THAM15 - a compact 15" tapped horn

What do you do with this?

Attachments

• A776BA41-DC5C-4462-A185-46E0F5BB3D85.jpeg
    A776BA41-DC5C-4462-A185-46E0F5BB3D85.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 82
What do you do with this?

You cross it below the peaks so they don't really matter.

I had no idea this sub had a thread here. I've been using six tham15's for many years loaded with Dayton PA380, which at the time of purchase were only $70 each. Tons of low end for little money, used them in clubs/festivals/etc... often times with much headroom to spare. I did eventually give the cabinets away as I kinda got out of the music scene in my area as far as providing gear. I did often wish they went a bit lower, especially since I was mostly hiring for electronic music shows. Some songs a note would be expected and nothing would come out, really hurts the energy of the tune.

I still have the drivers, which are probably 10 years old by now, and I'm looking to toss them into something else. It's kind of hard to argue with the SPL gains of something like a THAM15 over other bins, but I'm looking for more extension.

Reactions: 1 user
The peak at 175hz is probably a resonance between the front and back wall of the cab, the one at 255 i'm not sure about. There were some attempts at taming dips or peaks like that on the early pages of this thread, for example by using angled pieces in the corners.
I disagree that the peaks don't really matter, they are still going to be audible even if you cross at 120hz. My MTH30s have a similar issue and i sucessfully used out-of-band EQ to attenuate the peaks, difference is very audible.

thameq.png

I don't need 27hz extension on PA cabs, it would be impossible for me to load them into the car by myself (or i'd have to compromise on efficiency big time). Flat to 40hz is enough for PA use for me, if i decide to build a THAM style cab it will probably be a bit taller than the THAM15 to gain some horn length/extension.

Make sure that you're storing those PA380s oriented vertically (cones facing forward, not up). My PA310 now seems to suffer from a bit of "cone sag" from the length of time it spent in my POC3 TH.

I'd shared a design for a 40 Hz ODTL for the PA380 here several years ago. Not as loud as a 40 Hz TH (which I also shared here), but it is smaller, and keeps the driver in an orientation that removes the possibility of cone-sag.

The peak at 175hz is probably a resonance between the front and back wall of the cab, the one at 255 i'm not sure about.

The Hornresp sim that shows the peaks isn't aware of the cabinet dimensions. Those resonances are due to the path length and its expansion.

There were some attempts at taming dips or peaks like that on the early pages of this thread, for example by using angled pieces in the corners.
I disagree that the peaks don't really matter, they are still going to be audible even if you cross at 120hz. My MTH30s have a similar issue and i sucessfully used out-of-band EQ to attenuate the peaks, difference is very audible.

Agreed, and using EQ to deal with out of band peaks is IMO the best approach.

40hz might be enough for some, but I work in live and 40hz is not really sub anymore. Most bins we use are tuned lower and have f3's below 30hz.

My thams were crossed at 100 with pretty steep filters most of the time, Xtro speakers were on top. Never heard any issues with resonances.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been playing around with Hornresp trying to model a few mid priced driver candidates (available in Australia) for a THAM15 including a Lorantz AC400X-B9. I wonder if I'm using the software correctly because even the OG B&C 15TBX100 driver looks a bit different to the response graphs on Anders' blog (seems to roll off too soon on mine)? Have I messed something up here?
1699664363793.png
1699665023137.png

Then the loranz driver:
1699664940860.png

Last edited:
mid priced driver candidates (available in Australia) for a THAM15 including a Lorantz AC400X-B9.
I'm interested to learn more if you progress with this - in looking around for options to build a SS15 variant, I've come across this Lorantz driver as a compelling option for the price - it sims well and looks like it should handle use in a tapped horn.
Being a local manufacturer (I'm in Melbourne) is a small bonus too, when I get closer to committing to the build I'll reach out to them to discuss the driver in my specific application and ensure it's appropriate.

Being a local manufacturer (I'm in Melbourne) is a small bonus too
Yes, Dandenong to Melbs should be much cheaper than shipping to Perth but of course interstate is better than from Europe. Getting our hands on the chunky Italian and Spanish drivers is awfully expensive here.

I did have a chat to Michail at Lorantz, who is incredibly helpful and knowledgeable... he's the real deal. To think that drivers of this quality are still made in Victoria kinda blows my mind a bit. We didn't discuss the specific design but he seemed to think it should stand up to horn loading but recommended derating the power handling somwhat.

Last edited: