I can prepare the layout so that it will be easier to swap opamps.

Yeah, LM4562 is a good alternative, I think it can directly drive headphones without need of a buffer. ~42mA drive should be enough, I will have to look at its output impedance characteristics.

Does the OPA2228 sound much better than OPA1612 in the same circuit? And how does it compare to LM4562? Since it is going to be a custom AMP I can prepare the layout so that it will be easier to swap opamps.

It really depends on the circuit. Some subjectively sounds better with the OPA2228 and some with OPA1612. If I want it more airy, I would go for the OPA2228. The OPA1612 is very detailed and quite clinical sounding.

Be mindful that the OPA2228 is a little unstable if the gain is lower than 5 with non-resistive loads but I seem to be able to use it to replace other opamps in many occasions. I do encounter some instability especially with equaliser circuits.

Hello
greetings just recieved LM4562 ics can anyone post a really high quality +/- 15 volt i am presently using the silicon chip studio series regulated +/- 15
volt supply using LM337T LM317T is there any better supply
warm regards
Andrew;)

Attachments

• component-side.jpg
    component-side.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 2,020
It really depends on the circuit. Some subjectively sounds better with the OPA2228 and some with OPA1612. If I want it more airy, I would go for the OPA2228. The OPA1612 is very detailed and quite clinical sounding.

Be mindful that the OPA2228 is a little unstable if the gain is lower than 5 with non-resistive loads but I seem to be able to use it to replace other opamps in many occasions. I do encounter some instability especially with equaliser circuits.

Sure, I will design the circuit accordingly then. I was thinking of a differential/instrumentation AMP kind of technique which will make it easier to have separate ground connection for audio AMP/output stage and DAC.

For differential AMP configuration I read that LME49990 is also a great chip, I know I cannot get answer to every question unless I try it myself. It would be helpful if I could know how the opamp performs so that I don't waste money on useless opamps.

LT1364 biased to class A with jfet ccs-s is the most "natural" sounding op-amps i ever tried.

LT1361 is as almost as good, has lower quiescent current and is more forgiving in marginally stable applications. AD8022 has more body, and LM6172 has better dynamics and micro-detail. Mostly a matter of subjective preference.

LT1057 (JFET input) also has body and a somewhat laid-back presentation, which is worth considering as a drop-in replacement for the OPA2134 in most applications. LT1113 is also usable JFET-input opamp, but with lower slew-rate.