• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The beast OTL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone built the Transcendent Sound Beast OTL? I had built the origninal 6AS7 version in glass audio 18 years ago but scaled it up to 200 watts a channel. I used to call it the popcorn amp because the 6AS7's run close to class A did not last long but at $6 a tube that was ok (it had 20 per side or 40 sections). That tube is really expensive now.

I sold it about 8 years ago and now have the interest to build this circuit. I think I will part it out myself, I bought the cd from Bruce. I cannot afford the commercial versions of OTL's as they are out of sight price wise. If anyone out there has done this I would be interested to hear from you.

My take on the transcendent sound amp is that it is designed for long life and is really simple with easily available parts. Some may want a more sophisticated power supply with regulators and it seems you could do this easily. It is biased conservatively and if it sounds fine that is all that counts. thanks for the help--dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.