Tecnics SU-Z1 to refurbish

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
There is some protection, in the form of a discrete circuit connected to the STK2028, that shuts down drive to the chip when there is a fault voltage present. Check that there is no DC voltage at the output terminals (with no input or output connections!) It should not exceed ~40 mV. If there is a higher DC voltage, maybe even up to the rail voltage of near 40V, you have a failed STK2028 and probably one AN7060 too. This is very common on this amplifier, as this thread tells you earlier.
schematic: http://msc-media.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/su-z1.pdf

I cant see how you can be blowing stk modules like this. I've built amps with these a couple of times and literally abused the **** outta them and never had one blow.

I even removed the heatsink once, took 30 minutes of overheating before the thing finally died.

I'd say these modules are pretty darn rugged and reliable. Though i've only dealt with the low power ones below 45 watts.

However i don't see why these would be any less reliable than any discrete design, since they after all are little discretely built amplifiers inside the plastic.

Heres my latest play with these modules: STK407-050 without cover blasting it - YouTube
can i add heatsink and cooling fan to make it coller or how to make it more durable?,change the better stk chip or other chip?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I think you may not understand what the circuit requirements are. Simply changing the 2 chips and one transistor that make up the amplifier wont make any differences because there are almost no substitute parts. Also, I asked you to measure a voltage to find out if the hybrid amplifier has failed. If it has failed, it needs replacement but upgrades for old hybrid amplifiers are not easily done. You could increase the size and thickness of the heatsink and that would be a help in extending the life of a new STK2028. You could also substitute with ST2038 which is also in some versions but the same heatsink size increase is necessary. I dont know of any other substitute parts.

The problem lies in the expected use. If ambient temperature is high (Malaysia is quite hot) and you use low speaker impedance like 4R or 2 pairs of speakers, a small amplifier like this will be stressed because not enough cooling is available. It does need more cooling but fans are not necessary and also need their own power.

I think you may not understand what the circuit requirements are. Simply changing the 2 chips and one transistor that make up the amplifier wont make any differences because there are almost no substitute parts. Also, I asked you to measure a voltage to find out if the hybrid amplifier has failed. If it has failed, it needs replacement but upgrades for old hybrid amplifiers are not easily done. You could increase the size and thickness of the heatsink and that would be a help in extending the life of a new STK2028. You could also substitute with ST2038 which is also in some versions but the same heatsink size increase is necessary. I dont know of any other substitute parts.

The problem lies in the expected use. If ambient temperature is high (Malaysia is quite hot) and you use low speaker impedance like 4R or 2 pairs of speakers, a small amplifier like this will be stressed because not enough cooling is available. It does need more cooling but fans are not necessary and also need their own power.
i found a chip is stk 2058iv maybe have higher watt,it can install?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
No! - STK2058 and 2038 are complete amplifiers, according to datasheets. I was misled by a previous post regarding STK2038. These are only available as used parts - no true guarantees they are good from Dalbani or other recycled parts sellers. Check what you are looking at first, similar numbers mean nothing.

STK2028 is the output stage transistors only - a hybrid pair of Darlington transistors for each channel. If you want to try substituting modules, you need to study the datasheets and application notes to be sure of what you have and build a whole new amplifier to suit them, unfortunately. STK2028 is designed to work with AN7060 as a high voltage input stage and VAS transitors are the only other semiconductors required in the SUZ1 amplifier design. Other parts are for a power supply and safety circuit.

No! - STK2058 and 2038 are complete amplifiers, according to datasheets. I was misled by a previous post regarding STK2038. These are only available as used parts - no true guarantees they are good from Dalbani or other recycled parts sellers. Check what you are looking at first, similar numbers mean nothing.

STK2028 is the output stage transistors only - a hybrid pair of Darlington transistors for each channel. If you want to try substituting modules, you need to study the datasheets and application notes to be sure of what you have and build a whole new amplifier to suit them, unfortunately. STK2028 is designed to work with AN7060 as a high voltage input stage and VAS transitors are the only other semiconductors required in the SUZ1 amplifier design. Other parts are for a power supply and safety circuit.
then how about 2038?because it is a newer wersion

Hi, I hope its ok to resurrect this old thread :)

I have a Technics SU-Z11 also with a STK2028 amp. I'm wondering if the symptoms my amp has leans towards a blown STK2028 also?

Symptoms are very similar, when I plug in headphones the amp works fine, even at very loud volume (but the headphones have 330 Ohm resisters in series). But when I plug in speakers to the right channel only the amp shuts down almost immediately, maybe 2 seconds later. Left is fine. I measured the speaker outputs for DC, both left and right have 30mV DC present.

One other thing, when listening through headphones the right channel seems louder at all volumes. My thoughts were the right channel is being overdriven but is that even possible with these STK chips? i'm not sure considering the biasing is internal.

Thanks for reading, cheers for now.

Well, as usual, our good Sakis was correct.
I did exactly that...
Made up a P3A from ESP original PCB,
Recapped PS, new output connectors.
And that's it!
Only the tone controls are inoperative, since they were built between the original front end and the STK module (that is OP only). Too much complicate to preserve them, for what they are worth...

I did similar thing to Z11 and also got tone controls working. For that I wired dual OP amplifier in a An7060s place(es). Reduced R317/R318 from 12K ohms to 1,5K ohms. Otherwise gain was too high. This worked but was too noisy, so I put loudness and volume potentiometer after former An7060s, now op amplifiers. Now it works normally.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.