Temporal resolution

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The multitrack tape from witch the mastertape was mixed has added harmonics.
The mastertape from witch the record is cut has added harmonics.
The cutting head is an electrical to mechanical transducer witch adds harmonics.
If your record player uses a mechanical to electrical transducer, it adds harmonics.
There is just now way to avoid these. Just embrace it, its why you like vinyl playback.

I think we just speak different languages. Buy a SL1200 and embrace it then. Good luck!:)

Oh, I see now Vinni, you have Attrezzature Speciali (special equipment) that no others have, that explains everything. Rather like the Emperor's new clothes?
I hope you are not on your boss's dollar? :rolleyes:

Yes. Is this a sin? However don't think I spent a fortune, I am not rich. This is not the argument of this discussion. However I understand that for many people you need qualify yourself to be entitled to speak....
I usually try to avoid this argument as much as possible for obvious reasons. However if you insist or ask I will not cheat.:)

My turntable is not a conventinal one, regardless of the cost....you might consider that I really don't get the garbage many people think? It works on really different concepts from several points of view. To achieve this it has been done resetting the basic assumptions because it was found that otherwise it couldn't get better. It worked brilliantly and it took a long time. When I got it I learnt to do the same and still have to learn a lot (because the full system has to work like that to get the best out of it). Just work in one domain (time) and don't move from it, at least until the end. Have you done it? I don't think so otherwise you would never buy a SL1200 or even dream a Goldmund Reference....
But you could just do it for digital, if you can, and save time and money!

Your turntable works on exactly the same principals of every other turntable ever made.

A phonograph record is not in the time domain, nor is a CD. Both are completely static. They both exist in the information domain. All just particles of periodic interest.

Time domain and frequency domain are two representations of the exact same information. A transformation exists for changing back and forth between the two representations.

Electrons flowing into and out of digital equipment are identical to electrons flowing into and out of phonograph system. In each case they behave according to the transforms that are represented by the physical systems that channel them.

You can record a phonograph record to CD and play the CD back, it will be identical, right down to the noise and all the distortions, and all the associated mind warping fog.

There is good vinyl replacement therapy, get good servo controlled tonearm. It will reduce the rumble, and some of the euphonic vibrations that have been tripping you up. First there will be some withdrawal symptoms from the lowered dosage of euphonia, leading to irritability. Denial about the condition will lead to some displacement behavior, first you will lash out that the servo system is inferior, because obviously isn't delivering the same pleasure as the euphonograph. You've got to be strong and fight through this; it helps to go back and listen to old favorites that became 'B' listening do to wear, even though you would swear that it is just because you've just gotten more interested in some more resents finds that never experienced a digital diddling. Mix in a few of those some records with nice tracks that suffer from poor center hole syndrome; these will stimulate brain with thought diverting attention from euphonia withdrawal with revelation that these records are still actually pretty good. Play a warped record with servo tracking arm and look how well behaved woofers are, yet all the bass. Yeah, don't own a warped record? Pick up something cheap and clean looking, warp it and play it, the entertainment value of seeing record track and play quite well is worth the small expense and time. This will build confidence that servo system won't harm your 'A' listening material. As the euphonic fog continues to clear, you'll find yourself becoming more annoyed with surface pops, cracks, and noise. Don't fight the urge for some more live shows. Don't be shy if they don't have any of their stuff on vinyl, go ahead and buy the CD; or more likely a little money for a digital download. Soon you'll look at old turntable and think, maybe I will save listening to some great stuff on it later.

I don't believe that what you think is garbage, just highly conflicted.

Your turntable works on exactly the same principals of every other turntable ever made.

A phonograph record is not in the time domain, nor is a CD. Both are completely static. They both exist in the information domain. All just particles of periodic interest.

Time domain and frequency domain are two representations of the exact same information. A transformation exists for changing back and forth between the two representations.

Electrons flowing into and out of digital equipment are identical to electrons flowing into and out of phonograph system. In each case they behave according to the transforms that are represented by the physical systems that channel them.

You can record a phonograph record to CD and play the CD back, it will be identical, right down to the noise and all the distortions, and all the associated mind warping fog.

