The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers

Accurate, as in your subjective opinion does not matter. Measurements trump opinions.

I have heard this dogma oh so often. But in the end, nothing but accuracy has ever been shown to have wide appeal. The rest is just "It sounds good to me so it is good." That's fine for you, but I am after something more global and universal. Something which is not just this weeks fad like handbags.

Accuracy is such a misnomer.. you'd have to define what is "accurate" - *VERY* specifically.

And of course measurements, while usually useful, *require* interpretation - which is in fact a subjective process. So no, OPINIONS trump measurements. Measurements only serve as a point of reference for formulating an opinion. ;)

An obvious case in point is the typical "flat response" as a measure of accuracy..

..with what? 1 meter distance with an anechoic condition? Will that necessarily result in flat-freq. response accuracy for any given listener in-room?

The answer is of course a resounding NO.

Don't get me wrong, I like as much objective data as possible - but this hobby (or even profession), has so many variables that it remains an art (..if guided by science).

There is no realistic sound reproduction in stereo, because stereo in itself is highly artificial.

yes, there is no realistic sound reproduction with a conventional stereo

A strictly uniform directivity pattern over the entire audible bandwith is technically impossible - even with dipoles

again - for a conventional front-firing speaker

also - who says that it has to be uniform over the entire audible bandwith and why?

Last edited:
DrDyna

I agree with your two choices, but let's be clear that only one of them is "Hi-Fi". The other one is the listener playing artist and inserting themselves in the reproduction process. One can do that if they want, but let's not be facetious and call it "Hi-Fi".

from the times of H. A. Hartley - who invented the term - the goal of "Hi-Fi" is REALISTIC sound reproduction :cool:

so who is facetious really? :rolleyes:

wrong. As there is no such thing as "truth" in reproduced audio.

there is - the real thing

there's no such thing as "Hi-Fi", either.

there is - it is the sound reproduction as realistic as posssible

Fidelity to what? How?

to the real thing

Talking about fidelity to what was heard on the mastering console is meaningless.

sure but there is another measure available to every music lover - how it (unamplified voices and musical instruments) sounds live

Thus, people should simply forget about a fortunate buzzword which created a very unfortunate myth and start thinking about what matters. That is, enjoying music. ;)

why not rather go back to the original - Hartleyan - meaning of the term?

Audio reproduction is all about illusion.

yes - more or less realistic illusion - and this is exactly where the HiFi matters :)

Accurate, as in your subjective opinion does not matter. Measurements trump opinions.

but measurements are meaningless in themselves

measurements, while usually useful, *require* interpretation - which is in fact a subjective process. So no, OPINIONS trump measurements. Measurements only serve as a point of reference for formulating an opinion. ;)

exactly

Last edited:
If by this you mean that it should add or subtract nothing, then I completely agree. Otherwise, I am not sure what you mean. How does one measure "tolerant".

If you keep your car in the middle of the lane, there is some
tolerance due to environmental influence and also driver's errors.

Without having a speaker presented to a variety of listeners
- and hopefully also under a variety of conditions - it is hard to
tell, whether there is some space to the left or to the right.

I am not believing in a pure evaluation by measurement. Listener's
findings should be correlated with measurements and changes to the
object should be documented by measurement too.

I am also not believing blindly in what single listener's say ...

Furthermore the need for room adaption may arise in certain situations.
A result "as close as possible" will usually not be possible without
room adaption of the reproduction chain.

Placement of speakers and listener may not be sufficient to balance
modal bahaviour of the room/speaker system.

And also the need for room treatment might occur, which usually
conflicts with the use of a listening room as a living room.

A good speaker for the home IMO is one that minimizes these conflicts
and gives reasonable results even if the listeners readiness for room treatment is rather low.

In most cases you can be happy if speakers and listener are placed in a
manner, which is really appropriate to the room's situation.

That is my point of view and there is only little space left for "correctness"
in most cases.

One thing possibly enhancing the listeners readiness for carefull placement
- even after the "speaker guy" left the room - and room treatment is:

Don't sell good speakers too cheap. People have to suffer hard for what
they achieve, otherwise the cannot honor what they get.

A good speaker for the home IMO is one that minimizes these conflicts
and gives reasonable results even if the listeners readiness for room treatment is rather low.

(very) old Hartleyan ideal of "HiFi as a room service like central heating" :)

One thing possibly enhancing the listeners readiness for carefull placement
- even after the "speaker guy" left the room - and room treatment is:

Don't sell good speakers too cheap. People have to suffer hard for what
they achieve, otherwise the cannot honor what they get.

yes! very true :D

from the times of H. A. Hartley - who invented the term - the goal of "Hi-Fi" is REALISTIC sound reproduction :cool:

so who is facetious really? :rolleyes:

Here again, the word "realistic" is still subjective, at least the way you're using it.

To what part of the recording chain are we trying to be "realistic"? If it's "the performance" then you have the monumental task of designing a system that conveys every possible recording technique / venue / style in your recreation. So let's say you get this flooder idea tuned perfectly, so sitting in your room just envelops you in perfect omnidirectional sound, where you can shut your eyes and be transported to any venue or theater or jazz club and it's perfectly believable.

Then what happens if you put on a recording of something that isn't live / acoustic, but dead and electronic? How do you judge "realism" on electronic music generated by computers or studio "dead" modern recordings?

Here's my argument in a nutshell:

There's a difference between "realistic" for this.
And "realistic" for this.

That's why I prefer to put my effort into being "transparent". I know some people will jump all over this.. "Oh, hurrrrr, you can never really be transparent..." Really all I'm saying is this is what we should be pursuing...don't attack that idea as if I'm claiming to have done it...nobody has...if they had, we wouldn't have a hobby and this website wouldn't exist.

A substantially different thing you can do, is making a speaker having non constant group delay
at larger off axis angles while maintaining flat group delay on axis, at least as a goal
to me formulated. (Things like "CD" are just goals also ... usually they are not implemented
perfectly.)

Some graphs ...

I can see the group delay changes vs angle. However one cannot avoid the question why is this ? I mean the device is not small and the measurement is propably not done in a far field ? Is the delay changing because acoustic center is moving while series of measurements are performed ?

Another question worth considering is how much 'delay' is really needed to decorrelate signals in perceptual sense ?

And maybe above all, how much decorrelation is really needed in the first place ?

Here again, the word "realistic" is still subjective, at least the way you're using it.

why? what's subjective about it?

How do you judge "realism" on electronic music generated by computers or studio "dead" modern recordings?

it is impossible and therefore such recording material is irrelevant for the purpose of assesing the quality of audio equipment

That's why I prefer to put my effort into being "transparent".

You mean like those guys?:

Are You On The Road To... Audio Hell? by Leonard Norwitz and Peter Qvortrup

the "comparison by contrast" method?

That's why I prefer to put my effort into being "transparent". I know some people will jump all over this.. "Oh, hurrrrr, you can never really be transparent..." Really all I'm saying is this is what we should be pursuing...don't attack that idea as if I'm claiming to have done it...nobody has...if they had, we wouldn't have a hobby and this website wouldn't exist.
One can get transparency in the sense you're describing if the whole reproduction chain is sufficiently low in distortion -- because that situation is hard to achieve there's not much of it around, but it's definitely worth pursuing.

This does mean that then you can put on any sort of music or recording, and it all works, it never jars ...

but measurements are meaningless in themselves

yes, this is I believe the right method for a speaker designer and this is also Dr Toole's method

Aren't these two things completely contradictory? Toole is a strong proponent of measurements! As am I. And we both believe in correlation of those measurements with perception. We have both done a lot of work in that area.

Once one achieves correlation, the measurements trump the individuals subjective opinion because, as well all know, individual judgment is highly variable and unreliable - subject to strong biases.

it is impossible and therefore such recording material is irrelevant for the purpose of assesing the quality of audio equipment

Thanks for conceding the point then.

I aim to be able to enjoy all facets of music, the way they were intended to be enjoyed. The moment you start disqualifying certain types of music or recording techniques due to personal musical bias, or because the mere act of acknowledging that people actually listen to music like that would render your reproduction techniques inferior, you automatically lose.

Perhaps the thread title needs another change.."Optimum speaker placement for enjoying acoustic music." springs to mind.

realism.jpg
From day one every music reproduction system has been called "realistic" until the next "more realistic" system came up. "Realistic" isn't only most subjective, it is most relative too. So we best forget about that word altogether. :rolleyes: