Texas Instruments TAS5261

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
I'm sending out emails to everyone on the list that I can just to verify that they're still interested and that the numbers are correct. Once I get replies from everyone I will post the finalized prices and go ahead with the ordering. If you don't have your email enabled please let me know by posting here.

Also, if anyone would like me to solder on the TPA2001D1 and TAS5261 chips for them I would gladly do so for no extra charge. You'd just have to send me the 5261s (the 2001s will be included in the parts kit) since I can't solder on something that I don't physically have :) I have plenty of experience soldering parts like the TAS5261 and have access to good irons, hot air tools, and liquid flux to do the job properly.

Let the emails commence!

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Ok. I've sent emails to everyone except fr Anthony2181, Bearman, and Marku2006 because their email function is turned off. Please check the wiki for updated pricing and email me to confirm the quantities that you've entered. Muchas gracias señores.

If anyone else is interested speak up now because I'd let to get this project moving along :)

Hi BWRX !!

Sorry, I'm being not much participative on this thread anymore, there's no much time !! ;)

In that Wiki, 50USD is ALL the components to build a board, except TAS5261 right?!

But unfortunally I must buy TAS5261 from Digikey, and pay the horrible costly shipment. :dead:

Could you make the parts list of the project, then I can buy all the transistors / resistors etc from digikey ? Then I buy from you a board with the toroid cores and wire to the inductos.

I'll pay BIG taxes here for anything that is more than 50usd, so if I buy more than 50usd from you, you should put 50usd or less of package value :D

I'm waiting your feedback !

Kind Regards

Now I've seen this:

Parts for 20 boards from Digikey would come close to $1000 :eek:

So why don't you include the TAS5261 on the Parts Kit ? It's more 8,75usd, then you can sell the parts kit for 60usd or little more.

But if I buy your parts kit, I'll have to buy separately the TAS5261 from digikey and pay two shipments instead one.

In this BOM.xls, there's many components in large quantities, but how many of each component will need for one board?

Here in Brazil I use to buy everything from farnell, they are here too and delivers everything quickly and shipment cost pennies. Then I can buy all the things like smd resistors, transistors, regulators etc, and buy TAS5261 and TPA2001D1 from digikey, and obviously the inductors and the boards from you.

Will the board come with schematic ?

Waiting feedback !

;)

Brian,

I'm still interested in this project. What worries me is that I ordered TAS5261 samples from TI and there is no information whether they are going to deliver the samples or not. If not, I'd have to buy the chips. Is it possible that TAS5261 are included in the package for me?
One more request; if the board contains other SMD components (I assume that it does), could you please not solder any components? For me it will be easier to solder all SMD compomentes together (because I use soldering oven).
I will turn on my e-mail in my profile.

Marek

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
I've been scouring data sheets and have found what appear to be good alternatives to some of the larger electrolytic caps. Attached is the full, updated bill of materials for my evaluation board (EVB). It includes part designators, a detailed description of the part, the package footprint, digikey part number, and quantity needed for ONE board.

The lines next to each other in bold indicate different parts that will work with the board. The recent changes that allowed me t reduce the price was the change from large electrolytic Panasonic FC caps to United Chemicon KZE caps with the same rating. The United Chemicon KZE caps have even lower ESR ratings than the FCs and are cheaper, so I figured we could give them a try. I also included the information for 1000uF and 1500uF caps although the kits will include 1500uF KZEs.

I've also added some standoffs and screws to the BOM since we'll need some way of mounting these boards :)

Ordering the TAS5261 chips from digikey - currently they are on backorder, and it says they will be available around Nov. 11. I will wait and see if they get them in and in what quantity. If they aren't all bought out (it's possible but not likely) then I can definitely offer the kits with the TAS5261 chip as well, but the cost per kit will go up $10. The reason they aren't currently offered with the chip is because you could only get the as samples up till now! I'll keep you guys updated on that.

I'll address some of the more specific questions and emails around lunch if I get a chance. Otherwise expect a response later tonight.

Attachments

• tas5261evb full bom.pdf
    27.4 KB · Views: 443
Hi !!

BWRX, unfortunatelly I can't get samples from TI, since they aren't shipping to brazil.

So I'll have to buy it from digikey, but as you said, they're on back order. So, for a while, there's no way to have these chips in hands.

So I'll buy the kit from you when you offer the TAS5261 together with the parts kit. ;) Then I'll pay only one shipment.

But I'm anxious to build your kit soon !!

Kind Regards

" ... I've been scouring data sheets and have found what appear to be good alternatives to some of the larger electrolytic caps. ..."

Best way without making circuit board real estate too excessive: just "snub" 'em.

Parallel the needed electrolytic with a lesser value poly "audio quality" cap. These can be in a ratio of anywhere from 20 to 1 to 1000 to 1. Ex: The main, fat 1000 uF electros could have a 1.0 uF poly / audio quality cap in parallel = snubbing down the master PS filter(s). This "sweetens" the leading edge of any "noise" that be might get through, the larger the Poly value, the "sweeter" to the point of almost complete elimination of any noise getting passed through the caps. The poly "audio quality" caps generally are much faster responding to rapid changes than the fat electrolytics ... the "sweetening" effects of the audio quality caps responding faster to the more dramatic changes in power requirements (mostly voltage changes) that may be passed through to the output stages in the form of temporary reduction in the dynamics of the fat electrolytics. == It does work as many of the folks building tube amps will testify.

:smash:

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
-_nando-_ said:
unfortunatelly I can't get samples from TI, since they aren't shipping to brazil.

Fernando - Solve will be sending me 4 TAS5261 chips but will only be ordering 2 boards so he has kindly suggested that the 2 extra chips be donated to you :) If that changes your mind about ordering anything please send me an email with whatever quantities you'd like.

FastEddy said:
Best way without making circuit board real estate too excessive: just "snub" 'em.

There are 4 caps on each power rail - 2 large 1500uF electrolytic, 1 small 100uF electrolytic, and 1 0.1uF ceramic right between the power and ground pins of the chip. Poly caps are great for bypassing but they take up 3-4 times as much room as the ceramic bypass caps do. Plus, ceramic SMDs have less parasitic inductance than any through hole cap.

There are also snubbers (RC in series) between power and ground right by the chip pins. This is where surface mount parts give you and advantage. You can have more optimal placement, less parasitics, and they're usually cheaper than through hole parts. If you're not afraid of soldering them, they're definitely the way to go for class d.

Also, I made some little changes to the schematic. Attached is the schematic for the boards that I will be ordering. Designators match the full BOM that I posted above.

Attachments

• tas5261v1schematic.png
    tas5261v1schematic.png
    22 KB · Views: 1,099
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Markus2006 said:
I'm still interested in this project. What worries me is that I ordered TAS5261 samples from TI and there is no information whether they are going to deliver the samples or not. If not, I'd have to buy the chips. Is it possible that TAS5261 are included in the package for me?
One more request; if the board contains other SMD components (I assume that it does), could you please not solder any components? For me it will be easier to solder all SMD compomentes together (because I use soldering oven).

Hi Marek.

I'm waiting to see if digikey will get the TAS5261 in stock by 11/13 before placing the parts order. I'll let you all know if they do. If they don't I will place the order to get things moving.

Don't worry, I won't solder any components on your boards. Please show up photos of how your boards turn out since you'll be using an oven. I'm very jealous you'll be doing it the way it was meant to be made! But be careful because there are parts on both sides of the board.

" ... 2 large 1500uF electrolytic, 1 small 100uF electrolytic, and 1 0.1uF ceramic right between the power and ground pins of the chip. Poly caps are great for bypassing but they take up 3-4 times as much room as the ceramic bypass caps do. ... "

No problem-o = there is plenty of room off-board for those of us desirious of flavoring or sweetening up our power rails with extra plastic caps or whatever. I plan on driving mine from +24 VDC and the supply will have plenty of the goodies that I appreciate ... I'll let you all know about any successes ... or not.

:smash:

Markus2006 said:
Brian,

I will turn on my e-mail in my profile.

Marek

TI emails you soon with delivery information, if they are going to send you samples. Otherwise ....

If you want I can send to you a couple of chips I've in excess.

Ciao

Thomas,

Thanks for the offer. I ordered the samples 7-10 days ago and until now there was no answer from TI. Since I already asked Brian for the chips, I'd like to wait and see whether he can buy them for me from DigiKey. Otherwise, I will aceept your offer. But then I'm not sure how can I pay you for the chips :) .

Thanks again,
Marek

Hi Marek,

These are free samples, of course I'd donate them.

As I've to send my chips to Brian for soldering I will send four pieces. So Brian could send back to you two, togehter with pcb.

If you don't need them any more, Brian could donate them to somebody else who wants to build this amp.

Ciao

Thomas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.