There is good vinyl replacement therapy, get good servo controlled tonearm. It will reduce the rumble, and some of the euphonic vibrations that have been tripping you up. First there will be some withdrawal symptoms from the lowered dosage of euphonia, leading to irritability. Denial about the condition will lead to some displacement behavior, first you will lash out that the servo system is inferior, because obviously isn't delivering the same pleasure as the euphonograph. You've got to be strong and fight through this; it helps to go back and listen to old favorites that became 'B' listening do to wear, even though you would swear that it is just because you've just gotten more interested in some more resents finds that never experienced a digital diddling. Mix in a few of those some records with nice tracks that suffer from poor center hole syndrome; these will stimulate brain with thought diverting attention from euphonia withdrawal with revelation that these records are still actually pretty good. Play a warped record with servo tracking arm and look how well behaved woofers are, yet all the bass. Yeah, don't own a warped record? Pick up something cheap and clean looking, warp it and play it, the entertainment value of seeing record track and play quite well is worth the small expense and time. This will build confidence that servo system won't harm your 'A' listening material. As the euphonic fog continues to clear, you'll find yourself becoming more annoyed with surface pops, cracks, and noise. Don't fight the urge for some more live shows. Don't be shy if they don't have any of their stuff on vinyl, go ahead and buy the CD; or more likely a little money for a digital download. Soon you'll look at old turntable and think, maybe I will save listening to some great stuff on it later.

I don't believe that what you think is garbage, just highly conflicted.

Have you ever thought of writing for Dr. Bronner?

Cleanliness is high fidelity.
From wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fidelity

High fidelity—or hi-fi or hifi—reproduction is a term used by home stereo listeners and home audio enthusiasts (audiophiles) to refer to high-quality reproduction of sound[1] to distinguish it from the poorer quality sound produced by inexpensive audio equipment, or the inferior quality of sound reproduction characteristic of recordings made until the late 1940s. Ideally, high-fidelity equipment has minimal amounts of noise and distortion and an accurate frequency response.

The last sentence is the one where people can think differently. Hence the comment below.
This is really a profound concept! :rofl:

This is like saying red is better than blue. It makes no sense. To prevent these comments use the terms "I like X better"

From wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fidelity

High fidelity—or hi-fi or hifi—reproduction is a term used by home stereo listeners and home audio enthusiasts (audiophiles) to refer to high-quality reproduction of sound[1] to distinguish it from the poorer quality sound produced by inexpensive audio equipment, or the inferior quality of sound reproduction characteristic of recordings made until the late 1940s. Ideally, high-fidelity equipment has minimal amounts of noise and distortion and an accurate frequency response.

The last sentence is the one where people can think differently. Hence the comment below.

This is like saying red is better than blue. It makes no sense. To prevent these comments use the terms "I like X better"

Hifi is not high quality reproduction of sound but best possible quality reproduction of music. The difference is more than that between night and day.

I don't care. The discussion is not about this Since there is plenty of material that is not affected by this.
Spekers corners don't use digital delays. They state it very clearly in their website. They have vintage machinery.

Again.....you are mixing apples with oranges! But you are so sure of your (distorted) conclusion that you could explain HOW you quantify the EMOTIONAL meaning you associate with music in mathematical terms?
I understand that it is pointless discussing with peolpe who cannot or, even worse, don't want to see beyond their nose.
I think this discussion is closed for me.

Probably not exactly the point you were making, I guess, but there has been a lot of research that shows that music CAN be defined in mathematical terms. Mozart is one such composer that researchers have found many mathematical expressions that look to explain his musical prowess. One example : Did Mozart Use the Golden Section? » American Scientist

Yes music has to be interpreted by the mind for meaning, but this doesn't make it some ethereal activity which unable to be defined.

cheers,

Jacob

Probably not exactly the point you were making, I guess, but there has been a lot of research that shows that music CAN be defined in mathematical terms. Mozart is one such composer that researchers have found many mathematical expressions that look to explain his musical prowess. One example : Did Mozart Use the Golden Section? » American Scientist

Yes music has to be interpreted by the mind for meaning, but this doesn't make it some ethereal activity which unable to be defined.

cheers,

Jacob

And it's not just Mozart. For example, there is a lot of stuff like that in jazz as well.
It's not about ethereal activity and there is a difference between interpretation and rigorous definition. In fact every a musician plays Mozart or whatever giving his own interpretation. It's like a language not mathematics. At some point it just becomes going round in circles.

Probably not exactly the point you were making, I guess, but there has been a lot of research that shows that music CAN be defined in mathematical terms.

Don't conflate music production/composition/performance with music reproduction. Irrespective of the source, signals in a reproduction chain are simple one-dimensional functions and subject to basic physics, math, and engineering.

If someone prefers a distorted version of that signal, that's not arguable, it's preference. If someone claims that the distorted version is more accurate and the less distorted version is less accurate, and cites all sorts of pataphysics to justify it even in the face of actual data and demonstration, you're dealing with irrationality and that, likewise, is not arguable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.