The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers

Has your last post anything to do with Carlson and my comment that his designs are not unorthodox??

orthodox-unorthodox - lexical question, perhaps I shoud have used another description eg. unconventional :)

but as I can see it in substance we agree, because You wrote:
Did you read the Carlson paper? It exactly describes the same principles that led to flush mounting or constant (high) directivity concepts.

In answer I ask You about my first post because I have said there that:

I came to believe that what Dr Geddes writes on the topic of room reflections is in the end of the day the same thing that Carlsson (...) have written on the subject. And that in their designs they wanted to achieve the same end - to eliminate the detrimental effect of room reflections.

in this sense they are both fundamentally orthodox :)

I answered this now a couple of times. How often do you want me to repeat it?

well, repeat what?

that "we still try", that "We just don't know yet" or that:

In the light of facts only one approach is reasonable: make the sound field in the listening space similar to the sound field of the original

?

All I would like You to do is to decide on Your position - is it "we just don't know yet" or is it "In the light of facts only one approach is reasonable"?

well, repeat what?

that "we still try", that "We just don't know yet" or that:

?

All I would like You to do is to decide on Your position - is it "we just don't know yet" or is it "In the light of facts only one approach is reasonable"?

It seems he's expressing the same idea just from 2 different angles. At least that what my take is on what he's saying.

Dan

edit: sorry, Markus got his post in first.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Right now Im listening to 3way dipole "setup"
Actually, drivers are just placed on the floor, on their magnets

Its kind of omni, I would say
Should I do another "omni", it would most likely look very much like Carlson
Mind you, not the old vintage, but the later mr Carlson(Sweede)

Which means ALL drivers placed close to floor, but slightly angled

Funny thing is that despite the drivers are positioned close to the floor, soundstage seems quite normal in height

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I expected that too, but it sounds perfectly normal
Quite surpricing, yes
Very precise and correct actually

Apart from the drivers jumping when I play loud, and loose items moving

Yes, I have to conclude theres potential in placing drivers close to the floor, if done correctly

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Like when you "see" the musicians placed at same height as you when you sit listening

Whether thats correct is debateable, but its the only option we can perceive as acceptable
Maybe ideally slightly above

Ofcourse there also need to be some effects coming from other than an exact point, to give some sense of "room"
I suppose thats what you call ambience

But to me, the source of sound, meaning the musician, should always be placed accurately, and pin pointed
And I mean ALL musicians in a band

All this ofcourse also relates to distance from speakers
Im sitting about 3 meters away
A bit more would be better, but then I would need speakers to be wider apart also
I prefer distance between speakers to be equal to listening distance

Right now I'm experiencing my first satisfying stereo experience in my residence--which I've been doing most of the day. I've searched long and hard for such a beast and found it by copying some ideas from Dr. Geddes. I put together some drivers that would achieve something like constant directivity from 1kHz to 20kHz (I couldn't reasonably build better)and aimed them to cross in front of me by about a meter so that the lateral reflection would hit my opposite ear judging by and of incidence equals the angle of reflection. Maybe the real reason this works is because the the smoothest part of the tweeters response is on axis with the ear now. :confused: There is something to his madness and sensibility for his confidence in the approach. Now I'm thinking he might not be crazy with his approach to bass.:eek::confused:

Has anyone heard a similar system done with an OB woofer?

Dan

The more I think about it, the less I like the idea of an OB woofer unless it's used for mastering. Above 300Hz or so, we hear through the room. This system is as close to ideal as I've ever heard. Resistance is futile.

Laughing like a maniac drunk off cheap Scotch (Lismore NAS),

Dan

Last edited:
There's nothing to decide. These two topics are not mutually exclusive.

quite the contrary

because You admit it Yourself that "we don't know yet" how "sound field" translates into "audible":

Since Blauert introduced the term "auditory event", science tries to understand how our perception of sound relates to the physical properties of sound fields - we still try.

so how can You at the same time insist that:

In the light of facts only one approach is reasonable: make the sound field...
and so on

what facts? Do we know those facts or are is it just guessing or hit-and-miss because "we don't know yet"

You cannot maintain at the same time that:
1) we don't know - I understand "know facts" because what else can we possibly know?
and
2) that only one approach is reasonable in the light of facts - I understand "known facts" because what can we possibly do in the light of "unknown facts"? ;)

therefore I ask You to decide

I put together some drivers that would achieve something like constant directivity from 1kHz to 20kHz (I couldn't reasonably build better)and aimed them to cross in front of me by about a meter so that the lateral reflection would hit my opposite ear judging by and of incidence equals the angle of reflection.

what You describe is actually rather an old idea (advocated for years by eg. Ted Jordan*) than Dr Geddes' approach, which is much more sophisticated and the requirements of which are much more demanding

*Carlsson approach also incorporates (i.a.) this idea of crossing well before the listener and of opposite reflection

Laughing like a maniac drunk on cheap Scotch,

Lucky You! :D

Last edited:
Like when you "see" the musicians placed at same height as you when you sit listening

You've got patience! :D
Explaining what is (should be) obvious for every audiophile...

