Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

Yeah, to keep from audibly mass loading it, I calc a ~13.59" gap for TC's 55"^2 Sm, though for these smaller BIBs, mass loading them is probably a good plan. For sure, a local DIYer's 'little' FE126E? BIB performed much better overall with just a 'by ear' gap of around 1.25" sitting on a desk Vs sitting on the floor [mouth up] hard up against a wall/desk to get a small amount of corner loading.

WRT the crate as platform, it works for me! This was an integral part of the early [ML]TLs I made for many of my peers for back when we all lived in either small bungalows, apartments or dorm rooms. They blended quite well with the 'el cheapo' pine plank/concrete block shelving, wood peach crate album/misc. containers and macrame hangers to isolate our TTs.

GM

Vifa 18-08 BIBs

Here is the BIB I made recently. Sound really good firing up.

In another forum, I saw speakers wrapped in cloth. Thought that burlap would look nice. I'm not to pleased with the trim. Had to use fake oak trim as Home Depot did not have real wood trim in outside corner pieces.

Drivers are Vifa 3 1/2 inch, 18-08.

JH

Attachments

• Vifa BIB.jpg
    Vifa BIB.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 381
  • Vifa BIB Close.jpg
    Vifa BIB Close.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 373
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Here is the BIB I made recently. Sound really good firing up.

In another forum, I saw speakers wrapped in cloth. Thought that burlap would look nice. I'm not to pleased with the trim. Had to use fake oak trim as Home Depot did not have real wood trim in outside corner pieces.

Drivers are Vifa 3 1/2 inch, 18-08.

JH

Can you provide dimensions of your BIB? That is my favorite driver. I just built a FH3 inspired horn with the Vifa and it sounds really good. I like the whole cloth cover idea. Matching with drapes or sofa is one way to get more WAF. :)

Xrk,
Here's the drawings I worked from.

I build a little different from calculator because I like to build with a side down and after the guts are in, finish with the last side on top. The plans from the calculator have the sides tucked between the baffle and the back. I like to tuck the baffle and back between the sides.

Attachments

• BIB for VIFA.jpg
    BIB for VIFA.jpg
    522 KB · Views: 3,702
Last edited:
I've gone even smaller. Computer BIBs made with 1/2" material and
Tang Band W2-1803S (2") as drivers. They sounded really nice for desktop use.

In my naivete', I thought that any speaker I plugged into the calculator would work.
I've only been disappointed once. Great Design!

JH

Last edited:
Almost embarrassed to say that it was a HiWave Harp BMR that did not work as a BIB. I was shooting for the elongated aesthetic in an elongated box. Look was ok, but sound was not.

Still have the two speakers if anyone has ideas.

As far as using the FRS5, plug the specs into the calculator and see what comes out. (GM's post number 5017)

Attachments

• HiWave Speaker.jpg
    HiWave Speaker.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 532
  • HiWave Specs.pdf
    212.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Hmm, plugged the specs into WinISD Pro to see how well they matched up.....

These suggested a ~50 Hz tuning, so plugged these into the calculator except with a 97.42 Hz Fs and it came out like this, so if you want to try again it might be OK once damped.........

GM

Attachments

• HiWave HIBM130H10-8_LP revised specs.gif
    HiWave HIBM130H10-8_LP revised specs.gif
    13.6 KB · Views: 482
  • HiWave HIBM130H10-8_LP T.C. BIB.gif
    HiWave HIBM130H10-8_LP T.C. BIB.gif
    7.1 KB · Views: 437
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hmm, plugged the specs into WinISD Pro to see how well they matched up.....

These suggested a ~50 Hz tuning, so plugged these into the calculator except with a 97.42 Hz Fs and it came out like this, so if you want to try again it might be OK once damped.........

GM

GM,
Which driver are you talking about here? The FRS5? The Fs on that is like 180 Hz...