Tell us about your accidental discoveries

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Like Bach's Brandenburg Concertos?:)
I'm not familiar with Rick Ruskin, but I see his early albums were released by John Fahey's Takoma label. I'm always on the lookout for good fingerstyle guitarists.

Good point, but the "regular" music from that time was much more... what's the word, you know, sporadic, free, intense, varied. A lot of the "folk" music was not written into notes, but taught to the next generation. Can certainly understand that the big works from various composers where considered the pop music of that time.

A more "pop" alternative inspired by the old styles can be for example Knut Reiersrud - Himmelturen which oddly enough I have trouble finding for some reason, have heard it on the radio. But another example that sounds similar can be Øystein Sandbukt - Gammel reinlender

If you can watch norwegian tv here is a link: NRK TV - Folklab: Live - 1:7

Link to album in flac:
Normør by Øystein Sandbukt | GubeMusic

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Thanks for this thread! I have some problems finding new music.

cdbaby looks like a great site to check stuff out and I will be checking out Rick Ruskin.

I found out about a band while watching a Ted Talk about JPL and the design of the Mars rovers. One of the JPL employees who was involved in the design of the rovers is in a band called Beware of Safety. Pretty cool stuff.

Cheers
Matt

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
H*discovered while watching "Badlands" but it took me years to find out who wrote it and where to get it.
Funny! I was the inverse for me. I own several versions of Carmina Burana and someone commented "that sounds like the music in Badlands". Thus I discovered Terrence Malick. :)

Was at my brother-in -law's house one day and he had on a DVD of guitarist Johnny-A. I now own a few of his albums.

Funny! I was the inverse for me. I own several versions of Carmina Burana and someone commented "that sounds like the music in Badlands". Thus I discovered Terrence Malick. :)

Was at my brother-in -law's house one day and he had on a DVD of guitarist Johnny-A. I now own a few of his albums.

I hope you have the LP version ,(Carmina Burana) the CD version is lethargic by comparison ...

:cool:

I have experienced the reverse condition....ie two bands that discovered me :cool:.

I got head hunted to do live sound for these guys on tour....good guys and great music.
The Barflys - Whinging HD - YouTube
The Barflys - Thunder Downunder HD - YouTube
The Barflys - The Barflys - HD - YouTube

I also got head hunted to do technical stuff/repairs/mods and live sound for these guys, ...VDELLI | Official Website
Ditto, good guys and great music.

Vdelli are doing another Europe tour Jan 23-Feb 23 2014...Germany, France, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Slovakia, UK - https://www.facebook.com/Vdelli.Band/app_123966167614127

VDELLI Official - YouTube
VDELLI - Never Going Back (live @ Harald Schmidt Show) - YouTube ..check out these videos.
If any European members here are into blues/rock, do yourself a big favour, bookmark the above pages and go see them...very highly recommended.

Dan.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.