The Ariel as never seen before (incorporating Stig Erik Tangens Almighty subwoofers)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you raised the xo to ~130Hz you could just use a sealed mid box, adding a 12dB/oct high pass to it to give you your 24dB acoustic slope. The sub is close enough not to worry about the higher xo point.

Don't forget that the 2226's are flat right up to 1200 on axis, and start to beam around 800. More than good enough to cross that little bit higher.

It would also give your mids a bit more output to keep up with those jbl's.

Nice project btw:)

Rob

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Ninfendo said:

Hmm, I think it's time that we once and for all get rid of some common misconception. North American designs do tend to be larger than their UK counterparts. I do think there is a good reason for this, as it all boils down to living standards. In the US living rooms tend to be larger, and sound absorbing carpets on the floor are quite common. These living rooms can thus accommodate large speakers.

I come originally from Northern Sweden but live in the UK since three years. Property in the UK is dreadfully expensive and flats and houses are miniscule in size. In the UK I pay something like US$ 2000 per month in rent. Back home we have bathrooms (including the Sauna) which are the size of my current house.

I really don't think we can rightfully criticize the size of some American speaker designs, as it is the relatively low living standards in the UK which are to blame for Ben's prejudice.

Hell yeah, I'm jealous to death of the bu**ers with there 1000ft3 lounges, awesome stuff for great acoustics.

RobWells said:
If you raised the xo to ~130Hz you could just use a sealed mid box, adding a 12dB/oct high pass to it to give you your 24dB acoustic slope. The sub is close enough not to worry about the higher xo point.

Don't forget that the 2226's are flat right up to 1200 on axis, and start to beam around 800. More than good enough to cross that little bit higher.

It would also give your mids a bit more output to keep up with those jbl's.

Nice project btw:)

Rob

Hi Rob,
I initially planned to use sealed boxes for the midrange. However, after running some simulations I found out that the mid would start falling off at around 200Hz, this is a little high in my opinion. I really did not want to crossover the sub this high as it would cause problems with the stereo imaging etc.
Hence, I went along with the vented mid option.

Active Filters

Since I will use an Active filter for the sub and a highpass filter for midrange, I have started thinking about the possibility of going all Active. Is there anyone out there who have tried transferring Lynn Olsens Ariel filter into an Active design. I realise Olsen spent 6 months tweaking the filters, I am in no way as experienced or patient, so starting from scratch is not something I aspire. Just wanted to know if anyone has used a filter such as the DCX2496 and replaced it with the existing Ariel filters?
I read a post earlier avbout a guy who had transferred the minimalist filter into an Active design, however I don't put much faith into the minimalist filter to be honest.

Ninfendo said:

I think that a digital input is a must. There really isn't much point converting the signal from the CD-Player into analog and then converting it back again.

By using a digital connection you avoid the ADC, but if your crossover upconverts to 96kHz sampling you're going thru a sample rate convertor and an algorythm that can be just as compromised. I'll never understand why people want to convert 44k sampling to 96. Why not just do a linear conversion to 88k and lose the interpolation?

audiobomber said:

By using a digital connection you avoid the ADC, but if your crossover upconverts to 96kHz sampling you're going thru a sample rate convertor and an algorythm that can be just as compromised. I'll never understand why people want to convert 44k sampling to 96. Why not just do a linear conversion to 88k and lose the interpolation?

Hmm, sounds reasonable.
Are there any filters that can sample linearly to 88k? Can this be achieved with the DCX2496?

Ninfendo said:

Hi Rob,
I initially planned to use sealed boxes for the midrange. However, after running some simulations I found out that the mid would start falling off at around 200Hz, this is a little high in my opinion. I really did not want to crossover the sub this high as it would cause problems with the stereo imaging etc.

Vifa P13, sealed box sim:

F3 is ~130Hz Add another 12dB slope at 130 to make 6dB down, will match with 24dB Linkwitz Reilley on the sub.

Cheers,

Rob

Attachments

• vifap13.jpg
    vifap13.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 408
RobWells said:

Vifa P13, sealed box sim:

F3 is ~130Hz Add another 12dB slope at 130 to make 6dB down, will match with 24dB Linkwitz Reilley on the sub.

