Tapped horn theory

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Either you take the volume into account or not, the reality will be the same no matter what.
Question is if I should simulate it? -We did & we did compensate for this.
Some must have been working with this before

If u don't I guess there will be a narrow spot where the driver is?

No, reality is not the same until the driver's acoustic resistance/impedance is small relative to the horn's cross sectional area [CSA].

Should one simulate it? Ideally, yes, but it is up to the individual to decide how accurate you want the sim to be and/or if one wants it to act as a constriction in the pipe to create a separate vent of sorts.

Then there's the potential cooling aspects of the driver motor when called upon to 'sink'/dissipate large amounts of power for any extended period, hopefully limiting thermal power compression, though of course a moot point for typical HIFI/HT apps.

Still think it makes no sense? ;)

GM

No, not really!? :)
I mean it does NOT make any real world difference whether you take the driver into account or not in your simulation, ain't going to change no wood in speakers.

That's the whole point of simulation, not having to build first:)

You answer " Some do, some don't; there's advantages to either depending on the driver, desired alignment."

I mean I don't see the advantage of NOT doing it!
The closer to reality the better, whether you want cooling or not

I mean I don't see the advantage of NOT doing it!
The closer to reality the better, whether you want cooling or not

If the mouth of the horn (S4-S5) is large, then the effect of the driver's body on the response is minimal.

If the mouth is small, however...

Easiest way to avoid the issue is to make the mouth large enough in the first place.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.