The Best Movies Ever Made

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I too saw Avatar in 3D, but it's in the wrong thread - it belongs over under "The Worst Movies Ever Made".

Whilst the 3D effect is stunning, the rest of the film (plot, characterisation, acting, editing etc) was garbage. It was too long, too facile and too much like watching Pocahontas with blue people, or Fern Gully with gunships.

2 stars. One star for the visuals, one star for the scene with a mech jumping from an exploding gunship. The rest of the film attracts no stars at all.

We will have to disagree on this on friend, I was and am quite willing to suspend belief for a short time, and i have been a fan of the genre since I was 12YO and got all of the sideways homages to classic story lines and SF & F book covers and Christopher Foss spaceships

Just to give you the right impression of the hype around "Dinner For One" in Germany (and Switzerland): Nobody would ever consider to watch it another day but New Year's Eve. At this day it's broadcasted time-displaced via all 3rd programs of the ARD. Beside the "original" version there also exist a subsequently-coloured version and some dialectical versions. A few years ago someone actually wrote a dissertation about it...
My good friend Eva, who owns a little hotel at the shore, offered her guests a "Dinner For One"-menu at last New Year's Eve (including her man Sascha playing "James" and a bearskin made of polyesters lying in front of the fireplace). :D
The first time I watched the sketch, I wasn't very amused too. Slapstick is normally not my kind of humor. But over the years it won my heart. Not least, because it's "just" funny and harmless. In addition to it, it also has a fine human quality. James did everything to please Miss Sophie. He acted as the butler, as the four long deceased friends and last but not least as the lover of Miss Sophie. I guess she's had a nice 90th birthday. :)

Last edited:
Just to give you the right impression of the hype around "Dinner For One" in Germany (and Switzerland): Nobody would ever consider to watch it another day but New Year's Eve. At this day it's broadcasted time-displaced via all 3rd programs of the ARD. Beside the "original" version there also exist a subsequently-coloured version and some dialectical versions. A few years ago someone actually wrote a dissertation about it...
My good friend Eva, who owns a little hotel at the shore, offered her guests a "Dinner For One"-menu at last New Year's Eve (including her man Sascha playing "James" and a bearskin made of polyesters lying in front of the fireplace). :D
The first time I watched the sketch, I wasn't very amused too. Slapstick is normally not my kind of humor. But over the years it won my heart. Not least, because it's "just" funny and harmless. In addition to it, it also has a fine human quality. James did everything to please Miss Sophie. He acted as the butler, as the four long deceased friends and last but not least as the lover of Miss Sophie. I guess she's had a nice 90th birthday. :)

I still dont get it, is it only funny and entertaining on New Years Eve to Gernans and Swiss folk?

So many great movies have been mentioned so far, plus a few that are debatable (Avatar for instance):rolleyes:
A couple not mentioned which I thought were really good were "The curious case of Benjamin Button" and if you get a chance, watch "Waking Ned Devine" its a gem.

How about audiophile content?

I just watched "All Night Long" again, with Patrick McGoohan. In this Richard Attenborough plays a rich London playboy that pays jazz artistis to play at big private parties and records them on an impressive reel-to-reel setup. Highly recommended, this movie has a lot of first rate artists doing cameos.

The footage of Charles Mingus is priceless!

http://jazzcrisis.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/mingus-55-cover-folder.jpg mingus-55-cover-folder.jpg

As we are getting ready for Summer "Mr. Hulot's Holiday" is just a wonderful movie, one which can be watched with enjoyment over and over again.

I received a copy of "Menschen am Sonntag" a couple months back, but will have to get a spare player as it has to be set to European standards. I've been unable to find one recorded for the US.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.