Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

chrisb said:
if you mean the Aikos - yup, and I ever get a chance to try them in my little room they might get past prototype stage. As Dave notes, of 3 or 4 different enclosures we've tried, the best sound yet from a unassisted or "corrected" pair of FE108ESigmas.

Yeah. I quite like the shots of them as-is; that slivery birch is nice. :) Dave mentioned to me that they were doing OK with the Sigmas, which is good to know.

Nice work on the Pioneer BIB's I was going to try those last year but other things got in the way! I have since downsized just about everything so with that in mind could a BIB be made with a FE 103, how would it sound compared to a Zigmahornet cab. How big would they be? I'm a real newbie here so be gentle with the jargun ( big fancy words) I have to replace a broken pair of speakers, whatever I build will be driven with a near mint NAD 3020e. I started out reading this thread last year, can't believe the # of post's, amazing !

Mark

Hi Mark!

http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib-pics.asp

The BIBs that are inverted are the ones with the angled bottoms like TCs BIB at the top of the page. Bruces BIB is not inverted. I believe they both use 4 inch Fostex drivers.

http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib-fostex.asp

Here are the original dimensions for several Fostex BIBs. Scroll down and look for the 103/107. I would build the larger cabinet personally, but it depends on the size you desire. Also, many of the suggested dimensions have changed over the past few months so you might want to check out this link below or wait until someone models the 103 BIB again. Should be a great sounding speaker if you use the dims on the page or newer more optimized dims. Im curious to see how different they will be.

http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib-howtobuild.asp

Godzilla

loninappleton said:

Great photography and a job well done. The setup looks ideal for BIBS.

What interior treatment did you use? And what are the source components?

Hello

I apologize for the late answer, I was out of town.

Damping: not yet. I will wait until the drivers have some 100-150 hours running time, and then I will start putting some damping material following the pattern suggested on Martin J. King's BIB website

Source: LM3886 Gainclone ( Chipamp's kit)

Yamaha CDX-880 CD player

Scottmoose said:
Oh yes! Now that's what I like to see! Beautiful work (and photography)!

Details please -what build material, how did you damp them etc.?

Materials: Mahogany veneered particle board (no veneered MDF here), Poyurethane varnish on sides and back, black poliurethane paint on the front.

regards

airframe said:
Nice work on the Pioneer BIB's I was going to try those last year but other things got in the way! I have since downsized just about everything so with that in mind could a BIB be made with a FE 103, how would it sound compared to a Zigmahornet cab. How big would they be? I'm a real newbie here so be gentle with the jargun ( big fancy words) I have to replace a broken pair of speakers, whatever I build will be driven with a near mint NAD 3020e. I started out reading this thread last year, can't believe the # of post's, amazing !

Mark

According tho GM's math:

FE103
Fs 80
Vas 0.24
Qts 0.35
Line Length 84.153
Folded Height 42.077
Vb 1.292
Sm 53.067
Depth 8.663
Width 6.126
zdriver 18.261
a-b-c 4.332

Pretty close to the original model, just a bit bigger on the terminus.

Scottmoose said:
. . .
Easy T/S based formula & stages GM created.
1) Set line length to 1/2 wavelength of Fs.
2) If a regular BIB, Zdriver = 0.217 line length, if inverted, 0.416 line length.
3) Vb=(20Vas)*(Qt^1.25)
4) Calculate the CSA of Sl by dividing the answer to stage 3 by the cabinet height,
5) Set WxD dimensions to the CSA of Sl using a ratio 1:1.4142

1) I believe it has also been accepted that the tuning frequency can be set a little lower than Fs (up to about 30% lower?)

2) Does anyone know the source of the recommended volume formulae: Vb=(20Vas)*(Qt^1.25)
Would this be a general recommendation for pipes, TL etc. ?

SveinB

It's for this particular type of pipe-horn; it's a T/S based alignment created by GM.

Speaking of which, I've just finished a BIB Excel sheet that calculates all the dimensions required. I'm sending Jeff & GM a copy before posting it in case I've made a mistake somewhere (not impossible by any stretch of the imagination -as I said elsewhere, Scott's are designed for many things, but driving Excel is not one of them). But I imagine once checked, it'll be found lurking on the Zillaspeak site.

I have plugged all of the dims and the new formulas into the old spreadsheet, and for the FE166E, I'm getting a *huge* difference in CSA... and a huge footprint too...

Line Length 134.65
Zdriver 29.22
Vb (liters) 128.26
Sm – Terminus Area (sq. in.) 3291.99 !!!
Depth 68.23 in.
Width 48.25 in.

Perhaps the problem is that the formulas tune the BIB to an octave lower than Fres, and being the FE166 Fres=50 Hz, this comes out as a 25 Hz tuning freq. There is no way the BIB not be huge...

Am I goofing anywhere ????

Gastón

I understand that the general idea is Bigger is Better, but it might be wortwhile to run a sim to see if doubling of the footprint resulting from the T/S based formula is justified.

Regarding the aspect ratio of the mouth, the ratio of 1.4142 might be a nice proportion, but for smaller size BIB's it might not leave enough room behind the driver.

SveinB.

Prettified version. ;)

Thanks Scott and Dave for pointing me the error...

Gastón

EDIT: Just for the record: it's the spreadsheet from Godzilla site, with GM T/S derived formulas, with corrections from Dave and Scoot. All in all, all other people work. The errors, if found, are all of my own :)

Attachments

• bib_166_gm_v2.zip
    65.2 KB · Views: 193
There you go: classic example. No sooner I post the sheet than I find a typo in the Imperial line length calculation. It's now corrected and the sheet uploaded above is the correct one.

I didn't post the pretty one because the pictures I added made it too large. Oh well.

Re the 1.4141 ratio, you either add a baffle or go to something else. That's up to the builder & why an SL area is attached.

Yep, the Vb is justified from the sonics. Better dynamics, freer, more relaxed sound. If you're going to make a pipe-horn, you might as well optimise it. Trust Greg. He knows what he's doing.

Svein_B said:
Regarding the aspect ratio of the mouth, the ratio of 1.4142 might be a nice proportion, but for smaller size BIB's it might not leave enough room behind the driver.[/B]

You can change the Zdriver in that case. It will add some ripple, but that's the compromise between using the design as is, or changing the W/D ratio, that will affect the response in other ways.

Gastón

ghpicard said:

You can change the Zdriver in that case. It will add some ripple, but that's the compromise between using the design as is, or changing the W/D ratio, that will affect the response in other ways.

Gastón

I do not think we shall consider the 1.4 a sacred number. Terry's original started out with around 2:1 (or even larger). A guy called Bruce Edgar was at some time recommending 2:1 as optimum aspect ratio (for midrange horns), and has later found that 1.6 is even better.
Point is - there is some margin of error here which allows for individual adjustments.

Svein B.