Texas Instruments licenses Pass patent

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Congrats Nelson. :cool:

If you are free to talk about it, was the DRV134 the inspiration for purchasing the license?

darkfenriz said:
... does use very very similar feedback topology as super symmetry...
TI could build stuff based on it and claim that their inspiration is elsewhere, and would win at every court.
Beware, TI are clever, they won't buy something unless they have to or expect profits from such a transaction.
I hope I am wrong here.
kind regards

Similar prior art does not invalidate a patent. Part of the "art" of drafting a patent application is differentiating the invention from similar prior art.

The source of inspiration is irrelevant when looking at patent violations. Even if TI's lawyers thought that the patent could be defeated, by purchasing a license they have said it is not worth the expense of fighting it.

Beware the evil business trying to make money? That's the whole point of business. Nelson still owns the patent, so TI can't destroy super symmetry. Sure, some will rush to buy SuSy chips, but if they don't sound good we'll hear about it here.

Speculation - but perhaps it is just simple

People are speculating about TI's motives for obtaining this IP.

I think it is very simple - the Susy circuit is very easy to use to shift the level of the output. Most of the examples TI use are interfacing the op-amp to an ADC using a reference voltage suited to the ADC. Thus, it is very easy for TI to deliver an amp-ADC pair which is very functional. Now, if the claims of the patent hold true, they also get excellent noise, fully balanced inputs, simple circuit yet very high performance etc etc etc.

I think it is this simple.

Petter

Don't mean to flame anyone, however it is rather humorous to hear all the "experts" try to provide arguments disproving the basis for Nelson's patent.

I haven't seen to many large tech companies like TI license patents unless there is no way around them. With all of TI's resources at their disposal, it was still more cost effective or a necessity to license the patent from Nelson.

I've worked for tech companies here in Silicon Valley for 22 years, and nobody licenses patents that are not fully valid.

As great as Nelson is, he is probably no match for the litigation resources of a TI. Licensing usually includes risk and engineering alternatives analysis before moving forward. We can probably count on the fact that IT needed the license to move forward with their product plans.

Congratulations Nelson! This is a real statement as to the ingenuity and strength of your design.

I'm so very grateful you are willing to share your wisdom and IP with me a lowly hobbyist.

-David

dw8083 said:
Don't mean to flame anyone, however it is rather humorous to hear all the "experts" try to provide arguments disproving the basis for Nelson's patent.

I haven't seen to many large tech companies like TI license patents unless there is no way around them. With all of TI's resources at their disposal, it was still more cost effective or a necessity to license the patent from Nelson.

I've worked for tech companies here in Silicon Valley for 22 years, and nobody licenses patents that are not fully valid.

As great as Nelson is, he is probably no match for the litigation resources of a TI. Licensing usually includes risk and engineering alternatives analysis before moving forward. We can probably count on the fact that IT needed the license to move forward with their product plans.

Congratulations Nelson! This is a real statement as to the ingenuity and strength of your design.

I'm so very grateful you are willing to share your wisdom and IP with me a lowly hobbyist.

-David

Indeed.

This is a good thing for Nelson. Often a patent isn't stronger than the muscle behind it. And TI has the money and lawyers to protect its (co-)property. The fact that TI paid for the use, it obviously believes in it and subsequently believes in fighting for it.

dw8083 said:

the rest of what you said makes sense, but this is comical. it's always a simple calculation: if exposure from _not_ licensing the patent exceeds the cost to license the patent, then most companies will license the patent. part of the exposure comes from the cost of defending against litigation, legitimate or not, and part comes from the risk, and cost, of losing.

my favorite example of the brutality of that math is intel infringing a boat load of digital's patents, then buying the assets for peanuts from compaq, rendering their prior theft moot.

bb

Guys, hasn't the validity of this patent been done to death? Give it a rest, please. There are numerous other threads where this has been flogged to a fare-thee-well with various 'experts' weighing in with their opinions.
Whoop-de-doo...
Item--Nelson was granted a patent by the USPTO
Item--Nelson has commercial product based directly and indirectly on said patent
Item--Nelson has entered into an agreement to license said patent
Trying to play what-if scenarios and arguing about who came first with this or that or the other thing are all moot. The above items are all the facts that are necessary.
I would think that it would be more appropriate and useful to speculate on what circuits might result from this licensing than to go 'round in circles rehashing all the same points that have been raised in other threads.
Haven't you got better ways to spend your time and energy?
Go look up TI patents. Throw them in a bag with Nelson's patent. Shake vigorously. See what ideas might result.
Jeez, you'd think this had turned into a DIY law site. What happened to the audio aspect of things?

Grey

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Congrats to Nelson!

We can speculate on the how and why, and will probably never know all the details.

Fact is Nelson had (still has, that's the beauty of it, well negotiated Nelson!), something that mighty TI was willing to pay for. That's the bottom line, and Nelson deserves our congratulations for that.
Mr Pass not only is a great engineer but also a very smart business and marketing person.

Cheers!

Jan Didden

b-square said:

the rest of what you said makes sense, but this is comical. it's always a simple calculation: if exposure from _not_ licensing the patent exceeds the cost to license the patent, then most companies will license the patent. part of the exposure comes from the cost of defending against litigation, legitimate or not, and part comes from the risk, and cost, of losing.

my favorite example of the brutality of that math is intel infringing a boat load of digital's patents, then buying the assets for peanuts from compaq, rendering their prior theft moot.

bb

Hi b-squared,

I believe I stated in the next sentance that a legal challenge is also factored into the analysis. The fact that Intel had competing patent interests with DEC is par for the course.

Differences of opinion exist as to what is fully valid, and a patent is not fully validated until it is challenged or upheld by licensing.

Intel, HP, SUN, etc are cross-licensing patents all the time with other companies to protect their interestes and extend their usable protfolio.

Look at what recently happened with RIM and the Blackberry email technology. It would have benn cheaper to address the issue up front.

Just my $.02 worth.

-David

Patents are not granted for WHAT you do, but rather, HOW you do it (a simplification)

Amplifier with gain stages coupled for differential error correction
United States Patent 5376899
An amplifier circuit having two identical inverting folded-cascode amplifier stages coupled together through a coupling resistor at the positive terminals of the respective stages. Each stage includes an input gain transistor whose gate forms the negative input terminal of the amplifier stage coupled to receive an input signal through an input resistor, whose source forms the positive input terminal of the amplifier stage, and whose drain is connected to the source of a level-shifting cascode transistor. Both transistors are supplied current from a constant current source also connected to the source of the level-shifting transistor. The drain of the level-shifting transistor forms an output terminal of the amplifier stage. Each stage feeds its amplifier output negatively to the positive input of the other stage, while at the same time feeding its distortion and noise contribution positively, via input gain transistor conduction, to the other stage. Balanced amplified outputs are produced from either balanced or unbalanced inputs, and distortion and noise components are produced in common on both outputs for differential cancellation. Complementary-symmetry and power amplifier versions of the basic single-ended line-level amplifier are also provided.

TI's THS41x0/1 fully differential ICs (and follow on chips) use NP's IP whose claim predates their development.
FWIW

pmkap said:
Patents are not granted for WHAT you do, but rather, HOW you do it (a simplification)

TI's THS41x0/1 fully differential ICs (and follow on chips) use NP's IP whose claim predates their development.
FWIW
so are you saying that TI did implement a supersymetric type topology in a product? It just seems if they did produce a chip amp with susy Those who are into that sort of amp would be using them instead of the old nat semi lmxxxx jobs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.