Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

Doesn't take too long to explain. ;) Sorry, should have done it before. V=chamber volume. R=the length of the horn in which it takes to double its CSA. At=throat area.

No such thing as 'cheating.' Yes, you could do that, though it wouldn't work as well as a box designed specifically for corner loading. The end correction & terminus expansion the corner provides should go a fair way to reducing the negative effects of the compromised mouth CSA most BLHs suffer from.

stroop said:
Hi GM!

Where would you start with something like that?! A compression chamber with a BIB.

Greets!

Looks like Scott has you covered! About all I can add is a little anecdotal info WRT the pre T/S calc of the filter chamber for the avid DIYer in that ~ a decade earlier, Cohen's HI-FI LOUDSPEAKERS AND ENCLOSURES suggested a slightly larger V = 3R*At, but recommended a 2:1 compression ratio (CR), i.e. At = Sd/2.

GM

I decided to just suck it up and build a pair with the pioneer B20s...

Just a little confused on the dimensions, found an old thread with some quotes:

Scottmoose said:
Therein lies the point. If you like them, then you've achieved the principle objective.

You're going to build a pair of B20 BIBs? Nice. Oh yes. To be honest, I can do a better box than the one on the Zilla site, if you can live with the driver being up a bit higher? The driver can take a longer line you see -plenty of excursion and a decently low Fs.

Like this: line 170in, Zdriver 35in, Sl=220in^2

Bit of a monster, and the driver will end up 50in from the floor like it does with the other longer BIBs. I didn't do a full length or sized one before because it's a cheap driver & I figured people might want to keep it small. Daft logic I suppose. This one should squeeze as much as it's possible to get out of the Pioneer. Though the existing one on the zilla site shouldn't exactly be slouches.

GM said:

Greets!

I was looking for something today and re-found a pair of B20s amidst the dust 'bunnies', so ran the numbers for what works for me driver/ceiling height/baffle width wise, arriving at 88" h x 22.5" w x 15.875" d, driver down 48" (all dims i.d.), and since I prefer wider baffles than most, will mount it on the 'side' if I can get some help building them after the thunder-storms pass through. Might even take the woofer versions I have and add them to the internal baffle for a bit of tapped horn boost just for some serious overkill. :whacko:

Gotta live up to my moniker, right? :mischiev:

GM

is the second one really needed? I mean, if it makes a big difference then I will build the larger one, since I don't plan on using a sub, otherwise I would use the dimensions that Scottmoose provided...

Speaking of dimensions, any help please? I know there was a ratio somewhere...Provided the dimensions, I promise I will build them, a DIYer's promise can never be broken...

This is going to be insane...only live once right?

Cheers,
Serg

Greets!

Second one, what? If you mean the second driver in my version, no, most folks won't need the extra excursion capability. If you mean my bigger cab, probably not for the same reason unless you have a reasonably large room ~open to other rooms that reduces room gain to ~ nil and like to listen to pipe organ symphonies and watch action movies with a lot of infrasonic content.

As for the designing the layout, an Excel spreadsheet was posted not all that long ago, but I forgot to save the post #. Anyway, the raw math for it is posted on the BIB site: http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib-howtobuild.asp

GM

Sorry I meant the Enclosure, Scottmoose posted a comment on the "Sl" as 220in^2, while your design that I posted yielded a Sl somewhere in the 300s... was wondering which was better suited for me. Again I will not be using a subwoofer and my rooms are usually open to other rooms...

Also there was a ratio posted somewhere regarding the width and depth of the design, the "ideal" ratio. Do you remember what it was? Thanks!

Scottmoose said:
Try this: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1306879#post1306879 The math is now checked & it works. Not the fanciest looking spreadhseet on the planet, but it's easy to follow & it works.

The asterisk? Multiply.
Perfect! That is exactly what I was looking for, easy to use!

Just sold one of my pieces of equipment, so sending the order for pioneers and matching tweeters very soon, thanks for your help guys! I am a member of many forums, but this community has no comparison.

Cheers!
-Serg

Edit: Godzilla, I believe the second one that says GM V2 on it is the correct one, I used it and it seems to work well :)

Scottmoose said:
Greg has done one too Jeff that IMO would be a great asset to the BIB site. The one I knocked out linked to above has the bugs worked out & is working as it should. I can tweak it slightly for downward venting & sub types if desired.

The one I posted was based on another one found in this thread and Scott's and Greg's comments. It works fine too, and has been corrected and supplemented with several options to enhance my "play", but intellectual property has priority over fancy, so IMO I'll keep "mine" for Internal Use Only.

Gastón

GM said:
So what are you saying Gastón? Should I not have shared my 'intellectual property' so that you and/or others would have had to work out the math on your own before you could even create your 'enhanced' spreadsheet?

Hi Greg !
I have to apologize because I mis-expressed myself in such a way... My intention was only to say that I didn't intend to take ownership of the work and effort of others (the intellectual property owners) with an embellished (fancy) version of a previous work. Proposing it to be put in Jeff's pages would have meant that to me.

With Internal Use Only, I just wanted to express that I wouldn't add confusion to the thread with "my" version of others' work. Just that.

If Jeff wants to put it in his pages, it will be an honor, but again my intention is that nobody thinks it is *my* spreadsheet but another one's one that I got and updated with other people knowledge. I will update it as more people adds to the Body of Knowledge. Or more errors come to light :bawling:

Again, sorry for the confusion. I'll try to use a less hyperbolic language in future posts :)

Gastón

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Let's post links (or attach) all the various worksheets & take the best of each and tart up a pretty & comprehansive one... i haven't had time to incorporate some of the (good) detail out of any of the others into the one i wrote (or the one off Jeff's site that i actually use now).

Excel is quite limiting for fancy stuff but once we have something that defines a spec, maybe some knowledgable Java programmer intersted in BIBs can write a fancy java (or Python) ap that can play on Jeff's site (or that can be downloaded and used locally)

dave

planet10 said:
Let's post links (or attach) all the various worksheets & take the best of each and tart up a pretty & comprehansive one... i haven't had time to incorporate some of the (good) detail out of any of the others into the one i wrote (or the one off Jeff's site that i actually use now).

dave

The only thing this one adds is a wood calculator. It is only in Imperial at this time. Other than that, it is as basic as it gets.

Attachments

• bib calculator..zip
    9.7 KB · Views: 88
Hi Folks,

For anyone interested.

I just drew up a very rough plan for a BIB design with a filter chamber. It would be quite simple to do actually! Slightly more complex than a BIB of course but maintaining same pirincipals and shape.

Just a question...again. If I straightened out Rons A166 keeping the same camber volume and with just one bend, aim the mouth at a ceiling corner like a BIB....Could work nicely...Yes?! That's if Ron wouldn't mind me corrupting his design...

Cheers Stroop