• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tell me what this is

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It looks similar to Sansui HF-L60 or HF-V60.

I would agree. Seems to be a very similar topology between the pioneer and this Sansui. HF-v60

HF-V60_5.jpg

Hugh

Huh. A used RCA 5u4 in an ST envelope is worth a lot of money to . . . Someone who imagines it sounds better than an unused, also vintage rectifier of the same specs.

Clearly i'm in the wrong line of work. If i had a tube like that, i'd flip it and use the JJ equivalent in a heartbeat.

.:Sent by pneumatic tubes

HUH? As I said Im not in the line at all. Im telling you the prices I saw. Not interested in a debate with some tube expert just trying find out what I have.When you flip something you get back a profit on top of what it is worth. So flippable things have value in my mind.

Thanks

Last edited:
It may already be set up as a guitar amp. The end jacks are clearly added. The octal socket to the OT would have gone to some distribution assembly - perhaps in a juke box. The two end jacks are wired to it, so they are intended for speakers. The other end jack would be an input. The unused octal socket would have been used for some sort of control interface and/or preamp, but no longer needed after whatever conversion was done.

it doesn't look like something a hifi guy would do, but it sure looks like what a zillion guitar amp converters would do.

A closer look at one of the pics shows a 6SQ7GT

A pioneer pic I posted or on one of the other units shared? Just wondering as I like to get it operational if possible. I have plenty of electrical experience but I have never touched one of these things. My field of study would leave me to believe it could be laid out much cleaner on the inside. Are modern ones laid out the same way or do the have PCB? How do you keep track of such spaghetti?

sorry if that seemed vague but at this point resolving whether or not it "works as is" would be better then wondering what to do with it, no?
most of your posts seem to be car audio related so if you feel out of your depth here ask for more help/information tubes and high voltages are a whole different ball game in some respects.
kudos for stepping out of your comfort zone!

Im not intimidated I just dont want to go in blind and create more damage. Yes much more caution needs to be observed off a wall socket for sure. The members made a mention of the 5V4 needing to be swapped out for a 5U4 . The admiral tube also seems to have a crack in its plastic base.The 6SQ7GT post has me lost as I dont see anything denoted that on the pioneer. Those are my questions so far. Since I dont have 2 for stereo operation Id likely repair it or just keep it as an antique conversation piece that just happens to work. As an antique it may be worthy of a collectors coin. Maybe not but it should make a unique piece to look at when in operation. Maybe I could just drive a single Tannoy driver with it. I have one 6.5 on hand from my sound quality car audio days .

Last edited:
These 2 both read 6SN7- GT on the bottles. So are they just different brands NEC, Admiral anybody? If they are pairs should they match in specs or in other respects? A lot of variations and jargon that's foreign to me when I'm looking at specs to buy them. The transformers look like bricks but do last a long time?

See the crack in the Admiral bottles base....

Attachments

• 20160517_164227.jpg
    20160517_164227.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
A closer look at one of the pics shows a 6SQ7GT

The photo was blurry, but this is a 6SG7GT not "Q" if that what you were speaking of. I asked but no one answered.

548762d1463080808-tell-me-what-20160512_150913.jpg

here's the same guy on ebay

!BlF+SM!!Wk~$(KGrHqEH-CUEtfHUMSQQBL,NqECYv!~~_12.JPG

All of the numbers I posted with the photos are correct. All of them them are what I actually have here. No alphabets or numbers have been incorrectly stated. I don't know anything about tube amps but I'm not illiterate fellas. I know all my alphabets.... LOL!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.