The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers

graaf said:

can We calculate reflections' delay the way I did it in my first post using law of reflection?
or is anthing wrong with that?

best,
graaf

No there is nothing wrong with that, but did you consider ALL rays in ALL directions impinging on ALL surfaces? I looked at what you had done and it seemed to me that you were ignoring a few key ones. Draw a map of the sources and listeners and show the rays and the distances traveled. That will tell you (and me) what we need to know. Don't forget about the floor, ceiling and back walls. Just because the source is CLOSE to the wall does not mean that it won't refelct off of the wall. Only if it is flush with the wall surface can you assume that.

gedlee said:

No there is nothing wrong with that, but did you consider ALL rays in ALL directions impinging on ALL surfaces? I looked at what you had done and it seemed to me that you were ignoring a few key ones. Draw a map of the sources and listeners and show the rays and the distances traveled. That will tell you (and me) what we need to know. Don't forget about the floor, ceiling and back walls. Just because the source is CLOSE to the wall does not mean that it won't refelct off of the wall. Only if it is flush with the wall surface can you assume that.

Including 2ndary reflections
spkr>wall>spkr cabinet>ears

gedlee said:

yes, as I have said:
the positioning would give very early reflections (VER) <1 ms from adjacent wall. I hope that they would not be strong enough to become audible problem because the Fostex is quite beaming (I don’t know for sure but 8-inchers are typically 7-8 dB down at 1 kHz at 75-90 degrees and 12-15 dB down at 2 kHz). I am also considering using small Carlsson style absorbers effective for midrange and high frequencies as an option.

I drew the maps although I didn't post them. I had to draw them to be able to calculate the path lenghts and delays.
I didn't forget about the floor, ceiling and back walls:
- floor reflection would not reach the listener
- first reflections off the front wall and off the back wall would reach the listener 9.3 ms after the first wavefront
- first reflections off opposite walls would reach the listener 8.3 ms after the first wavefront
- first reflections off the ceiling would reach the listener 8.8 ms after the first wavefront (ear at height of 90 cm, ceiling at height of 300 cm)

It seems that apart from those earliest reflections <1 ms all other reflections are delayed more than 8 ms

all of this assuming that the room
is 350 cm wide and 550 cm long.
(...) positioning the speakers against the opposite longer walls (scheme attached). Stereo basis would be 330 cm. The listener is to be located 200 cm from stereo basis, 250 cm from both speakers

my room is small and hence the delays are in the range of 8-9 ms
in a bigger room they would be easily above 10 ms

if those earliest reflections < 1 ms are problematic, I don't know, then they probably can be absorbed with Carlsson style wall absorbers (images attached earlier in the thread)

these reflections are very specific
are we sure that they are problematic? I don't know
they come from almost exactly the same direction as the direct sound, very early <1 ms (the speaker axis is <13 cm from the wall), they are low pass filtered because of the directivity of the speaker and their contribution to the overall SPL is very small

(in case of Etienne88 setup they are absorbed by the couches)

tell me - are You sure that they are audible and detrimental to the sound?
I understand that in the light of Your research we can say that they probably can be detrimental to the sound but the real question is - are they?
what if not?

best,
graaf

Graaf, now that I read both Beveridge's and Carlsson's papers, I can say that your loudspeaker set up is much more closer to Carlsson than Beveridge. Beveridge idea seems great in theory put in the practice, I don't know...
In our case, with a unique driver firing upward, we get an omnidirectional speaker at the low frequencies. Then, the higher it gets, the closer to a thin cone you get. I don't see any line source in that. Could you explain where you see a line source?

What I will remember from both papers is first, the importance of having a reflected sound with almost the same frequency response as the direct sound (omni or dipole being possible solutions). Second, to take into account the time delay.

