Technics SL-5210 turntable recap or leave it

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi :)

I know recapping a cd player has great benefits in sound quality.:D

I looked at my SL5210, which is working well etc. I only see on the single pcb which includes power section, control etc, no audio section? Recapping improve the sonics ?:confused:, or just re-wiring the tonearm which I have 32awg of silver plated copper I was going to use on the arm

DIY pure silver interconnect and cart wires are silver also, van den hul,and trusty old MP11 cart

Hi,

if everything works seemingly well, there´s no need to swap parts.
The power circuit of the Technics SLs is rather insensitive to that issue as the voltage overhead of the regulator circuit is unusally high (>30V to 12V)
Even though the smoothing cap´s value is low -so that a considerable amount of ripple is entering the regulator the remaining headroom is soo high that it probabely even could work without a smoothing cap.
The local supply caps are rather small also, but then the control circuit in itself behaves insensitive to power supply variations or disturbances.
Still though when I built the MyTechnics from a SL-5210 donor, I replaced the transformer and associated circuitry by a SMPS with lower output voltage and the regulator by a 3-pin IC-Regulator, as well as most lytics, just because of less heat power losses and more convenience.
It did stabilize the supply lines, but did it improve sound?
Dunno ... may be yes maybe not,I changed too many variables at the same to be sure ... probabely it was just good for a positive gut feeling.
Some tweakers claim true sound miracles when changing motor supplies, of course(?) most of them owing belt drives and regularly not knowing the whats and whys of electronics.
I´m very sceptic about such claims especially if a system as a whole changes measurably more with every degree change of temperature or any other parameter.
So, if things work flawlessly with Your TT and unless You know what Your doing, don´t change parts unneccessarily.

jauu
Calvin

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.