The best all-round solid state gear ever. period

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Folks, i suggest a trek to your local hi-end store, get yourself acquainted with the top of the range Meridian digital theatre.

http://www.meridian-audio.com/welcome.htm

Recommended ammunition:

1. adagio for strings
samuel barber

2. Canon in D
Pachelbel

3. The lark ascending
Vaughan Williams

4. Nimrod
Elgar

5. Romance in E flat major for string orchestra, op. 11
gerald Finzi

Be prepared to weep buckets....lots of tissue required...:bawling:

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
AKSA said:
Mikek,

I applaud your taste in music, impeccable. Lark and Nimrod are two of my absolute favourites.

You're an argumentatitve bugger, but you certainly know good music...........

Cheers,

Hugh

thank you kindly....:) .....on that note i would heartily recommend the london chamber orchestra's interpretation of Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings .....First time i heard that, i spontaneously bust into tears!!:nod:

P.S: Samuel Barber was (RIP), an American.......who says Americans lack creativity..??:)

my favourite amp was the mc 500....I had that hooked up to my Nak dragon deck and my studio Lab speakers ......buying houses feeding kids etc came and I had to sell it...all I have is my old pioneer gear now which I still use and appreciate

Attachments

• mc500.jpg
    mc500.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 929
Hi!

JOE DIRT® said:
my favourite amp was the mc 500....I had that hooked up to my Nak dragon deck and my studio Lab speakers ......buying houses feeding kids etc came and I had to sell it...all I have is my old pioneer gear now which I still use and appreciate

Reminds me of people (guys...) owning not-so-cheap sports cars in their late twenties, early thirties... being forced to give them up because of marriage and children, either because they need the money, or their cars are too unpractical for a small family...

Seems to be the same with HiFi gear...
a) expensive
b) Kids like pushing their fingers into tweeters :eek: , Helmholtz resonators :rolleyes: , and like touching things not made to be touched, like DIY gear with mains voltage not properly secured... :cannotbe:

Actually, that are some more reasons for me not to plan a family...

But who knows, I'm just 27, and my opinions have changed a lot over the last years... :nod:

One thing I know for sure: I will never spend as much money of hifi gear that I could buy a sports car or a superbike with it...

Sound reproductions has its limits...

Bye,

Arndt

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Cradle22 said:
b) Kids like pushing their fingers into tweeters :eek: , Helmholtz resonators :rolleyes: , and like touching things not made to be touched, like DIY gear with mains voltage not properly secured... :cannotbe:

my plasma TV is covered by filthy finger prints and drools. My kids and their kiddie friends would touch their favorite characters on screen, all the time. No matter how much efforts I put into persuading them and educating them, they just wouldn't listen, :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
JOE DIRT® said:

that is a serious piece of hardware you've got there..:nod:

got the schematic..?

A wee bit of music for my ears, eh?

Excellent choices of music, I must agree!

The Meridian gear is indeed excellent. It's easily set up and tailored as well. I remember fighting with the first generation digital active speakers in 1990. We had some issues with the internal amplifier in one assembly. Come to think of it, I still prefer the basic geometric shape of them...

Digital control of the final audible product has come a long way indeed. I don't think many manufacturers have executed this better than Boothroyd and Stewart. Take, for example, the "balance" control: on a Meridian, this is far more than a mere realignment of the right and left channels- the timing of the two signals is changed!

As for my vote for the "best" all-round solid state gear? There are so many choices, aren't there! I still get all warm and fuzzy remembering the sound of Thresholds tickling my speakers...the Adagio for Strings sounded wonderful. In my system, driving big speakers required horsepower.

Bob

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Re: A wee bit of music for my ears, eh?

Neutron Bob said:

Take, for example, the "balance" control: on a Meridian, this is far more than a mere realignment of the right and left channels- the timing of the two signals is changed!

Ingenious or what!!..:nod:

Neutron Bob said:

As for my vote for the "best" all-round solid state gear? There are so many choices, aren't there!
Bob

I reckon the top-end meridian set-up really takes the biscuit...what?:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.