TH-18 Flat to 35hz! (Xoc1's design)

Powersoft

PM sent
The Powersoft K 20 spec lists 225 volt peak.
That does not seem to jive with the 18,000 watt rating at 4 ohms bridged.

What was the amplifier and test conditions and how did you verify >350v?
Was it an 8 or 4 ohm BC18SW115?
Any SPL reports?

EDIT:

Oh, now I understand, you are talking about the Powersoft IPAL.
It still only does 200V, 8000 watt peak, and has all sorts of tricky stuff to limit excursion.
"The feedback control of this system is based on a differential pressure control sensor. The entire system control is performed by a “Zero Latency DSP” application, specifically designed for this purpose in order to be able to process the system with real time performances.

The Differential Pressure Measurement, senses the difference of pressure between the front and the rear side of the radiating diaphragm due to the acoustic load, and uses this information to alter the behavior of the reference model, therefore according to the real boundary conditions."

Ben Toronto would be interested, it's better than ACE Bass...

At any rate kids, do not attempt to put 360 volts in to a BC18SW115-4 unless you are looking for a light show.

Art

Attachments

• IPAL.png
    IPAL.png
    302.5 KB · Views: 1,010
Last edited:
Hi,
I believe the 225v is the highest setting for the voltage limiters of each channel. IIRC those limiters are not hard as the amp still has more in reserve for dynamics.

I think the whole power paradigm is greatly misunderstood IMO, the really nice/informative thing about powersoft is the real time monitoring of actual power dissipated by the load.

I measured the supply with the meter but I didn't take the time to hook up the outputs to a scope. The DSP allows the display of stuff in real time on the PC.

Hi,
I believe the 225v is the highest setting for the voltage limiters of each channel. IIRC those limiters are not hard as the amp still has more in reserve for dynamics.

I think the whole power paradigm is greatly misunderstood IMO, the really nice/informative thing about powersoft is the real time monitoring of actual power dissipated by the load.

I measured the supply with the meter but I didn't take the time to hook up the outputs to a scope. The DSP allows the display of stuff in real time on the PC.
Dan,

What amp are you writing about now?
The IPAL is mono.
It would help to identify the full model number to avoid confusion, Powersoft makes loads of different amps.

Although the IPAL output voltage is capable of 390 volts it is current limited to 8000 watts. All the Powersoft amps use current limiting.

The current limiting is why the IPAL can work with speakers with RE of only .74 ohms.

The BMS IPAL woofers look like the 18SW and 21SW, but the specs are quite different.

If one had the money to buy the IPAL, a bit more linear output could be squeezed from any speaker.
I imagine the IPAL will result in many poor enclosure designs that can be "saved" ;).

Attachments

• Power.png
    Power.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 947
  • With & Without.png
    With & Without.png
    338.8 KB · Views: 895
Last edited:
Correct...The k20 is 225v and 125A peak per channel (k10 is 200v and 125A) obviously these cannot be sustained on a long term basis but if you bridge the amps with shorter term signals crazy things are possible.

The IPAL module is capable of 390v peak and 240A short term if my memory is working. I might be a bit off on those so don't quote me exactly but regardless it has substantial reserves. The peak ratings appear to be in line with a bridged k10 but I suspect that the long term power output and protection circuits are governed a little more tightly due to the huge current demands of 1 ohm minimum loads.

I have had quite a few woofers go to Valhalla via the K10's when "finding" the limits both from mechanical failure and from melting or burning up.

the K-20 is 225 volts peaks,and pkn controls s phase40 k 256 volts 2 x 20000 watts:cool:
the powersoft ipal module is 390volts but does is at verry low impedance eg <1ohm
edit/oops ,a lot of reply's last hour.
the intresting bit about the ipal amp is the virtual speakermode,it basicly lets you change the driver ts to the desired ts parameters.
martin has a dual 18" ipal horn.

Last edited:
Hi epa,
Wow what a beast, looks like ~500v p-p bridged. Never heard of them before. PKN Controls
The only thing, and it looks like a stopper for those of us in the US, the AC requirements, single phase 230v 63A or 3 phase 3x400v @25A. We have 600A 3 phase here at the shop but good luck finding that elsewhere.

Code:
Parameter	PKN 3PHASE-40K	PKN 3PHASE-20K
Channel number	4 input/ 4 output	2 input/ 2 output
Output Power 8 Ohms	4 x 4000W	2 x 4000W
Output Power 4 Ohms	4 x 7500W	2 x 7500W
Output Power 2.6 Ohms	4 x 10000W	2 x 10000W
Bridged Output Power 8 Ohms	2 x 8000W	1 x 8000W
Bridged Output Power 4 Ohms	2 x 15000W	1 x 15000W
Bridged Output Power 2.6 Ohms	2 x 20000W	1 x 20000W
Peak Output Voltage per Channel	256V (181Vrms)
Peak Output Current per Channel	130A
Power Supply
Dual, Two independent High Frequency Resonant Switching with active Power Factor Correction 
Typical Power Factor
>0.92 above 2000W
AC Power input in Three Phase mode
3x 400V (25A**) no Neutral connection needed
AC Power input in Single Phase mode	230V (63A**)
Operational AC Voltage range in Three Phase mode
3X 208V- 3X480V 45...65Hz Still operational in case of single phase loss
Operational AC Voltage range in Single Phase mode	90V- 275V** 45...65Hz 400Vac proof in single-phase mode
Maximum AC line current draw in Three Phase mode
3X 32A (Separated AC Power limiter for AB and CD Channels)
3 x 16A
Maximum AC line current draw in Single Phase mode	80A	40A

Hi epa,
Wow what a beast, looks like ~500v p-p bridged. Never heard of them before. PKN Controls
The only thing, and it looks like a stopper for those of us in the US, the AC requirements, single phase 230v 63A or 3 phase 3x400v @25A. We have 600A 3 phase here at the shop but good luck finding that elsewhere.

