Tempest Sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am just posting because I wanted to thank everyone for all of thier posts and helpful information. I recently finished building my Tempest 15 home audio sub and it sounds great. I had trouble picking out a driver and enclosure, but you guys lead me in the right direction. I simply used adire audio's reference disign for a mid Q sealed box, and it sounds amazing. I am no audiophile or anything, but the bass is strong and very tight. I power it with my mackie 1400i, and with 1400 watts rms on hand I am impressed by the SPLs coming out of that thing. I wish it would hit the lower frequencies a lil stronger, but its only a sealed 15, and what it does is more then enough. I was going to use a sonotube, but at 18$ a sheet, 3/4 mdf was perfect. (if only i had a better router!) I recommend this to anyone if they are looking for an easy high quality sub project, for cheap. Once again, thanks everyone!
-ViC

hey, post a link to your finished sub if you can.

i made a tempest sealed sub, probably similar to yours a while back. simple, elegant, and very musical (whatever that means:p )

my q=0.65 theoretical so we're in the same league.
i agree that the spl's in the 10-30 range aren't uber-phenomenal-for HT i suppose some sort of ported alignment might have gotten a bit more low end, but, hey, compared with the average midfi ported solution, we're way, way ahead.

1400 watts, unfortunately, is overkill. i believe that 250-300 watts will max a single tempest in a volume of160 liters or so. (don't get me wrong-but 200 watts bridged seems more than adequate for me!!!)

heh i know its overkill... but i take care not to over drive it. i just have the amp bridged untill i can get myself around to building another one. then ill just run them stereo off the amp. as far as pictures and what not, i have none. the sub is still unfinished. My roommate just put his old lion king sheets over it, and made it into a funny conversation piece. I really dont care what it looks like, and quite frankly im a fan of simba, so i am happy with it for the time being.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.