Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

hi all,

has anyone built the bib for the Fostex fe-166es-r yet?

Using GM's excel spreadsheet calculator I get this but am concerned about the biga$$ magnet that it has and if it will actually fit. I know I can juggle the figures but if someone has already done it I see no need for me to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks

Attachments

• 166esr_bib.jpg
    166esr_bib.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 701
Andrewbee said:
hi all,

has anyone built the bib for the Fostex fe-166es-r yet?

Using GM's excel spreadsheet calculator I get this but am concerned about the biga$$ magnet that it has and if it will actually fit. I know I can juggle the figures but if someone has already done it I see no need for me to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks

in case it doesn't fit, you could always build a spacer baffle to increase the distance between the back wall and the magnet

That's the only problem with sticking to the ~ideal conical expansion rate -you'll usually need an additional baffle to get sufficient clearence. You can shift to a different rate -TC's original used a WxD ratio if 1:2.1 for example. How audible the differences between different expansions are is an interesting question. I suspect minor differences won't be that audible, though using Greg's spreadsheet should give the theoretically optimal results.

There has been a 166ES-R BIB (Clarke -you out there?) with considerable success I gather.

I'll get the measurements on my BIB's with 166 ES-R tomorrow, the magnet is free by one cm.

For those who remember my missunderstanding on the clearance of the internal baffle at the bottom, I decided to take the bottom out and grind away that extra cm at the end.

I'm now in the process of oiling them with chinese wood oil and some pigment. I have ordered two black stone slabs to use as a plint for them to stand on.

Internal dims 19 X 30 X 172.5 cm.

Magnet clear 0.5 - 1 cm from internal baffle

Sm 88.33 in/2, a tad more than the recomended 87.75

I used 18mm birch ply.

Poly-glue was only used in the bottom that I had removed, the new piece fitted snugly and the poly-glue filled the minimal gaps.

Now I'm just gonna decide what tint I'll use in the oil.. Stone foundation will be slabs of black diabas so maybe a dark red would be nice? Anyone not coulorblind out there with some recomendations? :)

I can't find any sims for FE164 on Zillas page...
maybe GM or Scott can do them if you ask nicely ;-)

http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib-fostex.asp

They are ready but not listened to yet, deciding what finish to use. My friend got this new power sander machine and we "uhm" grinded away to much of the outer veneer layer so one speaker got a big dark blotch that didn't really show until I put the first layer of oil on them. I will now tint them a bit, or a lot, darker. Live and learn as usual.