Cheers,

Rob

Hi Rob,
You are completely right. My simulations were exactly the same. I did however go for ported deisgn as I wanted to get a lower x-over freq. When I get my hands on the digital x-over I will try sealing up the boxes and compare sealed vs ported designs.

audiobomber said:

The DCX2496 only upsamples to 96k. I don't know if there are digital XO's that use 88k. I use an analog Marchand XM44.

As you can probably understand, the Petit Filou is intended to become a reference speaker. I'm playing with the idea of sending a digital signal from the CD-Player into the crossover and from there without converting it to analog onto a digital Amplifier (I have started another thread on the subject).

D2Audio have some interesting products which combine digital crossover with digital amplifier. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Re: bad, better, best

salas said:
The DCX will do the job but it will not 'cut' it quality wise. The Driverack sounds average, the XTA is the best along BSS.
Used em all with line array pro stuff. Trust me.

I've been pleased with the results of using the dcx between my lexicon processor and my scanspeak speakers. I'd like to try other types, but money is an issue. I wouldn't say the dcx is of 'poor' quality. Indeed I tried the ultracurve deq in between my pre and power and could not hear any difference when it was inserted into the link, adjusted flat.

Maybe it's just 'good' as opposed to brilliant ?

Rob

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ninfendo said:

You have to be careful... even thou the BR may get you a lower F3 it is unlikely to get you lower F10... the aperiodic box gives you a bit lower response than sealed, with less back pressure, but with transient response similar to -- some say better -- than sealed.

And in your case it is close to free to play with stuffing the vent to see what sounds best.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ninfendo said:
You are completely right. My simulations were exactly the same. I did however go for ported deisgn as I wanted to get a lower x-over freq. When I get my hands on the digital x-over I will try sealing up the boxes and compare sealed vs ported designs.

I think you may find that what you lost to get the extended bass response in terms of group delay, and a 4th order roll-off at the bottom means that a higher XO is actually required to get a seemless transition...

I guess i should quit hammering the point... once you try it you can make up your own mind.

dave

planet10/ hasn't had a BR he doesn't like better with a stuffed port (lastest Tannoy D50s)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ninfendo said:
6m! Are you squatting in a church or a shopping mall? Are you not afraid someone is going to nick your Hifi gear?

No -- designed the place myself... with the hifi in mind... main living area is divided into 5 "rooms" on 3 levels but all (except the bath) are all open to each other. the ceiling goes from 7 ft to 17 ft in the main room, open at the top to the next room which goes from 12 ft to 8 ft (and has a floor 4 ft above the main room). If i do say so myself the room is awesome... it is really hard to put something in it that doesn't sound good (my current Fostex horns being an exception -- but i got screws today to let me play with the compression chamber size)

dave

planet10 said:

I think you may find that what you lost to get the extended bass response in terms of group delay, and a 4th order roll-off at the bottom means that a higher XO is actually required to get a seemless transition...

I guess i should quit hammering the point... once you try it you can make up your own mind.

dave

planet10/ hasn't had a BR he doesn't like better with a stuffed port (lastest Tannoy D50s)

Ok, point taken.
Will try with normal ported box, stuffed port and sealed. Will use a 2-nd order filter for all, but at different frequencies of course.

RobWells said:
You could always try a linkwitz transform on the mids to squeeze out a half octave if the xo freq is so important. I ~believe~ this will do less harm to group delay etc than a port.

Still going to have trouble keeping up with the jbl though. (max spl will suffer)

Rob

Hi Rob,
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear before. The Plan is currently to use two linkwitz for the sub at 80 Hz, this will thus yield a 24 dB/octave falloff.

The midrange is currently tuned to around 75 Hz so they falloff naturally with 12 dB/octave. I will on top of this add another linkwitz highpass filter at 80 Hz. The combined falloff will thus be 24 dB/octave for the midrange. This filter will make it much easier for the poor Vifas to keep up with the JBLs

Hence, both the sub and mid yield a falloff of 24 dB/octave at 80Hz, that's the whole point with my vented midrange.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.