The Best - How would you do it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The best format. What I mean by that is that the (waveguide + CD)/15 setup provides the best available combination of "things that matter." I guess I would say it does the least wrong. In terms of linear behavior, first of all it provides constant directivity over a large amount of its range and then transitions smoothly into wider directivity at low frequencies and secondly if the horn/waveguide is good it doesn't do anything nasty up high that cannot be corrected with processing. In terms of dynamics it provides the requisite levels of output for reproducing a music event with negligible nonlinear distortion and thermal compression. These are all very basic things that are known to be primary contributors to the sound quality of a stereo. Practically, it is a cost effective and simple way to achieve these things. Not many formats can lay claim to all of these criteria.

It has been my experience that the sound quality of a speaker (if it has been tuned and implemented reasonably) is fairly predictable based on (1) the design of the stereo and (2) major problems in the components. Physical limitations and parameters of the drivers and processing choices usually tell the dynamics story, and the locations and frequency ranges of the various radiators in the system along with any problems they have tell the tonality story. The tonality part has been tested and documented well over the last 25+ years (Toole, Olive, etc). The dynamics part not so much, but with many speakers it's so blatant that it isn't necessary to know what matters when you are on the border line.

FYI, at the moment I run (waveguide + CD)/12/15, but after using this setup for a while, taking a series of measurements, and reviewing available information on the components and on perception tests of various "factors," I have concluded that I will not being giving up any of the dynamics I am using by putting the CD on a bigger horn, chucking the 12, and running the 15 up to the horn. Thermally it is pretty close- with highly compressed material at max volume I'll be dissipating about 15w continuous (as opposed to 7-8 now) into the 15 which is really about as much as I want to do, but I think the simplicity is worth it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.