Teflon insulated magnet wire?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
From the Silver Audio website

Using one-of-kind extrusion technology, Silver Audio can produce fine gauge, solid core silver wire with the thinnest layer Teflon® type insulations in the world; an enviable capability that can yield a wall thickness of less than 0.001 inch. Combining this feature with cutting edge, high performance conductor geometries and the unmatched dielectric properties of FEP and PFA polymers greatly reduces capacitance-related “signal ghost” anomalies inherent to all dielectrics and more common cable designs. Our thin-layer extrusion prevents heat-induced partial annealing of the wire and is 1000 volt spark tested to eliminate any possibility for micro-arching and also reduces break-in time. Perhaps most importantly; micro-thin wall insulation is an absolutely essential requirement to form Silver Audio’s advanced geometries such as those used for the Hyacinth™, Jetstream™, Appassionata™, Silver Symphony™ and Hyaline™. This powerful capability ultimately gives Silver Audio the security and prestige that comes from a product line that cannot be imitated by any other company.

Silver Audio offers as OEM material, subject to restrictions, our silver wire drawn to any gauge and temper, insulated with any Teflon®-family insulation including FEP, PFA and Teflon AF™ in virtually any wall thickness.

Silver Audio

I spoke with the proprietor of Silver Audio, Max Kreifeldt, who confirmed he has capabilities to coat silver wire with teflon to a coating thickness of 0.001". Assume the wire needed for a 300B SE OPT primary is ~0.16mm = 34 AWG = 0.00630", coating thickness of 0.001" constitutes ~15% of wire thickness for an overall thickness of 0.0073", slightly larger than 32 AWG.

Max has spark tested 0.001" teflon to 1000V. I'm unsure if 1000V is adequate for OPT purposes. Anyone know what is required in this regard?

Neither do I know if 0.001" teflon would not spark test at a much higher voltage (seems to me 1000V is conservative for that thickness).

Max also questioned whether teflon coating would withstand winding tension requirements. Teflon, being somewhat soft, is subject to wall creep ... ie, it squishes away under pressure. Anyone know typical and minimum winding tensions required for winding transformers?

Re: From the Silver Audio website

serengetiplains said:
Using one-of-kind extrusion technology, Silver Audio can produce fine gauge, solid core silver wire with the thinnest layer Teflon® type insulations in the world; an enviable capability that can yield a wall thickness of less than 0.001 inch. Combining this feature with cutting edge, high performance conductor geometries and the unmatched dielectric properties of FEP and PFA polymers greatly reduces capacitance-related “signal ghost” anomalies inherent to all dielectrics and more common cable designs. Our thin-layer extrusion prevents heat-induced partial annealing of the wire and is 1000 volt spark tested to eliminate any possibility for micro-arching and also reduces break-in time. Perhaps most importantly; micro-thin wall insulation is an absolutely essential requirement to form Silver Audio’s advanced geometries such as those used for the Hyacinth™, Jetstream™, Appassionata™, Silver Symphony™ and Hyaline™. This powerful capability ultimately gives Silver Audio the security and prestige that comes from a product line that cannot be imitated by any other company.

Silver Audio offers as OEM material, subject to restrictions, our silver wire drawn to any gauge and temper, insulated with any Teflon®-family insulation including FEP, PFA and Teflon AF™ in virtually any wall thickness.

They're just a middleman.

I don't like how they mislead people to believe that the technology and marterials are uniquely theirs and refer to such things as "our facility" (elsehwere on their website). It'd be like me referring to Jensen Transformer's facilities as "our facilities."

That's not to say that their products are bad of course.

se

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

The latter probably coats wire for Silver Audio.

Probably so but if they have an exclusive deal then you're stuck with them.
It's not as if we're talking tens of thousands of dollars here, are we?

Anyone know typical and minimum winding tensions required for winding transformers?

You'll always want a good fill factor so some tension will be required for that....
Something to put on the "to ask" list when I talk to the Tribute folk.

Cheers,;)

After some waiting, I received word back from a company that coats wire with teflon. Set up costs for coating a run of wire are high at $1500, but the information is otherwise encouraging. Will be interesting to see how the specifications quoted below compare with those I expect to receive from California Fine Wire. Here's the text of the email I received:

Hi Tom,

I would recommend a thickness of 0.0015" for the 1000 VDC and 0.0025" for the 2000 VDC. Both Teflon PFA or ETFE coating are equally good. Coating quality depends a lot on how clean the wire is. When the wire is clean even coating as thin as 0.001" will withstand 2000 VDC. The set up charge for a run is $1500.00 and the price per foot is $0.42. There is no minimum order requirement. Please let me know if I could be of any further assistance.

Best regards,
Ilia

Dr. Ilia Koev Director R&D Biogeneral, Inc 9925 Mesa Rim Road San Diego, CA 92121 Phone: 858 453-2966 Fax: 858 453-0546

California Fine Wire

California Fine Wire can teflon-coat wire in thicknesses ranging from 0.0059" (0.15mm) to 0.03937" (1mm). A CFW engineer will call me tomorrow to give DC voltage ratings for those thicknesses.

The company has capabilities to draw wire to a tolerance of 0.000025" and manufactures at the Six Sigma quality level (fewer than 3.4 defects per million parts).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.