Test LP group buy

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Print a stick on reticle with a labeler and special characters and put it on the top of the cart. There is a USB microscope with a good solid mount now sold through Elector.

I had been thinking of just tracking the groove like they do when centering a record at the pressing plant (must find that youtube video), but that might have legs. Ideally of course you would have a seperate arm setup just to do this, but that is getting silly :)

Strictly for info, and certainly not wishing to kick the nicely sleeping dog, bizarrely this randomly popped up on one of my news channels.

Man’s YouTube Video of White Noise Hit With Five Copyright Claims

I kept a file when I worked for one boss called ITYS......I told you so.

It's not that there's necessarily any legitimate claim, it's just the potential for total hassle and cost of sorting such things out if such circumstances arise.

Suggest steady as we go, but must take good care of our position and protection with proper diligence and wording before final release. IMHO.

LD

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Locked grooves:
There has been discussion of wanting some locked grooves, for example on the 3150Hz signal. FYI, there are two types. Fall-In, where a normal tracks ends in a lock - like at the end of a side. Stand Alone, that is just a 1.8 sec repeat. Both may be useful.

One handy part of a stand alone lock is that it could tell us the speed of the lathe. If a tone is cut, the number of cycles contained in the lock could be counted and the lathe speed determined. Actually it would be the lathe speed and the DAC clock, but that's what's important anyway.

Strictly for info, and certainly not wishing to kick the nicely sleeping dog, bizarrely this randomly popped up on one of my news channels.

Except it's Youtube's autoIPbot which folks continuously try to circumvent and they continuously tweak, I would rather file this under AI is still the technology of the future.

Has anyone actually thought of calling HIFI News or Mr. Chardas and asking them what they did, I don't think they would charge for an answer?

Locked grooves:

One handy part of a stand alone lock is that it could tell us the speed of the lathe. If a tone is cut, the number of cycles contained in the lock could be counted and the lathe speed determined. Actually it would be the lathe speed and the DAC clock, but that's what's important anyway.

This is preferable, BTW there is a 500 locked groove LP (500 artists each contributing a 1.8 sec song) that does not retail for anymore than the labels regular releases, I bet they don't sell many either.

Some test tracks create a moire pattern in reflected light and on some LP's it is clear the lathe was not perfect.

Various - RRR 500 (Various 500 Lock-Grooves By 500 Artists) (Vinyl, LP) at Discogs

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, I've seen some of those moire patterns, very clever! All you have to do is look at it.
Locked grooves don't cost much, and sometimes you get a few for free. We should use them if we need them.

If we want a unique test LP, we could could it from the inside out. :D

Joined 2008
Paid Member
We don't necessarily have to have such an image as the front cover; it could appear anywhere at any size. But such images are "neat" and appropriate for the project.YouTube

I like the original atom art for the cover front. The groove/stylus photos would be good as illustrations in a printed insert - which would be a good idea to have with info and suggested uses for the tracks.

A greeting.
Several friends in a Facebook group who really like vinyl may also want to buy. At the moment I have planned the purchase of 4 vinyl but I hope it is close to 10. Most of them tell me that they would like very much the disc included a area similar to the space of about 3 or 4 minutes of disc without track. This would also require closing at least the previous track before this space.

I can´t edit the tracks list. I don´t know if it's a good idea and possible. If you consider it interesting, please include it in the list of tracks. It´s for Anti-Skating. I do not know if silent groove, track 26 SideB is the same, but only 30 s.

I refresh track and buy lists.
Please see Tracklist 2 sides on the Google Drive.
Test LP - Google Drive

That is useless for setting antiskating.

With respect, Ray, so many peoiple think a blank section of disc is the way to set anti-skate correctly that you need to give the reason why it's no good - so then they can learn. :)

oneoclock, anti-skating is needed as a result of the friction of the stylus in the groove. There being vastly less friction when the stylus is not in a groove ... a blank area will not deliver a useful result (in terms of setting anti-skate correctly).

Andy

And it would be nice to know what signals and test are useful for anti-skate adjustment.

My turntable dealer uses an oscilloscope and a test record to set the correct anti skate value.
I think he uses a sine wave (don't know which frequency) and when he slides the anti skate lever ( rega turntable) you can see the top or bottom of the wave changing. Most people don't have an oscilloscope so this might be useless.

And it would be nice to know what signals and test are useful for anti-skate adjustment.

While ultimately, if you know how to listen for it, the ear is the best piece of test equipment ... I find the anti-skate tracks on the HFNRR test LP very useful. I believe they're a simple tone (10kHz?) but cut at increasing levels. The middle level is then repeated on the other side:
* at the start
* in the middle, and
* at the end.

For setting anti-skate by ear - see Allen Wright's white paper, here:
http://www.vacuumstate.com/fileupload/GuruSetUp.pdf

Andy