The beaty of p2p wiring

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 710
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 700
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 680
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 631
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 614
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 349
  • D10.jpg
    D10.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 343
  • D20.jpg
    D20.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 343
  • D30.jpg
    D30.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 334
  • D40.jpg
    D40.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 350
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Didn't really end up; I never finished that amp. It was more of an exercise in introduction to p2p wiring. I later built Aleph 5 this way though: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/4018-more-beauty-p2p-wiring.html

Recently, I've built few DACs using p2p method and I'm very satisfied with the results, in fact this is my best effort yet ;)

Peter, in post #4 in your "More beauty of point to point" you show a pic from the top that reveals 3 out puts on each side. What are those thick pads under the outputs? Or is it just the reflection off the heat sink surface that makes them look that fat?

Thanks in advance,

Russellc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Kind of an old hat, but anyway, here's my p2p Mini Aleph built inside a heatsink (15cm wide/high/deep). Toasty.

And mind you, I built this using lead-free solder (99% Zn and 1% Cu).
In the 5th picture you'll notice that the Zener is facing in the wrong direction. That cost me quite some nerves. And yes, the IRF9610's are mounted with superglue. :D

Attachments

• 22k.JPG
    22k.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 427
  • psu.JPG
    psu.JPG
    221.9 KB · Views: 418
  • startoff.JPG
    startoff.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 410
  • both_alephCS.JPG
    both_alephCS.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 397
  • both_alephCS_inst.JPG
    both_alephCS_inst.JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 386
  • grounding_lug.JPG
    grounding_lug.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 258
  • output_rs.JPG
    output_rs.JPG
    229.1 KB · Views: 232
  • close1.JPG
    close1.JPG
    270.2 KB · Views: 275
  • minia_side2.JPG
    minia_side2.JPG
    230.8 KB · Views: 303
As in post 64, I had the idea of using a plastic as a capacitor frame. I bought some nylon block and found it surprisingly unhappy about my drilling (smoke, etc). My question is whether I should persist with Nylon, or try and find an easier to work plastic? The ebay shop where I got my nylon block also offers polyethylene, polypropylene, ptfe and others. Any suggestions would be most welcome

Thanks

Joined 2004
Paid Member
btw, how does it sound?

Very sweet. I'm feeding FE108EZ horns with it. The bass lacks some control that a LM3886 with regulated supply could offer, but the Mini-Aleph's midrange sweetness is unique. At least to my ears.

As in post 64, I had the idea of using a plastic as a capacitor frame. I bought some nylon block and found it surprisingly unhappy about my drilling (smoke, etc). My question is whether I should persist with Nylon, or try and find an easier to work plastic? The ebay shop where I got my nylon block also offers polyethylene, polypropylene, ptfe and others. Any suggestions would be most welcome

Thanks

Be careful with ptfe, fumes and smoke from ptfe can be can be highly toxic and corrosive. I imagine machining polypropylene is not wildly different from nylon, but I'm no expert with these materials. You can find many article on machining polypropylene though, and it seems to be quite cheap.
Use some liquid coolant to keep the plastic's temperature down when machining. Alcohol (Isopropanol) or even water should do the trick. Stay away from acetone, it dissolves many plastics. Polyethylene is resistant to actone though, that's why the squeeze bottles are usually made of it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.