I did some delay calculations with the speakers at the armrest level (driver at 60cm above the floor). By the way, it is better like this than with the lower positioning, I get more medium-highs. But then the delay calculation showed that the roof reflection arrives at 4,5ms which is not very nice since it is a difficult one to damp (WAF oblige...). ;)
Some readings (from Olive and Toole) I did told me that: depending on the level and the delay of the reflected sound, the reflection can be perceived as an echo, a broadening of the image, spaciousness or not perceived at all. This means that if you can sufficiently damp a reflection in an undesirable time domain, it will be perceived as spaciousness or not be perceived at all!
Back to delay calculations: I have a short delay from the wall close to the LS at 0,5ms. If this reflexion is 10dB lower than direct sound it will be heard as spaciousness, if it is 20dB down, it will be inaudible. I now get why Carlsson had acoustic foam on the wall side of its speakers. I did the same! :D
The second short reflection is at 1,1ms from the floor. I have a sofa on both sides so that I guess that these reflections are well damped.
I already talk about the roof...
Then we've got the front one (the one hitting the wall you look at when you listen, ok!). The delay is 7,5ms. If the reflection is at least 3dB below the direct sound it is heard as spaciousness, if it is 15dB below, it is not heard at all. I put cushions in front of the window!
The reflexion from the right speaker coming on the left is at 8,6ms. I did not do anything.
I also calculated the secondary reflections, they are really hard to describe with my "poor" English level... 2 are are below 5ms, 5 are between 5 and 10 ms, the rest is above. Since they hit 2 surfaces their level is most probably lower than the direct sound (how much is another question...). Some more damping of the side walls as well as of the roof would be needed. 2 secondary reflections involving the floor are around 8 ms, the sofas are there to tame them!

Going back to Briggs, non directional and natural results are the advantages he named of upward firing units. Remember that it was the beginning of stereo and that most of the book consider mono reproduction. Nevertheless, at the end he writes about column speakers giving good results (subjectively) for stereo listening. Both type have upward firing drivers and a diffusing cone is added above the drivers. The cone can be improved to a circular parabolic diffuser which is turned from hard wood and coated with hard cellulose or shellac. The diffuser might be looking like this.

The last link, shows very nice looking LS which principle remove the need of treating the roof reflections. From that I fully understand how Earl went into horns! :D But I think that it is a mistake (I am young and foolish so that I can do mistakes by myself! ;)) since you don't get any direct reflections from the back wall and less from the side walls, floor and roof.

Regards,
Etienne

Etienne88 said:
Graaf, now that I read both Beveridge's and Carlsson's papers, I can say that your loudspeaker set up is much more closer to Carlsson than Beveridge.
(...)
In our case, with a unique driver firing upward, we get an omnidirectional speaker at the low frequencies. Then, the higher it gets, the closer to a thin cone you get. I don't see any line source in that. Could you explain where you see a line source?

not a line source but I see the beneficial effects of a line source, as I have said my aim was to "emulate" Beveridge setup with conventional cone driver
first - wide and even dispersion in horizontal plane
second - with positioning just above the floor - the problem of floor and ceiling reflection is pratically gone

my loudspeakers are closer to Carlsson but setup is very specific and invented by Beveridge
nowhere in Carlsson paper You can read about speaker positioning against opposite walls - and this is most important in the setup I proposed
only with positioning against opposite walls You can get this much better reflection pattern and longer delays

Etienne88 said:

What I will remember from both papers is first, the importance of having a reflected sound with almost the same frequency response as the direct sound (omni or dipole being possible solutions). Second, to take into account the time delay.
that's right

Etienne88 said:

I did some delay calculations with the speakers at the armrest level (driver at 60cm above the floor). By the way, it is better like this than with the lower positioning, I get more medium-highs.
well, theoretically it should be worst because You get worst reflections
why not trying some frequency equalization instead of elevating the speakers?

Etienne88 said:

I now get why Carlsson had acoustic foam on the wall side of its speakers. I did the same! :D
can You hear any difference with or without those absorbers?

