TDA8920B - Design Partners Wanted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
classd_fromru said:

Hi classd_fromru. Your board was first that makes me think in using TDA8920 to this project. You made it very small, just one layer and just one wire-jump!!!!
TDA8920B (upgrated version of TDA8920) schematic in NPX´s datasheet is quiet different to TDA8920 (without "B"). GND and supply are diferent. Also some components are removed or changed.

First approach was using your layout instead PCB in datasheet for TDA8920 because simplicity. But I got 8920B instead 8920 so none of PCB layouts are designed for this version.

TDA8920B has not any PCB from NXP datasheets.

Because changes in schematic for "B" version and the fact that SMD capacitors and other components are very hard to find in local market, I decided to start from schatch. Also in a new design, I decided implement other features as BTL-SE jumper setting, mainboard with 2 x TDA8920B modules support for BTLx2 or SEx4, etc.

Since I´m not so good in electronic issues, I started this post.
Could you please take a look to my design?

Thanks a lot, Rodolfo

Hi.
I don't sale PCB or complete board since I made it just for me to test chip. Anyway I have a hard to find datasheet fot 8920B that has evaluation PCB (Datasheet found in NXP has none). Datasheet is not posted in NXP website. Developers of NXP sent it to me by mail.
So, if you have in mind to build your board to test 8920B, I could send datasheet or my own designed board (Protel) that could help you.
NXP board is very similar to 8920: SMD components, double side ond very small. Mine uses just SMD 1205 100uf caps and 8920B chip. Other components are all trough-hole. Board is single side.
Write me to rodolfo@kashima.com.ar if you want any file.
Rodolfo

First of all, I would like to introduce me as a newbie in audio design, I didn't make any circuit for this purpose, and I am trying to learn and understand class d amplification.

I tried a first design using TDA8920BTH, but unfortunately it didn't work propertly. I installed all SMD components except electrolythic capacitors in input stage, beads and lpf capacitors at output stage.

My questions is: What kind of inductor is best for output stage? I used a ferrite SMD shielded one, but I'm not very sure if it works propertly.

The adverse effects I found in my first release are:
- It doesn't gets full power. I don't use any dissipator, but I have only 5 Watts per channel in SE mode.
- When I plug it, I have an unconfortable pumping effect at start that erratically takes from 2 to 5 seconds to dissapear. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.