• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The Aikido or Moskido??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I thought that Moskido is a Japanese martial art school in Moscow, no?

46.jpg

Ok so anyone got a link of someone that used the Aikido for a nice preamp? Like a build thread or what not. I'm thinking I may do a PreAmp before the amp. Also is there a real advantage to using a tube preamp vs a solid state preamp? There are QUITE a few solid state preamp kits I could build. And another question is there a better tube preamp kit out there then the Aikido? Thats somewhat in the same price range (somewhat more expensive is not to bad)

Well one thing you could do is buy a kit like this:

http://www.diyhifisupply.com/diyhs_basie.htm

That would be a good introduction to making things, as it would be easier that making everything yourself from scratch.

Or you could buy John's PCB and make yourself. But that would involve finding a case, PSU, drilling, switching, volume control, etc. And it would likely look home made. At least with the kit above it looks good, and you get remote control.

That is assuming you only need line level inputs (ie you don't play records).

There are other kits, some maybe cost less, some more. But as for being better, I doubt it. I have not heard anything as good, and I have heard it beat $5000 tube preamps, and expensive passive variable transformers (among other things).

Well I was thinking of useing this case

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aluminum-pre-am...1862420QQihZ015QQcategoryZ14980QQcmdZViewItem

Or maybe something else? Par metal or something. Volume control? I don't know that guy has several different kits on ebay and what not. What did you do in your preamp for volume control?

And I would like to eventually add a phonostage but its not needed right away. I just can't really dump 600 all at once and want something to start building. I'd kind of rather build as I go anyways. I don't know seems more DIY that way.

You know I was thinking about that enclosure from DIY-Gene on ebay some more. Do you really think its possible that an aluminum chassis can weight 20Kg? Thats right under 50lbs...for a bare chassis his argument was that the heatsinks add a lot of weight. But they are aluminum too. Just doesn't sound right.

If you take a look at his PreAmp chassis the one thats steel/aluminum only costs about 50 bucks to ship while the aluminum one of the same exact size and design costs 100 to ship...I don't know about you but I don't see how an aluminum enclosure can weight more then a steel one of the same size/design.

Hello Dougie 085

I am in the process of completing an Aikido preAmp (6SN7-6SN7) to hook up to a F4 power amp that I built.
I got the Aikido kit from John Broskie and it is quite straight forward to build. You just have to come up with your own power supply.
The F4 PCB came from a group buy here and are provided by Peter Daniels. My heat sinks came from a Conrad Heat sink group buy last summer. There are lots of heat sinks around and you may be able to find something from one of the members here.

So keep pushing you are on a good path

I hope this helps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.