Code:
Parameter	PKN 3PHASE-40K	PKN 3PHASE-20K
Channel number	4 input/ 4 output	2 input/ 2 output
Output Power 8 Ohms	4 x 4000W	2 x 4000W
Output Power 4 Ohms	4 x 7500W	2 x 7500W
Output Power 2.6 Ohms	4 x 10000W	2 x 10000W
Bridged Output Power 8 Ohms	2 x 8000W	1 x 8000W
Bridged Output Power 4 Ohms	2 x 15000W	1 x 15000W
Bridged Output Power 2.6 Ohms	2 x 20000W	1 x 20000W
Peak Output Voltage per Channel	256V (181Vrms)
Peak Output Current per Channel	130A
Power Supply
Dual, Two independent High Frequency Resonant Switching with active Power Factor Correction 
Typical Power Factor
>0.92 above 2000W
AC Power input in Three Phase mode
3x 400V (25A**) no Neutral connection needed
AC Power input in Single Phase mode	230V (63A**)
Operational AC Voltage range in Three Phase mode
3X 208V- 3X480V 45...65Hz Still operational in case of single phase loss
Operational AC Voltage range in Single Phase mode	90V- 275V** 45...65Hz 400Vac proof in single-phase mode
Maximum AC line current draw in Three Phase mode
3X 32A (Separated AC Power limiter for AB and CD Channels)
3 x 16A
Maximum AC line current draw in Single Phase mode	80A	40A

Maybe larger touring shows have their own three phase generators....

Hi NEO Dan,

Post #1248: "...looks like a stopper for those of us in the US, the AC requirements, single phase 230v 63A..."

I think that should be possible with general utility power in home installations. The US home 2-Phase power is really just a 230(240)VAC/60Hz single phase; center-tapped that gives you two 115(120)VAC phases.

Regards,

Hi NEO Dan,

Post #1248: "...looks like a stopper for those of us in the US, the AC requirements, single phase 230v 63A..."

I think that should be possible with general utility power in home installations. The US home 2-Phase power is really just a 230(240)VAC/60Hz single phase; center-tapped that gives you two 115(120)VAC phases.

Regards,
You are correct. I live in a very rural area, the little transformer powering my house provides about 60 amps at 240V single phase.
I use all electric heat, water heater, stove and hot tub.
The transformer does make quite a bit of noise when it is very cold and all the heaters are on and the 6KW hot tub heaters kick in, fortunately it only runs about 40 seconds at a time.
The voltage drops from 240 to about 225 volts (113-115 volts per hot leg) when drawing 60 amps, but that is a continuous (short term) load, audio generally draws only 10% or less average compared to the peak power.

That said, using a Speakerpower SP4000, which puts out 4000 watts at 2 ohms and is 90 % power efficient running off 120 volts will drop the voltage enough to make the lights dim visibly in my shop.
There is only about 40 feet of AWG4 connecting the transformer to the main breaker box, then 100 feet of AWG10 to the shop.

The switching supply amps are more power efficient, but having less capacitor storage per watt than the old "heavy metal" amps actually need a stiffer power source (higher power bigger mains transformers, heavier wire) to deliver the power.

Lighter amp racks, heavier cable trunks....

Art

Last edited:
Construction is done and I picked up a 18TBW100-8. It beat the old subs 80hz and below, especially under 40hz. In my quick tests, a pair of lab12's were parallel on one channel stereo, the 18TBW100 bridged which should receive twice the voltage. My V cone correction is on the baffle so compression is high. I'll run some sweeps when I get REW installed again and hopefully have a mrx528s present at that time.
I can't say enough good things about this. Thanks to Xoc1 and everyone else involved, I'll be making the switch.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

upload foto

Hi Guys,
I took apart the first cabinet I built ,basically cause I messed up the some measurements,They were off enough to matter, so here is what I have replaced the incorrect building,1st Pic
The glue and PL is drying so the box is still open and braces will be added .Both are using a B&C 18PZB100,
The second box I built is the second picture and it starts putting out good bass at 18 hz with a sweep generator to a Inuke 3000 at quarter volume,It keeps getting louder up to about 250hz ,I plan to cross at 130 Hz, This box shakes the Sh T out of everything,walls Belly,Pants,keys,stomach,lol.Wife's dishes,lol.
I don't remember where the drawing came from,I used bigpicture to get the measurements to build it.
Nice build Bubblersound !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope it RATTLES the house,lol.
CHEERS
NS

Attachments

• inside the good speaker.jpg
    inside the good speaker.jpg
    613.9 KB · Views: 1,057
  • Revised cone correction layout3A.jpg
    Revised cone correction layout3A.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 1,047
While I don't want an exact copy of the Danley sub, I do want the best variation of this design however. Is the plan above the "best" so far and if so how does it change the current hornresp input data. I would like to model some B&C 15PZB40's (that I already have) and other drivers that I might upgrade to later. Thanks.