Etienne88 said:

Then we've got the front one (the one hitting the wall you look at when you listen, ok!). The delay is 7,5ms.

move the stereo triangle back a little and it will shift beyond 8 ms :)

Etienne88 said:

I also calculated the secondary reflections, they are really hard to describe with my "poor" English level... 2 are are below 5ms, 5 are between 5 and 10 ms, the rest is above.

which of them are below 5 ms?

there seem to be three time limits separating "very bad" early reflections from "just bad" and then from "not so bad" and "the good" in the end
these time limits seem to be: 5 ms, 10 ms and 20 ms
this is probably why for some the most important is to delay the reflections above 6 ms, such is for example Linkwitz's minimum recommendation

those below 5 ms are really bad

Etienne88 said:

a diffusing cone is added above the drivers. The cone can be improved to a circular parabolic diffuser

I don't know - diffusing cone means a lot of frequency dependent VER
presumably something "not right"

Etienne88 said:

But I think that it is a mistake (I am young and foolish so that I can do mistakes by myself! ;)) since you don't get any direct reflections from the back wall and less from the side walls, floor and roof.

sorry I don't understand this last senstence - what is a mistake?
a waveguide approach?

best,
graaf

graaf said:

I don't know of any such calculator but fortunately the calculations are not overly complicated ;)

just Pythagorean theorem :)

best,
graaf

But it is about orthogonal triangle, isn't it? Tens of them. I am not convinced of practical usefulness of it. Even worse for hand calculation when two borders are included. Grafical solution could be more suitable.

Etienne88 said:

Some readings (from Olive and Toole) I did told me that: depending on the level and the delay of the reflected sound, the reflection can be perceived as an echo, a broadening of the image, spaciousness or not perceived at all. This means that if you can sufficiently damp a reflection in an undesirable time domain, it will be perceived as spaciousness or not be perceived at all!

This is an incorrect conclusion from what Toole said. You NEVER get a spaciousness perception from reflections below 20 ms. So you must either get rid of them below about 20 dB or they will have a negative effect.

The second short reflection is at 1,1ms from the floor. I have a sofa on both sides so that I guess that these reflections are well damped.

I highly doubt that!

Then we've got the front one (the one hitting the wall you look at when you listen, ok!). The delay is 7,5ms. If the reflection is at least 3dB below the direct sound it is heard as spaciousness, if it is 15dB below, it is not heard at all. I put cushions in front of the window!

As I said before this is not correct, at only 3 dB down you will get a bad coloration effect. And cusions will not decrease this reflection very much at all. You need to do actual measurements and not just guess at the effects.

From that I fully understand how Earl went into horns! :D But I think that it is a mistake (I am young and foolish so that I can do mistakes by myself! ;)) since you don't get any direct reflections from the back wall and less from the side walls, floor and roof.

BUT I DON'T WANT side wall, floor or roof refelections thats just the point!! I DO GET backwall reflections and plenty of them since the rear of the room is highly reflective. This sets up exactly the situation that I want. No significant early reflections, with lots of delayed reflections coming mostly from the sides and rear. You aren't thinking this through.

graaf said:
why not trying some frequency equalization instead of elevating the speakers?

The equalisation I have on my amplifier do not correct the right frequency.

can You hear any difference with or without those absorbers?
I will make a try and I tell you what I feel. (measuring would be better)

move the stereo triangle back a little and it will shift beyond 8 ms
I cannot, I have a big shelve along the wall right behind the right sofa...

which of them are below 5 ms?
Take the right wall as a mirror, it will give you an image of the right speaker. Then mirror this speaker up and down with the floor and ceiling, these 2 images are below 5ms.

I don't know - diffusing cone means a lot of frequency dependent VER
It feels to me like a slot aperture in a line source...

And, yes the waveguides feels like a mistake.

Regards,
Etienne

gedlee said:
This is an incorrect conclusion from what Toole said. You NEVER get a spaciousness perception from reflections below 20 ms. So you must either get rid of them below about 20 dB or they will have a negative effect.

I don't have the papers at hands, I just have a book with a nice graph... The book is Master Handbook of acoustics (4th edition, page 77, if you have it...). It gives references to:
- Olive and Toole, The Detection of Reflections in Typical Rooms JAES 37 1989 539-553
- Toole, Loudspeakers and rooms for stereophonic sound reproduction AES Int. Conf. 3-6 May 1990

At the end, you say something, the book says something else. You are obviously much more experienced than I am, so does the book writer... I see myself as a student her, I'm trying to learn! Could you give some scientific facts about your sayings, please?

I highly doubt that!
No offense, but why? The absorption coefficients of a sofa are around 0,3 between 125Hz and 4kHz...

And cushions will not decrease this reflection very much at all. You need to do actual measurements and not just guess at the effects.
Cushions will certainly be better than the window, even if they don't do that much. :D I more than agree about the measurement part. I actually purchased a microphone and hope that I will get it running in a near future...

Originally posted by Etienne88
But I think that it is a mistake since you don't get any direct reflections from the back wall and less from the side walls, floor and roof.
My mistake here! I wrote back wall meaning front wall... The front wall (the one you look at when listening to music) is well at the back of the speakers! :xeye: :D

Regards,
Etienne

Etienne88 said:

Take the right wall as a mirror, it will give you an image of the right speaker. Then mirror this speaker up and down with the floor and ceiling, these 2 images are below 5ms.

I see - this is because You lifted the speakers
I think that what is needed in Your situation is dedicated equalization - passive RLC or active
but unfortunately it means soldering or buying a professional parametric equalizer which is either very expensive or not of very "audiophile" quality (Behringer)
but I seriously believe that this is better option then lifting the speakers
You can correct the frequency domain but time domain cannot be corrected (at least practically)

Etienne88 said:

And, yes the waveguides feels like a mistake.

well, I respectfully disagree
for me gedlee's approach is a reasonable alternative, especially when one needs full frequency spectrum 20-20k Hz and higher SPL

with our fullrangers we cannot have that I suppose
of course this opens separate discussion on "who needs it?", the SPL targets and how much bass and highs is in our music and so on

anyway, when one needs good "room-speaker interface" and high SPLs and 20-20k Hz then I cannot see, frankly speaking, any alternative to Dr Geddes' designs

too bad that their availability (and market impact) is so limited :(

best,
graaf

graaf said:

well, I respectfully disagree
for me gedlee's approach is a reasonable alternative, especially when one needs full frequency spectrum 20-20k Hz and higher SPL
anyway, when one needs good "room-speaker interface" and high SPLs and 20-20k Hz then I cannot see, frankly speaking, any alternative to Dr Geddes' designs

But you see, the high SPL capability is simply a convenient collateral benefit. If you want a loudspeaker system that is "room compatible" then a waveguide is required no matter what SPL you use. Nothing is less "room compatible" than an omni loudspeaker which sees all of the rooms flaws. The high SPL is just a nice added benefit of getting the directivity right.

About Omni vs controlled directivity, I read that on the web:
When listening to extremely focussing loudspeakers which therefore produces few indirect sound, the listener hears the direct- and indirect sound of the recording in a spot beam from one direction. This is, however, a completely unnatural sound situation
It comes from a paper found on Duevel website. The guy makes argument to sell his product, which is natural! But he makes an interesting point.
I guess that in Earl's case, reflections come from the back making it more "natural" sounding. But still, it is only indirect sounds from the front (from the recording) and the back (from the room) only...

I am not trying to convince anybody with all these arguments, I just want to learn something and opposing ideas seems to be a good way of getting the truth out of it all.

Earl design seems to be a well developed LS with promising possibilities, I don't doubt about it. I just never add the chance to listen to it. Then I would like to believe that it is not the only way to achieve good sounding LS. The future might prove me wrong. Or not...

Regards,
Etienne

gedlee said:

If you want a loudspeaker system that is "room compatible" then a waveguide is required no matter what SPL you use. Nothing is less "room compatible" than an omni loudspeaker

well, once again let me
ask about this specific omni setup that I have proposed
I am quite certain that no measuments of impulse response of such a setup were ever made, because I sort of just invented this setup myself
And I believe that this setup is very different from a typical "omni speaker in a small room"

You told me to "consider ALL rays in ALL directions impinging on ALL surfaces" because it seemed to You that I was "ignoring a few key ones"

I think that I explained above that I have not ignored them.
In a room slightly bigger than mine all early reflections from every direction can be delayed by 10 ms or even more.
Or am I wrong?
I just did simple calculations :confused:

Of course there are those VER <1 ms off the adjacent wall. They can easily be absorbed, they are already low pass filtered in case of directional speaker like my Fostex

But let me say and ask again:
these reflections are very specific
(...)
are You sure that they are audible and detrimental to the sound?
I understand that in the light of Your research we can say that they probably can be detrimental to the sound but the real question is - are they?

best,
graaf

graaf said:
I think that I explained above that I have not ignored them.
In a room slightly bigger than mine all early reflections from every direction can be delayed by 10 ms or even more.
Or am I wrong?

The burdon of proof is on you, not me, you have not shown me where what you say is true.

Of course there are those VER <1 ms off the adjacent wall. They can easily be absorbed, they are already low pass filtered in case of directional speaker like my Fostex

These are still a problem!! and you can't absorb all of it no matter what you try and do.

I'm just trying to tell you what I have found. You can accept it or not.

gedlee said:

The burdon of proof is on you, not me, you have not shown me where what you say is true.

burden of proof? :confused:
but these are simple calculations. Anyone can do them.
Shall I really do them for You? :confused:
they are simply obvious, I can't imagine how can anyone put those simple calculations into question?
it is beyond me
they are like "2+2=4"
shall I also prove that? :confused:

Originally posted by gedlee
These are still a problem!! and you can't absorb all of it no matter what you try and do.

but do I have to have it all absorbed? reducing their level by 10 dB wouldn't suffice?
after all in case of Your CD speaker there still are reflections, they are only reduced in level
I can do the same in case of those VER's in my case
There are very effective acoustic materials with 90% absorption >500 Hz
why not?

Originally posted by gedlee
I'm just trying to tell you what I have found. You can accept it or not.

well, but what exactly have You found?

in another thread I asked:
Can it be that in my particular case VER are effetively masked?
Taking into account:
- unusual loudspeakers with no diffraction and crossover-related group delay problems (although the driver itself certainly has group delay problems on frequency extremes)
- verticality of the VER
- the beaming of the driver affecting spectral content of the VER (which are obviously "low passed")
- very short time of delay <1 ms

You answered then:
(...)
The basic answer is that we just don't know. The experiments that have been down were very simplistic and tend to lead to areas of further research rather than complete answers.

What is know is this. The group delay effect is dominate above about 1 kHz and tails off above about 6 kHz. At low frequencies there is virtually no effect. It is very dependent on the delay time and the level of the effect as well as the level of the playback. So in all likelyhood it is dependent on all those aspects that you asked about.

So what I must conclude from this is that above 1 kHz it would be wise to minimize these VER as much as possible - simply because I don't have enough information to determine tradeoffs.

ok!
in the set up I have proposed those VERs above 1 kHz can be minimized quite effectively
first of all they are minimized because of the directivity of the loudspeakers themselves - my loudspeakers are about -8<10 dB at 1 kHz at 75-90 degrees (the angle of reflection)
most of it can be easily absorbed, no problem with effective absorption of fequencies above 1 kHz

so why are You telling me "it is a disaster" "it cannot work" and so on?
I don't understand :confused:

best,
graaf

then You answered:

but this is subjective without strong objective support except for the simple experiments that have been done.
(...)
From what you described there would likely be very few VERs above 1 kHz. in that setup. Thats about all I can say.

in fact the above statement encouraged me to start this thread

and now You are saying "a disaster" about the same setup?
because this is the same setup

best,
graaf