TDA7379 simple amp noise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
still i dont understand how am i suppose to fight the noise with voltmeter...any more detailed instructions would be welcomed...meanwhile i connected 2 9 volt batteries instead of wall brick for a test, and while the amp played with heavy distortion (probably the batteries cannot supply enough current), it was dead silent when idle and input cables connected.....so assuming the noise is some kind of power ripple , how do i eliminate it? adding more decoupling capacitors?

smarg said:
and i noticed now something interesting - as long as there is incoming signal (phone playing some music) - there is no noise in the output signal. i mean i can't hear it even when i low the volume almost to silent. however when i stop the playback - the noise returns after couple of seconds. maybe these hints can help....
This behaviour is due to the source shutting off its headphone amplifier when not in use. Shut off, source impedance becomes hi, so capacitive coupling to noise is not shortcut by lo source impedance. If we turn volume to full left, parking the potentiometer wiper on ground, noise should stop.

If impedance is really hi, then even a short cable might be too long, if not shielded. Also try moving things around.

Attachments

• IMG_20161025_214650.jpg
    IMG_20161025_214650.jpg
    781.9 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
well, these chepo switching powersupplys can do interesting things so to say,
i would not be surprised if that was one source of your problems.

i would not trust these things ever.
maybe you could salvage a proper transformator and build a psu ?
that would be the route i would take.
as from battery power the thing works allmost fine, expect for the headphone cut out noise, witch should be solvable with a resistor paralell to the chipamp input.

something that puts out 10 to 12 VAC would be sufficient.
50-80 VA rated one will be more than good enough.
then supposedly you just have to rectify it with a diode bridge, and add some reservoir/buffer/tank capacitors. preferably rated to 25 volts.
something like 10000 uFD /25 V will do the trick.

Still...my original question is unanswered. When I touch the ground line, all noises disappear. This gives me some hope..how the circuit "sees" me? What happens here? What can be connected to the ground (instead of my finger..) to have the same effect?

Sent from my MI 4W using Tapatalk

well, you could try a pair of diodes in anti-paralell bypassed by a 10 ohm is least 5 watt rated resistor, separate power ground and signa ground and connect them with this contraption as a ground lift network.
it *should* work.
you would allso need a 15 Kohm is resistor from input to ground to set dc parameters for the amplifier, that may allso help.

Arty, thanks for your help...drawing is certainly nice, however my goal is not to copy someone else schematics and just build the thing (this is too of course..), my main goal is to learn in the process and to understand why the things behave the way they do, according to what laws, etc...so if you could explain for example why i need resistor to ground from input, what this does ,etc...this would be great! thanks again

So, it was power supply to blame..I switched to transformer based power supply and the noise is gone. ..very faint noise still can be heard very closely to speaker ( and it still goes away when I touch the heatsink), but practically I can say there is no noise anymore.

Sent from my MI 4W using Tapatalk

smarg said:
Still...my original question is unanswered. When I touch the ground line, all noises disappear. This gives me some hope..how the circuit "sees" me? What happens here? What can be connected to the ground (instead of my finger..) to have the same effect?
A metal statue of thy size and proportions. Thy body acts as a capacitive (or electromagnetic anyway) shield. That switching power supply obviously uses a transformer with a strong stray field.

Cheers

SMPS' tend to have some pretty interesting ideas about where their output ground should be. This problem really sounds like a common-mode noise issue. It would be interesting to know whether putting the circuit inside a metal case connected to ground eliminates the noise - if so, it's capacitive coupling of some part to the environment. Connecting it to a source that is earthed should have a similar effect.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.