Technics SL-1200 DC Power Supply

10 -15 VA torroid and PCB with rectifier , filter and primary regulator then feed that into the main board. Torroids have far lower EMI and the small blue ones would fit into that well with a screw from the bottom to secure it.
The LAB-500 I have received a recap and a lower voltage regulator 18v from 22v.
Any audible hum is from what unit is under the TT rather then the power transformer
the speed switch may get a reed relay or CD4066 upgrade.

Hi,

there's nothing to worry about putting the SMPS into the Deck.
The reason to put a Trafo outside is the considerable magnetic stray field which You can't shield as simple and easy as a electrical field.
Since pickups are 'magnetic' generators that pick up the stray field You don't want them near -especially not those oscillating within the audible range.
But putting the supply outside opens a different can of worms ... its not a win-only situation.

jauu
Calvin

An SMPS solution for sale on Ebay:

What's the other board for?

I want to convert my US SL1200 to 230V. I have read the thread several times now and here I link all important posts for my project. Maybe it will be useful for others too.

• I will be using the Mean Well RS-15-24.
  • I will use ferrite rings on primary and secondary sides.
  • Fuse will be switched to half the current.
  • I will replace the switch suppressor capacitor

Calvin suggests using internal SMPS, Meanwell PM-10-24

Calvin verfies SMPS solution

noviygera reads spec to find EMI filter is built in

noviygera tries the PM-10-24. Low torque. Needs ferrite rings.

AddiDub suggests using RS-15-24

AddiDub supplies schematic

Calvin replies to yakeface. Fuse needs to be smaller

coolmaster points out the switch suppressor capacitor needs replacing

Calvin questions using external smps

• I will be using the Mean Well RS-15-24.
  • I will use ferrite rings on primary and secondary sides.
  • Fuse will be switched to half the current.
  • I will replace the switch suppressor capacitor

Hi, the posts you have linked discuss different matters. First two points are about using a smps instead of a transformer. The second two points are only useful If you replace the Technics transformer with a toroidal transformer.

I removed the original transformer and the psu board. The SMPS output is connected directly to the switch and to the main board where i removed the rectifier.

That means that you end up with an always on SMPS, only the load ist switched. There is also no fuse left in my build and altough it works perfect i dont know how safe it is. That ist why i did not document it further, because i still consider it to be a beta version and not a final approach.

I bet Calvin has a more professionell attempt when he mods Technics players to switching power supplies. Maybe he will share more insights of how to do it right?

About five years ago, I externalised the PSU of an SL1700, and while I was at it, the motor control circuitry too.

I thought I might as well externalise the motor too, while I was at it.

To be fair, it was a scrapper, and no viable Technics TTs were hurt in the making of this ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20190404_074405325.jpg
    IMG_20190404_074405325.jpg
    639 KB · Views: 323
I have done rebuilding the power supply with the small MeanWell SMPS. I believe successfully. But.

I have a lot of induced noise from the signal cable. The amout of noice is dependent on how I place the cable. The only "workable" position is over the preamp.

There is still noise when I turn off the player.

My old european (dual voltage) SL-1200 MKII doesn't have this noise at all. Just connect and play.

I have connected protective earth to the SMPS. Maybe this is causing the problems? I cannot figure out why if so.

Edit:

The problem is probably because of the home made cabling lacking screen.

As soon as I get rid of the noise I will post pictures.

Last edited: