Tent Labs XO3 Clock Impessions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Question for Guido Tent:

Guido the original XO that was removed in the Pioneer PD77 had the metal can of body attached to earth.
I noticed that your can is not externaly earthed do you think there's any merit in attaching an earth wire to it, would it help in any way? or are one of the 4 x pins on yours common to the body and earthed through your circuit board already?

Oh, and Guido can you comment on the power supply circuit that I posted a photo of on page 3 in this disscussion a few post back, is it up to your expectations of a good supply for your clock?

Cheers George

Ruach, you wanted some pics.

Cheers george

Attachments

• clock1.gif
    clock1.gif
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,027
georgehifi said:
Question for Guido Tent:

Guido the original XO that was removed in the Pioneer PD77 had the metal can of body attached to earth.
I noticed that your can is not externaly earthed do you think there's any merit in attaching an earth wire to it, would it help in any way? or are one of the 4 x pins on yours common to the body and earthed through your circuit board already?

Oh, and Guido can you comment on the power supply circuit that I posted a photo of on page 3 in this disscussion a few post back, is it up to your expectations of a good supply for your clock?

Cheers George

Hi George

Thanks for the mail

The XO can is grounded by means of pin 4, attached to the body. like you suspected. Soldering to the body is not advised as to avoid detuning of the scrystal by heating it up.

The schematic on page is a decently designed series regulator. I understand it is used to feed the analogue stages so I wouldn't reccomend using it for the XO3 board as some RF still may ripple through.

In stead, you may want to build a copy of such reg, but my experience says a seperate transformer / diode / filter does a most effective job. Those not wanting to buy XO supply, use a nice small 15Vac transformer, 4 pieces diodes like SB150, a 400mH/100mA choke and a 1000uF Black Gate.......

cheers

Thanks Guido, I am using the Pioneer's analog supply now only for your XO3, as I've have disconected from what it powered, the output stage, and the player is now a transport only. I have the negative side unused, and i did see on your XO3 were you have the + power input a negative tab there as well, does this mean you can run the XO3 on + earth - for some reason?
And yes I did meter out the crystal can and found that it was earthed.

Cheers George (Oh a BTW your web site has been down all day)

georgehifi said:
Thanks Guido, I am using the Pioneer's analog supply now only for your XO3, as I've have disconected from what it powered, the output stage, and the player is now a transport only. I have the negative side unused, and i did see on your XO3 were you have the + power input a negative tab there as well, does this mean you can run the XO3 on + earth - for some reason?
And yes I did meter out the crystal can and found that it was earthed.

Cheers George (Oh a BTW your web site has been down all day)

Hi George,

Good, understood. XO3 runs on a single supply, ground and minimum +9V.

Site up an running, problems at provider

cheers

Soldering experience is no problem - I am an electronics technician, but I know nothing about audio (I work for a cable company). I am looking to do this for a buddy who knows a lot about audio - he has helped me pick out my system, but he knows very little about electronics. Looks like he'll be ordering the stuff from you (you do sell to Canada?) once he gets the CD changer he wants. As far as eyes go, we are both blind but have a buddy who can see... just kidding.

Hi Tony,
Hope your clock mod goes well...I'm sort of interested in trying this out myself eventually. Back in July, you were asking about powering the Ack! dAck. Take a look at the following link.

P.S. You should enable your email on this board. The board will alert you if a member wants to contact you but will hide your email if you do not want it revealed. What part of Canada do you live in ?

cheers,
PeAK

Missing XO2

Hello folks out there,
did anyone of you have problems ordering Tentlab Modules?

At Nov.2 I PayPal-ed to Guido but did not receive anything till today.

Last week I mailed him. He answered the unit is on it's way and should arrive during last week.

But Nothing happened!!

Friend of mine in France also ordered and got nothing.

Any Idea?
Charly

I just got my Tent XO3 clock and XO supply yesterday.

Many thanks to georgehifi and Guido for your recommendations and support.

The built of the XO3 is excellent. My qualms are that the marking on the voltage regulator (looks like a ST regulator) and a 14 pin DIP ic chip (looks like a 74HC04) have been partially scraped off. Kind of ruined the "beauty" of the XO3.

For the XO Supply, I think Guido chose a smaller Blackgate (470uF 16V) for me instead of the normal 1000uF 16V that I see in the photos of similars sets. I am not sure if this would affect the performance as a bigger value capacitor would act as a better filter.

I will find the time within the 2 week to fix it up in my cd player and I will let you guys know of the results.

Thanks again to georgehifi and Guido :)

Ruach said:
I just got my Tent XO3 clock and XO supply yesterday.

For the XO Supply, I think Guido chose a smaller Blackgate (470uF 16V) for me instead of the normal 1000uF 16V that I see in the photos of similars sets. I am not sure if this would affect the performance as a bigger value capacitor would act as a better filter.

Thanks again to georgehifi and Guido :)

Yeah I was wondering the same, my last one was also a 470uf BG where all previous ones were 1000uf BG, Guido will probally read this thread and give us a answer to the change, maybe his assemblers have grabed from the wrong parts bin? I do'nt think he does the assembling himself.

BTW Ruach, remember how I raved about how good the Pioneer PD75 became after the XO3/XOSupply instalation, well now I have a Teac VRDS T1 and with the XO3/XOSupply in it, and it absolutly leaves the good old Pioneer in it's wake, so much more detail and faster with more power and rhythm in the bass yet tighter and more defined than the Pioneer but still smooth as silk, the Teac makes the Pioneer sound slow, stoggy and clouded.

Cheers George

georgehifi said:

Yeah I was wondering the same, my last one was also a 470uf BG where all previous ones were 1000uf BG, Guido will probally read this thread and give us a answer to the change, maybe his assemblers have grabed from the wrong parts bin? I do'nt think he does the assembling himself.

Cheers George

dear all,

As most of you know, BG's where hard to get. I therefor had to choose between no BG or 470 uF. I choose the last, current draw is about 30 mA, so ripple isnt't the issue, also because the cap is charged through a swinging choke....

Soundwise I could not hear a difference.

best

Hi georgehifi, good to hear that you are getting good results with your Teac transport.

Have you tried replacing the 74HC** with 74VHC**?

Hi Guido, thanks for your clarification. I will pop by my local diy parts store for the 1000uF Blackgate. The lead space for the 470uF Blackgate doesn't quite fit the solderpads on the PCB.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.