Whether thats correct is debateable, but its the only option we can perceive as acceptable

yes, You are right, it is not necessarily correct but it is at least something achievable and expected, especially in a conventional stereo setup where the perception of height is restricted (perhaps I should rather say "ruined") by dominant floor reflection

What happens to the perception of height when You stand up? Do the phantom sources stay where thhey were ie. "lower" or do they somewhat "stand up" with You?
I experience the latter - just like in case of line sources - the level -/0/+ of the soundstage is always at the ear-height regardless where the ear is

but perhaps the crucial factor in this is that I am more than 4 metres away from the speakers that additionally are directional at the highs - and the nearer and the less directional the speakers the less of this effect I would expect because of the unmasking of the speakers' real position in the room

But to me, the source of sound, meaning the musician, should always be placed accurately, and pin pointed

Are You trying to tell Markus that You have pin-pointed phantom sources from an omni laying on the floor? How dare You?!! ;)

Last edited:
The more prominent transients a sound has the better it can be localized. That's the same with speakers as with reality. There were experiments where after the initial trasient the following purely periodic part was shifted and the perceived localization stayed the same.

After putting these parts together and listening to CDs and DVDs it seems to me that more DVDs are probably mastered on speakers like these and music CDs are probably not. I don't really know how true that is, but every DVD I've played on these has sounded perfect where avery CD has required a bit of EQ. Most CDs sound a bit bright. Maybe things will change as I get to play more, but I'm 8 CDs and 2 DVDs into it. I'd try more DVDs, but I'm having too much fun listening. Give me a few daze. :D Standardization sure seems like a great idea. Break the circle of confusion!

Dan

what facts?

We don't know enough about our hearing in order to objectively define optimal sound reproduction. On the other hand we have fully operational sound reproduction techniques.

So looking at the room and the speaker is a step forward but looking at recording, mixing, loudspeaker and the room makes up the whole picture.
That's probably why Bob does not agree with the soundstage of speakers with low directivity. Did you already ask him about his post at Gearslutz?

it was in this older thread where it became obvious to me that the title question was incomplete, and that led me to starting this thread

because the real practical question is "objectives of loudspeaker in a given placement in a given, typical (=acoustically untreated) listening room"

Timeframes in that range seem to form an "acoustical context" in
perception. If early reflections are present in that context, the image
of original sounds is blurred from

distortion to
coloration to
change in the perception of the "sound event space" (Schallerignisraum)

in order of the time delay of the reflections.

in order only of the time delay? what about intensity, angle and spectral content of reflections?

The VER Range <5ms is related to the design of the
loudspeakers structure (enclosure) itself:

yes, mainly, but not exclusively - floor, ceiling reflection are typically also within the range of <5 ms, and very often front and sidewall reflections also - unless the loudspeakers are not moved well into the room away from the walls - which is the case in most rooms which are typically living rooms or second/third bedrooms (guest bedrooms) and as such are not dedicated to music listening exclusively

There are only 2 possibilities to keep reflections out of the
10 ms range:
1. Directivity (as constant as possible) of the speaker or

(...)

Strategy 1 leads to a speaker which is less room dependent.
A less room dependent speaker is the better speaker, especially
if a minimum distance cannot be kept.

can we say that my proposition from the first post falls into this category?

When comparing the concert hall sound field with that of the small home
listening room we have a major problem:

We want an image of the (high quality) sound field of the concert hall
(or virtual sound event space) to be placed in the acoustical small room.

If the job where the other way round, the task would be much easier ...

I am not sure if this is principal problem. And Moulton says something completely to the contrary:

DRM: Yup. And for me the final proof is in the pudding. I have very wide dispersion speakers in a very wet, large room. Intuitively, you'd say that has to be the worst possible setup.

Yet a mastering engineer, Bob Ludwig, said it was fabulous when he came to listen. I've had similar experiences as well. One major loudspeaker designer had to check that the center speaker was off, because in 2-channel stereo the imaging was so good that he couldn't believe he was hearing a phantom.

NB: Is there any reason that wouldn't hold as true in smaller rooms?

DRM: No, it should get better in small rooms.
from: Moulton Laboratories :: Nick Batzdorf Interviews David Moulton

best regards,
graaf

Last edited: