The A Brown Soun "hemp" cone -- is it true?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
And that's the trouble! Who's gonna sacrifice 2 of these nice drivers to send out for analysis? Hmm?

I've been hearing this "it's Hemp, not it's not" argument for almost a year. Still no 3rd party testing of the cones in question. Any takers?

BTW, the 4.5s are very nice, I agree.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
How come this cannabis hemp has such strong commercial advertisment value...I even remember seen a leaf from a cannabis plant :D apart from having been a very strong fiber fore making tough rope, in the past
Now knowing it may all along have been a commercial advertisement scam, one wonders if it would at all have any value to sound quality anyway, as it seems to be all in our tricked out mind

'Haven't heard any myself, but strong fibers are not just useful for making rope. They should be for other things, like cones too. To an extent (looks like being a very large extent on current evidence, given the apparant dearth of the stuff, at least in the TT / HT / Harrison cones) this is marketing & playing on reputation, but in practice, were it implemented, it should have some benefits.

BTW -remember guys, Hemp Acoustics have had nothing to do with Hemptone, ToneTubby or the Harrison cones for quite some time now, so they will have to be considered separately. They have their own hempmatrix material, the composition of which is also unknown, although IIRC, there's supposed to be some kevlar in it.

Personally, I hope that the old Bozak cone recipie (for want of a better phrase) is still known to someone, but AFAIK, it looks like it's been lost, which is a shame.

FWIW, Fostex marketing their cones with a picture of a banana is just as false...the domestic banana is only a distant relative of the plant used to make the 'banana fiber (fibre)'. Maybe they should include a disclaimer: "No bananas were sacrificed to make our cones". The fibers (fibres) come from the stem (trunk), and for that matter, no cannabis leaves (or flowers) used either...main stem (trunk) as well...

Marketing bs aside, can anyone confirm any content of the TT/HA drivers?...Kevlar?...correspondence to both manufacturers has produced no confirmable data.

t

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
t-head said:
hemp:
noun 1 (also Indian hemp) the cannabis plant. 2 the fibre of this plant, extracted from the stem and used to make rope, strong fabrics, paper, etc.

Hemp can be used for making literallu thousands & thousands of different products, it is extremely verstatile.

As far as cloth goes, you can make stuff that passes as silk all the way to stuff that would make canvas seen soft & fine. I have some hemp linen shirts that are outstanding.

Because of the pervasive anti-hemp stance of the USA there has been some efforts to expurgate (is that even a word?) hemp's positive role in the history of man.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
t-head said:
, Fostex marketing their cones with a picture of a banana is just as false...

i've never seen any advertising like that ... at least a banana (that we eat) is actually from a plant in the same family as the actual fibre.

If the TT cones indeed use manilla "hemp" the image of a banana in association with them would be closer to the truth.

Marketing bs aside, can anyone confirm any content of the TT/HA drivers?...Kevlar?

At one point on the phone Perry described some of the composition of their cones, it varies from driver-to-driver but does use c. sativa fibres & has kevlar in some of them. I'm not talking to him right now, as i still haven't got my replacement 4.5s (or any compensation) yet after 15 months of patiently waiting.

dave

P-10,

not arguing against the many uses for hemp fiber...just clearing up definitions...'linen' is made from Linum fiber, not hemp...but you are welcome to use the term any way you want, however confusing to others...you seem to assume a monolithic culture here in the US...surely you are not serious...

t

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
t-head said:
...you seem to assume a monolithic culture here in the US...surely you are not serious...

Of course not... i know lots of really nice 'mericans -- matter of fact most of the one's i've met. None of them were in government thou. You know what they say "the definition of a politician" the worst person suited for the job (because that's what it takes to get elected)"

dave

thought I'd add a bit of fresh air to the points...

Many may have noticed I pulled my "Hemp Acoustics (Canada) DIY help," and my "Grant Fidelity in-home demonstrator" lines from my signature at the bottom of my posts.

I have done so because I receive not a few email concerning both. Much of my day is fielding questions concerning these two "signature items ".

I cannot comment on Perry's business practices (they've come under enough scrutiny elsewhere here, elsewhere and in personal conversations with various folks in the industry ---and Dave et al have had little to say to me about any of this, these comments were made from folks I have had no other direct contact with prior to me speaking to them. Dave's comments have been limited to the lack of a reasonable supply of the speakers themselves.).

But as far as I understand the Hemp Acoustics (Canada) "hemp cones" or "hemp matrix " cones do in fact have Hemp fibre used in the manufacture of them. But as many have stated, who can afford to hack up a driver and have it sent to be up in smoke (er I mean ...for a chemical analysis:) ).

And I do agree with Dave concerning what one might call at best "suggestive advertising". If no Cannabis sativa is present in the Tone Tubby drivers, they should stop using that reference completely-whether implied or real. But of course, it is all so entrenched in their PR language it would be impossible to remove without losing face.

Also please note, I have no axe to grind with Omega, or A Brown Sound at all , and have no business or personal stake in Hemp Acoustics (Canada). I have not, nor was I expected to receive any monetary or promotional or material goods or renumeration from Perry in the role of DIY "help". I merely saw that he was floundering and thought I could help.

Dave, need a grower? Hemp apparently can do very well in arid , sunny Southern Alberta, and the moisture stress can help elongate the fibres.

stew

Stew,

Thanks for your input...I had hoped you would chime in, but was unaware you were no longer associated with HA...

Anyway my FR4.5Cs are singing regardless of the fiber content, or origin...

Dave,

Hi, from cloudy Kitsap...not afilliated with the gov'ment...honest.

BTW, all sorts of 'new' fibers being used in clothing here...bamboo, hemp, jute...what is the world coming to???

t

planet10 said:

Of course not... i know lots of really nice 'mericans -- matter of fact most of the one's i've met. None of them were in government thou. You know what they say "the definition of a politician" the worst person suited for the job (because that's what it takes to get elected)"

dave

Huh, Dave...

I guess I forgot to mention that I've served as a King County Water Commissioner as well as the President of the Board of Commissioners for over 16 years. I'm also a board member of the Rural Water Association.:hot:

In my own defense, I was probably elected because of all the issues I've actively opposed, that a swollen, overbearing County Government has seen fit, and attempted, to impose upon our communities.

"Some are born to greatness, others have greatness thrust upon them"
[*and some just try to muddle through the best that they can] :xeye:

*editor's additional commentary

Best Regards,
TerryO

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: thought I'd add a bit of fresh air to the points...

Nanook said:
Dave, need a grower? Hemp apparently can do very well in arid , sunny Southern Alberta, and the moisture stress can help elongate the fibres.

It would be nice if the Canadian govt reduced its restrictions on hemp farming, it is doable but still a bit of a hassle... hemp farming could do a major transform on the southern praries dust bowl... be a major shot in the arm for farmers and the entire economy (to be really voable the 1st level of processing has to occur within ~50 miles of where it is harvested. Oppurtunities for a lot of secondary industry. Lethbridge/Medicine Hat could become a major centre for industrial hemp products.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
TerryO said:
I guess I forgot to mention that I've served as a King County Water Commissioner as well as the President of the Board of Commissioners for over 16 years. I'm also a board member of the Rural Water Association.:hot:

That is more like community then govt. Roots in and able to reach out and touch the people.

When i say givt i should really say big govt.

dave

t-head...

it's not that I am no longer associated with Grant Fidelity or Hemp Acoustics (Canada), but rather Perry's supply issues. Everyone who has heard his drivers have liked them well enough.

So I will still "field" questions, but only if they come to me via Hemp's DIY help redirect, and will continue to do so until I can take some time and talk directly with Perry and decide on what I may do regarding this. If I happen to notice a comment or question that I may have some insight or information regarding Hemp Acoustics (Canada) I will of course provide whatever I can.

Just in case any lump Grant Fidelity and Hemp Acoustics (Canada) together, they are not related, nor have they done any business together that I am aware of. Any negative comments regarding Perry should not be transfered to Ian in any way , shape or form.

Hope that may help clarify an already muddy situation for those that may not be aware of it.

stew

Stew,

No problem, nothing nefarious implied or considered. Glad I got my HAs before much of the stuff hit the fan and when we were all upbeat about the drivers...the supply situation has hit people I am friends with and it is no small matter...

Ian is a great guy and no one I know has connected Perry with him...

Richard (undercover at this moment...shhhh)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.