The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers

I am not sure what You mean by a meaningful way but I have a CFS here in my home and so has el'Ol and we have tried some options and some placements in room
I have also tried SLS (stereolith-like-setup) and I built three different versions of that stereolith thing

And You cannot read about it in Wittek, Toole or anywhere else

The only technical article I know that mentions SLS is Manger diskus patent description. I don't know any technical articles that mention CFS.

but I just have built it and it works

best,
graaf

Have you gained any knowledge from your tests other than you like "it" better? We already know that reflections change the spatial perception but know nothing more meaningful beyond that. I think I already said this some thousand posts ago...

The time writing spectulative posts without gaining any knowledge is much better invested reading stuff like Witteks thesis or Toole's http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurComp...p/Documents/Scientific Publications/13686.pdf. If you really want to learn something, it doesn't get any easier than this.

Toole's paper is a nice read. I think I will buy his book.

But I will become speculative again, nevertheless:
What Toole says about the credibitiy of the image, reflections with same spectrum are not recognised as individual sources, nobody doubts this is true with one source. But in stereo reproduction in the same time it has to be incredible that the speakers are the sources.
Do your speakers disappear when one is playing mono?
I speculate that the following could be the cause for the "reach out and touch effect": The focus of a stereo phantom source is sharper than the image a single speaker is producing alone.

Now it's about what text you like more?? Virginia Ann Best speaks about natural sound sources.

yes, exactly, I think that we have to take inti account the way the hearing works with natural sound sources if we want to know how the audible illusions work

We are talking about phantom sound sources in multichannel sound reproduction.

?
who exactly is talking about multichannel in this thread?

best,
graaf

Do your speakers disappear when one is playing mono?

yes, single flooder disappears

I speculate that the following could be the cause for the "reach out and touch effect": The focus of a stereo phantom source is sharper than the image a single speaker is producing alone.

probably
BTW I posted similar thoughts somewhere earlier in this thread (or stereolith thread?)

we never ever hear the frequency content of the direct sound as such
it is completely irrelevant as such
in terms of frequency content we hear a sum of direct sound and all reflections
therefore indirect sound can in a sense correct not-flat [direct] FR

According to the Toole paper this is only true for sounds within a certain time window (fusion zone). So the truth is somewhere between your statement and Markus' suggestion to isolate just the direct sound by gating.

If you now could explain why, then this would be "substantial" knowledge.

knowledge is not only explanations but also observations and experiments

who knows how stereo phantom imaging works? Dr Wittek?

there are only observations, experiments and hypotheses

can You explain the influence of particular reflections in a room?

o yes, You can't

Do we know how to quantify these properties?
Yes.
Do we know how to qualify them?
No.

so where is the knowledge? When all You can is to quantify?

By the way, it's pretty obvious why the sound is not coming from the floor. Kill the ceiling reflection with an open cell absorber and listen again.

first of all - why should I kill it?

and yes - pretty obvious - yet You didn't know and You wrote:

If you like the sound coming from the floor...

According to the Toole paper this is only true for sounds within a certain time window (fusion zone).

psychoacoustics is one thing and other is physics of musical instruments,
we should take into account all relevant time windows:

In the first 50 to 100 milliseconds of an instrumental sound, its spectrum is very unstable. This is due to inertia, the law of motion that states that things at rest tend to stay at rest unless acted upon by an external force. For example, the air column inside a saxophone has a certain amount of inertial resistance that must be overcome before it will vibrate properly. During the first 50 milliseconds of a note, that inertial battle produces wild spectral fluctuations called the initial transient . Pitch goes haywire, chaos ensues, and then you hear "saxophone."

simply there is no defined frequency content during the first 50 to 100 ms of a musical sound

50 to 100 ms

so much for the relevance of "direct sound" of a loudspeaker and of its frequency reponse as such

best,
graaf

Last edited:
If that is Key's view then he is under a misconception of what stereo is.
I am sorry but it is you who has a misconception of what stereophony is. The first public stereo performance used more than 2 speakers. Stereo is limited to 2 transmission channels but it has never been limited to 2 playback channels. There is no standard for "Stereo" yet. There never has been a concrete standard for stereo as far as I know. That is what we are trying to find here right? Then we must explore all of the options and not let the tail wag the dog.

Your statement does not make any sense to me so would you be so kind to explain?

Okay I drew out some subjective impressions of Stereophony on paper a while back and redid them on the computer to make them more clear.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I was being sort of nice with that picture and trying to encompass all different flavors of speakers. But with a poor speaker generally the imaging will be limited to in between the triangles. Even with a great speaker conventional mastering and mixing tends to limit the imaging within that triangle even though it can be stretched out to 180 degrees of coverage. There are products that make use of this illusion and get there in different ways. The depth coverage is not limited to the colored area but that is the area where I perceive things as being "full bandwidth". Anything pushed back in depth further than that area generally will not sound like a pop record (where the overall instruments end up in a balance resembling pink noise) but will have less high end and not as an extreme bass. Localization in front of the speakers themselves is very rare but can happen. And I pretty much only limited my examples to the ones that actually work the best - equal spacing. My anecdotal findings are consistent with Wendy Carlos in regards to speaker placement and hollow spots in the coverage.
Wendy Carlos Surround1

I can live very well with my "errors". Recently when a friend listened to my system she said this is "more than stereo".

yeah, more or less, with conventional front firing multi-way speakers

not so with the flooder (ie. single driver or coaxial CFS) - no such "errors"

More than one way to end up at the same location. And yeah I wasn't exactly directing it at non conventional speakers where the image is already extended. And this is one of the reasons I was telling him maybe the studios should have kept the flooders.

Last edited: