TH-Micro - a 6,5" tapped horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Error in drawing?

Hi martinsson,

First, thank you for sharing your design, and for your nice blog. Very well done.

I noticed a small error in the th6512 drawing, please, see attached sketch (dimensions in question in blue).

Regards,

Attachments

• dwg_error.pdf
    15.7 KB · Views: 465
Thank you tb46, I like to share my experiments and findings, it's my way of paying back what i learn from others.

Thanks for taking the time to look deeper into my work letting me know of potential faults, this is important and helpful, but regarding the drawing i do not agree, your proposal includes a reduction in area expansion in the throat just before your blue dimensions (the 58,567 value is preceeded by a dimension of 67,595), I think this is what throws you off a bit.

This in turn has to do with your 256.5 dimension wich should be 266.5 at the bottom of the drawing, there is where you lost the 10mm i think.

Or am i missing something ? (it has happened before:)

Last edited:
Maybe this will help to get you started:

Attachments

• Insubnia_v_TH6512_all_small2.jpg
    Insubnia_v_TH6512_all_small2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,132
I decided to build the THAM6, partly as practice for a larger version, but partly in the hope it'd be useful too. I took some photos along the way, in case anyone is curious?

I modified the design slightly.. The internal parts height increased from 180 to 184mm, and width went from 12mm to 15mm. I used a Dayton Audio DC160-8 driver. These were more easily available locally.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wintrmute/albums/72157662462142391

In practice, it seems to work ok -- there's certainly some decent sub-bass coming out of it.

I have build both Tham6 (with access panel) and Volvovtreters folded version both with a TB w6-1139si. Although SPL wise they will not break your house down both of them sounds pretty nice. both seems to go to about 150hz or even 200hz without significant notice of frequency alteration.(to my ears)

The big dip in the sim got me worried somehow but doing 1/3 octave smoothing after REW'n, mic on mouth. I did some EQ on the inuke100dsp after measuring to make them slightly more flat. pure listening wise I prefer the tham6 it goes deeper, sounds 'thicker'. also noticed that the TB runs out of steam sooner with the Volvotreters design. I could pass 16v into it max and the tham6 could go to 18v. Both have 48bw HP filter.

If I have time I post some pics...

my 8" th

merry CHRISTmass to you all and a happy prosperous new year

Attachments

• domestic 8 sub baffle measures.jpg
    domestic 8 sub baffle measures.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 559
  • domestic 8 sub front view.jpg
    domestic 8 sub front view.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 547
  • domestic 8 sub nails plans 2 .jpg
    domestic 8 sub nails plans 2 .jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 554
  • domestic 8 sub side .jpg
    domestic 8 sub side .jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 561
  • domestic 8 sub side names .jpg
    domestic 8 sub side names .jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 538
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.