Test an Overhead Projector bulb to see if dead?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am a proud (and previously) happy owners of an EP750 Optoma projector. Last week, while finally mounting it nicely on my wall, the projector suddenly turned off and wouldn't boot back up.

The owners manual was pretty terse when it came to troubleshooting, and what the realy symptoms (i.e. diagnostic lights) were to appear if the bulb stopped working.

As such, i ended up sourcing a brand new $400 bulb, put it in and the same thing happened.

I sorta assumed my old bulb was dead, but also thought I confirmed it by taking a digital multi-meter and checking for continuity between the two leads on the bulp assembly. It shows an open circuit.

My new bulb also shows an open circuit. I my approach in using a multi-meter flawed? Is there another way to test a projector bulb to see if it is the real problem, or something else not related to the bulb?

Thanks in advance.

I don't think you would be able to test a projector bulb that way, most are High Intensity Discharge Arc lamps, I don't think they actually have a complete circuit till the lamp is fired up and the arc between the two electrodes in the lamp is initiated. Otherwise there is just air between the electrodes.

Filament lamps have an actual complete wire that conducts the electricity they can be tested using a multimeter.

Your ballast may be the problem if both bulbs stopped working, I don't know if its safe to do and I doubt it is with conventional multimeter's but you need some way to determine if the ballast is giving enough voltage for the bulb to fire up also take a look at the insides of the projector and see if you can identify any damaged components.
hope this helps

As Always be very careful when working with an uncovered projector, Make sure the power is unplugged and try not to make unnecessary contact with PCB or the components on it.

hope this helps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.