• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tension on chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: US FELLOWS BETTER?

fdegrove said:
Hi,

In the order of mAs , yet when reduced throughout the entire chain by going for the lowest leakage current it brings a worthwhile improvement...and it comes for free.

A fellow,;)

Sorry to keep harping on, but if we're talking of leakage in the order of mA's, there is a safety hazzard.
I say that uA's is reasonable.

Listen To The Polarities.

I have also found that setting AC supply polarity to individual system components can be used to voice a system - setting all polarities to minimum leakage to ground may not be the optimum sonically.
This means if you have 2 components (cdp and amplifier), you have 4 polarity combinations to try.

Eric.

A typical portable CD/Radio Cassette player is totally insulated from ground, but the sound changes according to AC polarity - why ?.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi John,

Sorry to keep harping on, but if we're talking of leakage in the order of mA's, there is a safety hazzard.

These were measurements taken on typical hi-fi gear as bought in shops.

To give an example:

Creek CAS 3040 Tuner fitted with a typical, continental two prong mains cord.

Mains polarity correct measures a leakage current of 10mA.

Reversed it measures 28mA.

All measurements must be done with nothing else connected to the DUT and the mains spur.

On some gear no difference is measured, on other it's quite marked.

But so far I never heard about any safety problems, if it were how would they let this stuff pass CE inspection?
Can you explain?

TIA.

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Are things SO different on the continent?

It is not... especially since I now noticed that the DVM was set to mV not mA....

What was I thinking of??

Was the Creek certified double insulated?

I can only assume it complied to the rules applicable in the late eighties.

And it's not just the Creek and neither is it just me...well in this case it is since I'm in dire need of a set of glasses.

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Any leakage on modern equipment comes from input filters mostly. Assuming of course, their existance...

Incidentally, the Creek does have one that was retrofitted to it.
It also show the highest leakage figure of all my gear.

I also found some more info on the net regarding polarity checkers:

POLARITY CHECKER.

I always did my checking with a DVM since it seems to be just as consistent.

Still...all this doesn't explain Eds' friends' problem.

Cheers,;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hallo Frank and others, I think that the answer in post number 8 did hit a point. I will try to contact my friend to ask him if both the poles do lit up. Next time he will visit me i will let him read all the answers. Now i will continue evaluating Seismic Sink and Black diamond racing cones. Thanks and groetjes, Ed

dhaen said:
Eric,

I think the reason may be deep in the realm of the "non scientific observers" who notice things, but cannot explain them.
I am not belittleing them, just observing that little progress can be made in explaning the observed artifacts.

Cheers,
Huh ?.
There are plenty of scientific types (myself included) who understand that earth leakage current is power feed polarity dependent and that this can affect the audio result.
I have observed portables to sound different according to polarity, but I don't have an explanation for this.
Don't forget that I get to repair plenty of gear, andi have confirmed this effect many times.

Eric.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

There are plenty of scientific types (myself included) who understand that earth leakage current is power feed polarity dependent and that this can affect the audio result.

SNR is affected...no big figures but when you actually have everything hooked up the way it should it does make for an audible benefit.

This is just about the only audio tweak that comes as a free lunch anyway, bar a little effort.

Tuning a system with this trick is possible IME...just against Franks' law of pureism.:devily:

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.